PDA

View Full Version : Graphics

tim2006
Apr 14, 2007, 09:47 AM
Are there any good articles out there re graphics for the current video game generation? If both the 360 and PS3 use hdmi at 1080p/720p what will make there graphics any different?

Dagless
Apr 14, 2007, 10:05 AM
None. There will be no difference between the 2.

Unless you want 4D graphics of course...

tim2006
Apr 14, 2007, 10:07 AM
http://www.macworld.com/news/2005/05/17/xbocps3/index.php

Mackilroy
Apr 15, 2007, 01:25 AM
That article is rather inaccurate. The Killzone footage was pre-rendered, for one… the graphics of both consoles will not be too terribly different, save on exclusives.

GFLPraxis
Apr 15, 2007, 03:37 AM
That article is rather inaccurate. The Killzone footage was pre-rendered, for one… the graphics of both consoles will not be too terribly different, save on exclusives.

Nobody knew that at the time that article was written. After E3 05 Sony had everyone believing the PS3's graphics were a bazillion times superior, even IGN and G4.

tim2006
Apr 15, 2007, 12:08 PM
what happened to the final product?

Mackilroy
Apr 15, 2007, 03:42 PM
Nobody knew that at the time that article was written. After E3 05 Sony had everyone believing the PS3's graphics were a bazillion times superior, even IGN and G4.

True…

what happened to the final product?

It ran into reality. ;)

Don't get me wrong, the PS3 has very good graphics, and so does the 360. I have both, so I've seen what they can do right now.

LastLine
Apr 15, 2007, 07:20 PM
Like someone else said, it's likely that it'll only be exclusive's that show a major difference - and in that case, it comes down to not so much what power is there, as to how it's used. Take two exclusive's to the 360 for example. Dead or Alive 4 - goregous graphics, very high detail and not much on screen at once. Dead Rising - realistically prev gen graphics, but done en-mass, using the consoles capabilities to produce hoards and hoards of zombies.

I think that makes sense anyway.

sarcosis
Apr 15, 2007, 08:50 PM
Currently, I think that the XBox 360 is better. Nothing can beat Gears of War. Well, perhaps Rainbow Six Vagas. Both are using Unreal Engine 3. I think that the year that the 360 had gave devs time to figure out what was going on. This is why the 360 prolly looks better. I don't think that we will ever see a huge difference till the end life of the consoles. That's when we will see what's going on.

Chone
Apr 15, 2007, 09:23 PM
I think we'll see differences in capabilities, the 360 has a great general purpose processor with 3 cores and great graphics card, the PS3 has a good graphics card but the processor is what it shines.

360 games might look better but its possible PS3 games might have more stuff going on and or better physic models at the expense of lower resolutions and possibly less shader intensive graphic effects.

I mean really the hardware in these two is completely different and cell is quite an specialized architecture.

Maybe we should have this argument 2 years from now, right now X360 and PS3 have exact graphics (the difference is neglible unless looking hard for it side by side).

In any case, any console purchase should be based on what games it can run not console's performance.

GFLPraxis
Apr 15, 2007, 09:28 PM
Currently, I think that the XBox 360 is better. Nothing can beat Gears of War. Well, perhaps Rainbow Six Vagas. Both are using Unreal Engine 3. I think that the year that the 360 had gave devs time to figure out what was going on. This is why the 360 prolly looks better. I don't think that we will ever see a huge difference till the end life of the consoles. That's when we will see what's going on.
Except that Unreal 3 Engine is going to be on PS3 too, so once again, they'll be about the same.