PDA

View Full Version : Lair - WATCH THIS NOW

fiercetiger224
Apr 14, 2007, 06:48 PM
PART 1 - http://www.gametrailers.com/player.php?id=18580&type=wmv

PART 2 - http://www.gametrailers.com/player.php?id=18585&type=wmv

I just watched both of these, and all I can say is...WOW. The most impressive game I've seen to date! :D

The guy talks about "progressive mesh" and how it's only possible with the Cell processor, etc. Interesting stuff.

Also, if I heard correctly, he said the game was easier to program for on the PS3 than the PS2? :eek:

Dagless
Apr 14, 2007, 06:57 PM
And the adverts for them just crashed out Safari.

Redneck1089
Apr 14, 2007, 07:30 PM
Very cool vid. I wouldn't mind picking up a PS3 as soon as there is a little bit of a price drop. Lair is going to be an awesome game. :D

psychofreak
Apr 14, 2007, 07:36 PM
I think that the next generation will achieve true photo-realism for people, and this generation will be close at the end of it's lifetime :)

xUKHCx
Apr 14, 2007, 07:40 PM
I don't like the waves that ripple out from the explosions, doesn't look very good.

psychofreak
Apr 14, 2007, 07:43 PM
I don't like the waves that ripple out from the explosions, doesn't look very good.

I think it shows potential more than anything for how realistic games on this and future consoles could be :)

steelfist
Apr 15, 2007, 02:06 AM
next time post quicktime links instead of windows media. my mac is slow when it comes to windows media files. it looks great, it's hard to imagine how it can be any better in terms of graphics, but that was what i was thinking in 2003 when i first saw the doom 3 and half-life 2 physics, AI, and graphics demos.:rolleyes:

fiercetiger224
Apr 15, 2007, 03:13 AM
next time post quicktime links instead of windows media. my mac is slow when it comes to windows media files. it looks great, it's hard to imagine how it can be any better in terms of graphics, but that was what i was thinking in 2003 when i first saw the doom 3 and half-life 2 physics, AI, and graphics demos.:rolleyes:

Sorry, I should have stated that this was HD WMV. :confused:

But yeah, I can't wait to play this game on my TV, and it looks like a really fun game too. This game just looks unbelievable, just like Crysis. Can't wait! :D I'm glad I put my money down for a PS3 now.

Temujin
Apr 15, 2007, 01:54 PM
Not that impressed by the cinematics, the in-game graphics is awesome though.

G5Unit
Apr 15, 2007, 02:21 PM
If you ask me the graphics look bland and repetative.

HiRez
Apr 15, 2007, 04:14 PM
It's interesting and somewhat impressive, but I kind of agree with G5Unit, it looks like something I'd get bored of after 30 minutes. It's a prerelease demo, so who knows, maybe there's a lot more to it that we can't see yet.

sikkinixx
Apr 15, 2007, 04:49 PM
I;m not huge on the Lair graphics. They look good close up, textures etc. but I dunno....something about them doesn't knock my socks off.

Still can't wait to pick'r up July 24th/31st :D

BoyBach
Apr 15, 2007, 05:01 PM
But have they fixed the terrible SIXAXIS motion-sensor controls?

Max Payne
Apr 15, 2007, 05:04 PM
The video corrupted my display card of my PC. I had to restart.

JackAxe
Apr 15, 2007, 06:12 PM
WMV. Vomits!!! :) I have Flip 4 Mac which I use for converting this bastard format my "odd" clients sometimes give to me. They offer a free plug-in for playback you peeps should check out. BTW, MS bought this company the other year right when they pulled their MASSIVE-POS WMP from OS X.

Video, one more notch on MS's mediocre belt.

Oooooh, motion control... :eek:

This games looks cool and I look forward to playing it, but it's Factor 5! They made Rogue Squadron 3, :( which is one of the worst Cube games. (The only good part of this game was the RS2 co-op.) It's the only game I owned that actually froze my Cube. They're good with "arcade" flight, but when it comes ot running a character around, they don't know what they're doing. Their earlier RS games were much better.

<]=)

psychofreak
Apr 15, 2007, 06:21 PM
I've recently been playing around with N64, and remember how great the graphics looked on Tekken Tag (my first PS2 game, on the day it came out here after a midnight queue) compared to that. It is amazing that we have come that far in such a short timespan. Tekken Tag looks rubbish compared to the latest PS2 games...

I don't care what Nintendo says, for a lot of games, the graphics improve the gaming experience greatly. I do not currently (and may never) have a PS3, but I am sure that this Lair will look dreadful in a few years compared to what will have been achieved on the same hardware.

fiercetiger224
Apr 15, 2007, 07:15 PM
I've recently been playing around with N64, and remember how great the graphics looked on Tekken Tag (my first PS2 game, on the day it came out here after a midnight queue) compared to that. It is amazing that we have come that far in such a short timespan. Tekken Tag looks rubbish compared to the latest PS2 games...

I don't care what Nintendo says, for a lot of games, the graphics improve the gaming experience greatly. I do not currently (and may never) have a PS3, but I am sure that this Lair will look dreadful in a few years compared to what will have been achieved on the same hardware.

Yeah, right now, these graphics look amazing. If you think these graphics look bland and repetitive, I imagine if you look at it on a 1080p monitor, it'll blow your mind away. Watching this video doesn't show off the true potential. I really want this game now. :cool: I'm sure there's much more that they haven't even shown yet.

gloss
Apr 15, 2007, 07:18 PM
Technically, looks fine. Artistically, blah as hell.

Dagless
Apr 15, 2007, 07:30 PM
XP lets me see all.

This is exactly what I said in that Gameplay/Story/Graphics thread (or whatever it was called) - you can have all the polygons in the world but without art direction or styling you're going to get this kind of game.
I'd love to see something like this with the Crysis engine though. Whilst this looks brilliant, it's still not realistic looking like Crysis. Gameplay looks... well I thought they might have changed it a little bit from Rogue Leader 2.

ps. Please offer multiple links next time. It took an age to load the HD vid so I had to trawl through and find the SD version.

SamIchi
Apr 15, 2007, 08:25 PM
WMV?!?!? How dare you!

http://www.gametrailers.com/player.php?id=18585&type=mov

Looks alright... Doesn't really peak my interest.

ZorPrime
Apr 15, 2007, 08:38 PM
WMV. Vomits!!! :) I have Flip 4 Mac which I use for converting this bastard format my "odd" clients sometimes give to me. They offer a free plug-in for playback you peeps should check out. BTW, MS bought this company the other year right when they pulled their MASSIVE-POS WMP from OS X.

Video, one more notch on MS's mediocre belt.

Oooooh, motion control... :eek:

How ironic is that... this is M$'s mode of operation. They did it to Bungie and now Flip 4 Mac. No matter what they do, they can't keep the Mac down. :apple: :cool:

mrgreen4242
Apr 15, 2007, 09:02 PM
Meh. I read all the hype around these trailers, but just watched them now. The textures look pretty decent and the water is pretty nice, until it forms a wave, then it looks pretty terrible. The fire and explosions look awful as well. Same for the smoke; little white puffy balls? :rolleyes: The dragon itself has something wrong with it... the wings don't seem to reacting to the air right when they flap. Hard to explain what I mean, but it's just not real looking.

Gameplay looks really boring/repetitive, as mentioned. The long draw distance is impressive, though. All in all, completely unimpressed.

GFLPraxis
Apr 15, 2007, 09:27 PM
Graphics are impressive, VERY impressive, but the gameplay looks EXACTLY like Rogue Squadron 3. Even down to the "run around on foot" parts.

savar
Apr 15, 2007, 10:55 PM
I hate websites that resize my browser window...don't they realize that I set it to the size that I like it?

Anyway, the game looks cool. I don't see myself buying a PS3 just for it, but its good to see people pushing the limits.

fiercetiger224
Apr 16, 2007, 01:43 PM
Graphics are impressive, VERY impressive, but the gameplay looks EXACTLY like Rogue Squadron 3. Even down to the "run around on foot" parts.

Yeah, I certainly hope it isn't exactly like Rogue Squadron 3...Hopefully the controls will be fluid and the gameplay will be deep. We'll have to see...At E3 that is... :rolleyes:

GFLPraxis
Apr 16, 2007, 09:30 PM
Yeah, I certainly hope it isn't exactly like Rogue Squadron 3...Hopefully the controls will be fluid and the gameplay will be deep. We'll have to see...At E3 that is... :rolleyes:

I'll make sure to try it this year :D

Dagless
Apr 16, 2007, 09:36 PM
I'll make sure to try it this year :D

Can your Wii or Cube play PAL discs? I'll send you RS3 :)

GFLPraxis
Apr 16, 2007, 09:43 PM
Can your Wii or Cube play PAL discs? I'll send you RS3 :)

I have RS3 already :p I mean I'll try Lair at E3 :D :p