Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gallick

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 3, 2007
Hi all.

I'm looking at getting a 13.3" Macbook in the next few months with the following specs:

-2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
-Either 1GB or 2GB RAM

I was curious about running Final Fantasy XI on Boot Camp. My only concern is about the video card--my gut tells me it will not be able to run FFXI. However, according to the Intel website, FFXI is usable with this card:

http://www.intel.com/support/gr...-021400.htm

With a little digging I found out that the 945GM Express Chipset Family includes the GMA 950. So, my questions are:

1) Are there any Macbook users out there with this card and similar specs that run FFXI on Boot Camp or Parallels? If so, how does it run? Have you encountered any problems?

And if not...

2) Are there any people that own a Macbook with these specifications (or comparable ones) that would be willing to download the Benchmark from the FFXI website (http://www.playonline.com/ff11us/dow...?pageID=media), run it in Boot Camp or Parallels (or both!) and let me know if it works/how high your bench score is?

Thanks in advance for any help I can get.

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
There's only been one video card available with the MacBook, so anyone with the same (or similar) RAM and clock speed (which would pretty much be everyone anyway) should be able to provide a decent benchmark.

That said, I only know one person who's played any non-emulated FF games on a PC, and it wasn't on a MacBook.

coolayers64

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2007
Positively yes

I realize this post is a few months old, and the person in question has probably bought his macbook by now, but...

I have a 13" macbook with Mac OS X and Windows XP both installed, and I've run FFXI quite beautifully on it. The only issue with Boot Camp and using XP on the macbook is that there is only one mouse button, and XP doesn't know to detect two fingers on the pad + click = right click. Easily bypassed with a USB mouse, and FFXI is mostly keyboard. The only annoying bit is the problem with running FFXI on ANY laptop and that is the lack of a numpad.

-THE Ted

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.