PDA

View Full Version : Mac Plus

blakespot
Mar 14, 2002, 06:43 PM
I am about to buy a Mac Plus (there's always a few on eBay and on LowEndMac's mailing list). Anyone have any thoughts about that? Anyone using a Mac Plus on occasion for anything?

Wanted an original form-factor Mac, and the Plus has SCSI so at least I can load some apps onto a HD and avoid screwing with floppies.

blakespot

IndyGopher
Mar 14, 2002, 06:55 PM
I've got a Mac Classic, a Color Classic, and just picked up a Mac SE a few weeks ago.. all are perfectly functional... there's not TONS you can do with them (unless you have software of the same vintage.. and there is plenty of that out there, too) but I like them. I just found a Mac IIx I would love to give a home, but those monsters take up so much space... might have to rearrange some stuff >=)

Classic
Mar 14, 2002, 07:11 PM
I have a Plus. I found it next to a trashcan in downtown San Francisco. Unfortunately, it didn't have the external hard drive with it, and I don't have any system discs (not have I spent too much time to find any). So, in its current permutation, it doesn't run.

I have heard about people using older external Zip Drives as SCSI drivfes for the Plus, which would allow you to have up to 100MB, instead of 20MB.

I'd definately up the RAM to 4MB instead of the 1 that came with it. Also, it appears that System 6 is the optimal OS to run on a Plus, even though it will support up to 7.5.5

Check out the following links for all kinds of info.

http://www.lowendmac.com/compact/plus.shtml
http://www.jagshouse.com

Here's a link to a Mac Plus web server:

http://aurejac.dyndns.org Not bad for a computer with no hard drive...

Or, depending on what you are doing with it, you can just install a clock on it:

http://www.jovino.com/stuff.html

Enjoy :)

mymemory
Mar 14, 2002, 08:30 PM
Man, you can find Apple computers in the trash in United States :eek:

In my country we only find PCs :(

May be if I go to Japan I may find an Onix2 :D

irmongoose
Mar 14, 2002, 09:37 PM
nah... in japan you find macs in the garbage too.... but more PCs

:)

irmongoose

AmbitiousLemon
Mar 14, 2002, 09:40 PM
if you are in the need of old operating systems check out http://www.crihan.fr/proto/perso/hp/hp/macoldiesWEB/doc/hp/tel/macoldiestel.html

ok so its french but i think its pretty easy to understand even without any knowledge of french. i also have systems .1-current in case you need something else. tey are small and the pre system 7 stuff apple doesnt seem to mind people freelely distributing.

eyelikeart
Mar 14, 2002, 10:15 PM
that's really cool AmbitiousLemon...

I have a copy of Photoshop 1.0.7...runs but crashes.....still cool to look at and imagine how basic it used to be....

he he he...

kaltsasa
Mar 16, 2002, 12:36 AM
I used to love sim city on the mac plus.....i want to get it for my palm....that was the first game i ever got for my 575 wayyyyy back in the day.....the nostalga makes me want to cry for the old days.....then my gf looks at me funny.....shes a new mac user , i convinced her to buy an ibook and she's never looked back

Hemingray
Mar 16, 2002, 01:30 AM
Originally posted by eyelikeart
that's really cool AmbitiousLemon...

I have a copy of Photoshop 1.0.7...runs but crashes.....still cool to look at and imagine how basic it used to be....

he he he...

Yup, I have that one too! It's classic! Anyone remember FullPaint or SuperPaint? Back when I was about 5 and used the Mac Plus in our house those were the programs I would use to draw pictures. It's still a trip to turn on the old Mac Plus, fire up FullPaint and look at all my crummy old drawings... hehe! I could be wrong, but I think it's running Finder 3.2?? Not sure about the System version, although I think it might be 5.x... that was back when they had separate vers for the finder and system... anyone remember the MiniFinder or the MultiFinder? :D

Memories...

Ensign Paris
Mar 16, 2002, 03:08 AM
I would get a copy of the oldest OS you can find and use it as a web server!

Ensign

kiwi_the_iwik
Mar 16, 2002, 04:18 AM
I bought my first Mac - a 512KE - back in the mid-80's, which stood me in good stead when I went to Auckland University to do Maths, Physics and Engineering (they had rooms upon rooms of '84 Mac 128K's; if only we'd known).

I remember SuperPaint, and other wonderful programs like Flight Simulator, CricketGraph, and the Deja Vu/Uninvited/Shadowgate graphic adventures ("minutes" of fun!). I also remember going over to a friend's place to see her new Mac Plus - and salivating (over the computer as well). Here was a computer that could finally run a decent military flight sim without a hitch (Falcon). Oh, how times have changed...

Tommy!
Mar 16, 2002, 08:05 AM
I have a Mac Plus. That thing is the best computer ever!
I love playing Carmen Sandiego... After all these years I've only had once chance to catch her but I missed her... I was depressed once I got my Performa and I learned Carmen didn't work on it...

Doraemon
Mar 16, 2002, 11:25 AM
http://www.theapplemuseum.com/products/personal/macintosh/mac_plus.html

AlphaTech
Mar 16, 2002, 12:24 PM
Man.. this thread is like a bad flashback, or is that acid trip? I could barely handle how slow my landlord's 7100/66 is. I can't remember back to when I used the Mac II line, let alone consider using it today.

blakespot
Mar 17, 2002, 09:00 AM
Well, I won the auction for the Plus. $52.

Super clean, non-yellowed, Platinum Plus w/ 20MB Rodime HD and Mac carrying bag. Not bad.

(I know you can get one for free many places---but this one is in particularly good condition.)

blakespot

IndyGopher
Mar 17, 2002, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by blakespot
Well, I won the auction for the Plus. $52.

Super clean, non-yellowed, Platinum Plus w/ 20MB Rodime HD and Mac carrying bag. Not bad.

(I know you can get one for free many places---but this one is in particularly good condition.)

blakespot

Congrats! I've seen mint condition MacBags sell for $50 all by themselves. I think you'll really get a kick out of it.

oldMac
Mar 26, 2002, 09:52 AM
I still run photoshop 2.5, but I haven't tried running it on my Plus.

In fact, every time I start it up I get the plugin warning message:

"The Photoshop Accelerator for Power Macintosh requires a PowerPC 601 processor. It will not run on your totally cool new whizbang hardware."

btw... Anybody got an System 6 boot disk handy? I'd gladly pay $10 for someone to ship one to me.

PB180
Mar 26, 2002, 10:31 AM
I still use by Powerbook 180 as my main system... I have Excel 4 and ClarisWorks 5 for it. It makes file transfers to newer macs very easy to have such common software. As for games, I have Connect Four (written in 1985!), an early Tetris game, Civilization 1, and SimCity.

I remember using the Plus until I got to high school.... you still can't beat that small footprint (in a desktop), and it will certainly look retro and cool. I get lots of looks at my old 180 in coffeeshops and libraries!

voicegy
Mar 26, 2002, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by irmongoose
nah... in japan you find macs in the garbage too.... but more PCs

Well...not always. :)

"In a back-alley in Tokyo's famous Akihabara "Electric Town" shopping district, a
cramped used-computer store sells worthless Macintosh computers for prices high enough to
make a geisha drop her soap."

Goshu Trading contains unique treasures. In the middle of the shop floor is a Mac SE 30. But thanks to a lot of money and the guts of a modern iMac, the SE 30 has been converted to run Mac OSX, which normally runs on hardware less than a couple of years old. :eek:

"People care about Macintosh," owner Yang Lee said. "I have no Windows PC customers."

http://www.wired.com/news/mac/0,2125,51231,00.html

Spock
Mar 26, 2002, 01:03 PM
I love classic Mac's my first Macintosh was Plus. When it burned out I was hooked to Macintosh?? I now use a Performa 550 with 36 megs of ram and Sys 7.5.5 I also use a Newton MP 100 I also love the looks that people give me when I pull my old Newton out. People ask "Is that a Palm?' and I say "No it is an Apple".

blakespot
Mar 27, 2002, 06:02 AM
Originally posted by Spock
I love classic Mac's my first Macintosh was Plus. When it burned out I was hooked to Macintosh?? I now use a Performa 550 with 36 megs of ram and Sys 7.5.5 I also use a Newton MP 100 I also love the looks that people give me when I pull my old Newton out. People ask "Is that a Palm?' and I say "No it is an Apple".

Yes, Arn and I would get quite the comments when we had our Newton MP2000's out and about. Of course that was back in '97 when few had even heard of "Palm Pilot" from 3Com. Ahh, technology marches on.

blakespot