PDA

View Full Version : Canada has gay marriage!

rainman::|:|
Jun 17, 2003, 06:22 PM
Those of us following the situation have known this was coming for some time now-- but no one expected it this soon!

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/international/AP-Canada-Same-Sex-Marriage.html
[free registration required]

This puts some serious pressure on the US courts to take affirming steps in this direction... It will be a long time before we get this, but it's coming.

The third great period of the civil rights movement charges on!

Sorry, i know very few people here care, but i'm terribly excited... You don't know how much we want to get married... It doesn't make sense to hate gays because they're promiscuous, then deny them monogamous marriages!!

:) :D :cool: :D :)

a very happy,
paul

MrMacMan
Jun 17, 2003, 08:49 PM
If you really want to be married move to Vermont.

Or move to Canada.

The Pres will never support at all, seriously.

Vermont is the weirdest state, Liberal through and Through, but votes conservative... (another story).

Rower_CPU
Jun 17, 2003, 08:55 PM
I heard about this last week. Very cool news indeed. :)

vniow
Jun 17, 2003, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by paulwhannel
a very happy,
paul

A very happy Veronica too!http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?s=&postid=258478

There was some thing passed here in CA not too long ago that gave same-sex couples almost the same rights and such as straight married couples, don't think it was officially recognized as marriage yet but its a start!

Jun 17, 2003, 10:22 PM
i can't marry my partner in vermont.

that part about moving to canada is tempting tho, especially since they're quickly moving to decriminalize marijuana... (pardon me, ey, i'm stoned... better go back to my hoose) hehe

i think a lot of social change is occuring right now on the subject, and as soon as bush is replaced by a liberal (2008 of course), the government will catch up. Unfortunately these things work in a scale of decades, not months :(

Gray Davis has a really good stance on gay rights, too bad he's facing a recall-- i just think he's become the scapegoat for a lot of things (plus, he's just a tiny bit weird)...

going to a dean for president fundraising dinner next saturday, should be interesting... i know he can't win but i have to support the guy...

pnw

gerror
Jun 18, 2003, 08:45 AM
We have gay marriage in the Netherlands for ages and that is supported by me off course. Now we have somebody who wants to marry herself. Her statement was she would marry anybody she want. I'm not so sure what to think about that :confused:

Jun 18, 2003, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by gerror
We have gay marriage in the Netherlands for ages and that is supported by me off course. Now we have somebody who wants to marry herself. Her statement was she would marry anybody she want. I'm not so sure what to think about that :confused:

yeah people keep pushing it, some because they want to make a point against gay marriage, partially because they're idiots-- a woman tries to marry a horse, a man tries to marry his house. All absurd, but they want to prove that the line cannot be drawn anyplace else than man/woman unions :rolleyes: ... I support the legal definition of marriage "between two consenting adults" with the standard incest provisions that the law currently enforces (except for the south ;))

:)
pnw

Skull Leader
Jun 18, 2003, 02:13 PM
Well, I live in Canada...so can I marry my PowerBook? I just want a pre-nup so that I can have a divorse once the 970s are out....;)

davy the bunny
Jun 18, 2003, 02:18 PM
I don't have much to contribute, except that any human being should be able to be married to any other human being period. Exclamation point, even. . . I'm not gay but I have two friends that are same sex and the happiest couple that you will ever meet. It is complete B.S. for these two to not be able to have it down on paper. That's all.

benjaminpg
Jun 19, 2003, 12:42 AM
This is good news, indeed. I thought it was already allowed in some states here in the U.S., other than Vermont, California, maybe? Doesn't really make sense not to allow it, just another form of discrimination.

As for the people trying to marry their houses, etc. to make a point, it is very hard to see their point. Last I checked, houses are inanimate, and therefore would have a hard time signing marriage documents :p.

solvs
Jun 19, 2003, 03:35 AM
Being straight (not that there's anything wrong with that) this doesn't exactly affect me.

But in the larger scheme of things, this is a pretty good thing. I'd like to think that we live in a free society, and my reasoning behind supporting this is simple: how would I feel if I were in your shoes? If it was (or is it were?) me in this situation, what would I want? How would I feel if the situation reversed, and I couldn't be with the one I loved. No matter how a person feels about homosexuality, what right do they have to force their beliefs on you, tell you how to feel. And how would they feel if the situation was (were) reversed? Saying "it has nothing to do with me" is therefore incorrect. Your right to choose is my right as well.

Because once your rights are taken away, how long until they take away mine.

Selfish, but true.

celaurie
Jun 19, 2003, 05:29 AM
Those of us following the situation have known this was coming for some time now-- but no one expected it this soon!

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/international/AP-Canada-Same-Sex-Marriage.html
[free registration required]

This puts some serious pressure on the US courts to take affirming steps in this direction... It will be a long time before we get this, but it's coming.

The third great period of the civil rights movement charges on!

Sorry, i know very few people here care, but i'm terribly excited... You don't know how much we want to get married... It doesn't make sense to hate gays because they're promiscuous, then deny them monogamous marriages!!

:) :D :cool: :D :)

a very happy,
paul

The sooner the cogs start moving on this thing, the better. I've been in a bi-national relationship (US-UK) for over four years and it's almost impossible for us to be together on any kind of permanent basis.

celaurie
Jun 19, 2003, 05:30 AM
Originally posted by Skull Leader
Well, I live in Canada...so can I marry my PowerBook? I just want a pre-nup so that I can have a divorse once the 970s are out....;)

Only if the Powerbook is gay. :P

oherve
Jun 19, 2003, 06:54 AM
Anyway, this is a very very good thing for canada.
We also have in France a "kind" of gay marriage but the term is different. But I guess will make lot of people happy and maybe things change in the US too.

So congratulations to all the one who will discovering the happyness of marriage !!! ;)

Jun 19, 2003, 07:44 AM
Originally posted by solvs
Being straight (not that there's anything wrong with that) this doesn't exactly affect me.

But in the larger scheme of things, this is a pretty good thing. I'd like to think that we live in a free society, and my reasoning behind supporting this is simple: how would I feel if I were in your shoes? If it was (or is it were?) me in this situation, what would I want? How would I feel if the situation reversed, and I couldn't be with the one I loved. No matter how a person feels about homosexuality, what right do they have to force their beliefs on you, tell you how to feel. And how would they feel if the situation was (were) reversed? Saying "it has nothing to do with me" is therefore incorrect. Your right to choose is my right as well.

Because once your rights are taken away, how long until they take away mine.

Selfish, but true.

actually, i wish more [straight] people felt like this! Most don't give a damn at all, I always wondered why it was so easy to overlook something this big... it's us that want to be married, it's you guys that have the voting majority to make it happen :)

i just love those "defense of marriage" people... i mean, look what you guys have done with marriage (about a dozen cheezy reality shows), and *we're* the ones that would demean it?? It's our turn now :D

and FYI, most macs are gay (trust me on this one, if you don't walk into any high school computer lab-- see how many times you hear "this mac is so gay" ;) :D

pnw

MetallicPenguin
Jun 19, 2003, 11:06 AM
I hope you get what you want!:)

medea
Jun 19, 2003, 05:54 PM

and FYI, most macs are gay (trust me on this one, if you don't walk into any high school computer lab-- see how many times you hear "this mac is so gay" ;) :D
pnw
Hey my mac is not gay, it actually has the persona of a 67 year old male film director who just happens to like younger asian women.....my iPod on the other hand is completely different, he rather likes it in my pocket....oh did I actually type that...heh.

this is good news though, not just for gay people either, this shows that people are becoming more open minded in general which is always a good thing.

MrMacMan
Jun 19, 2003, 09:32 PM
I'm pro-'do whatever the hell you want' with the condition that you know what the consequences are.

Pot, I haven't used it, but whatever, use if, but know that after a while (long term use here) your brain is gonna turn into swiss cheese. :rolleyes:

Canada is gonna be reaally liberal to support both pot, gay marriages and able to not support the U.S ... :eek:

BTW, paulwhannel, why can't you go to vermont?

solvs
Jun 19, 2003, 10:37 PM
My computer's name is Tahni.

I hope she's not gay.

:sighs: Wouldn't be the first time I loved a lesbian.

Jun 21, 2003, 02:29 AM
Originally posted by MrMacman
BTW, paulwhannel, why can't you go to vermont?

I could go get a civil union, not a marriage, and all it's good for is basically tax differences and a few rights, as long as you live in vermont (most other states have signed bills specifically denying same sex marriage, and refusing to acknowledge it from any other state).

I get the feeling Howard Dean was in favor of full marriage (if it was actually that, i'd go just for the title) but he knew the voters would never accept it. But he hopes to overrule the defense of marriage bills and pave the way for federal marriage recognition... so he's got my vote :)

[/soapbox]

hehe

:)
pnw

nazariteguitar
Jun 26, 2003, 11:42 AM
I am From Toronto Canada, and I can't believe what I'm hearing.THIS IS GOOD FOR CANADA, what! I totally don'y hate Gay's, but this is bad news for canada.

There is no such thing as a Gay marrage. It is by it's very defenition one MAN and one Woman. It is not wrong for me to say that I don't thing this is healthy for us.
Our schools will teach it as a normall lifestyle, and we have no legall ground to oppose that since we are going against the law.

We live in a sad day where the LOUD minority makes dessisions while keeping the majority quiet.

If this was done democraticlly this would have never passed.

In all honesty I don't want to, in any way come across that I am trying to separate Gay people and push them off to the side, but I have to look out for the good of my country.

Besides if everyone was Gay, there would be no next generation.

Rower_CPU
Jun 26, 2003, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by nazariteguitar
There is no such thing as a Gay marrage. It is by it's very defenition one MAN and one Woman.

No, that's only one definition of marriage - the Bible's.

That's OK, keep complaining and maybe someday we can try to get rid of that pesky interracial marriage thing, too.

sillymacgirl
Jun 27, 2003, 11:54 AM
If you move to Canada for however long it takes to establish residency and get married to your partner, is that marriage recognized if you move back to the United States or does it become null and void once you are a US citizen again? If it is recognized in the United States as a legal marriage, I know quite a few couples who would consider a 'temporary' move to Canada in order to marry their partner. If anyone knows the answer, please let me know! :)

Codemonkey
Jun 27, 2003, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by sillymacgirl
If you move to Canada for however long it takes to establish residency and get married to your partner, is that marriage recognized if you move back to the United States or does it become null and void once you are a US citizen again? If it is recognized in the United States as a legal marriage, I know quite a few couples who would consider a 'temporary' move to Canada in order to marry their partner. If anyone knows the answer, please let me know! :)

Nope, from what I've been hearing, the marriage is null and void once you cross the border. Which brings up some other issues: what about adopted children? Assets? Will everything have to go to the courts if said same-sex couple wants to move back to the States? (or, even a Canadian couple that moves to the states - same thing applies, their marriage doesn't mean ******)

vniow
Jun 30, 2003, 08:01 PM

Wrong.

That assumes that gay people can't have children which is completely wrong and uninformed, there's nothing stopping us from having kids at all, we do have the same equipment as straight people that allows us to have children last time I checked, but I would agree with you that gay couples cant have kids without additional help, whether it be a surrogate mother or aftificial insemination or good old fashioned screwing, but to say that gay people can't have kids is just wrong.

solvs
Jun 30, 2003, 08:45 PM
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by vniow
Wrong.

That assumes that gay people can't have children which is completely wrong and uninformed, there's nothing stopping us from having kids at all, we do have the same equipment as straight people that allows us to have children last time I checked, but I would agree with you that gay couples cant have kids without additional help, whether it be a surrogate mother or aftificial insemination or good old fashioned screwing, but to say that gay people can't have kids is just wrong.

Not to mention the fact that just because homosexuals can get married now (in some places), it doesn't mean heterosexuals can't. As if allowing people to be homosexual (as if they had a choice) suddenly means people can't be heterosexual. Besides the fact that there are too many people in this world anyway. We could use a few more couples (homo or heterosexual) who either don't have kids or adopt.

BTW, welcome back V.

(glad you like my lips) ;)