PDA

View Full Version : Which Xbox 360?

itsme92
Apr 16, 2007, 12:16 AM
If I am going to hook up my Xbox 360 with HD DVD drive up to a 1080p TV, which will look better: VGA or HDMI? The reason I am asking this is because I want to know whether to go for the Premium or the Elite, seeing as I don't like the black color of the Elite and don't think that I'll fill up the 20GB hard drive in the premium. Does VGA look just as good as HDMI? Because then I think I'm just going to go for the premium. Or are the rumors true, and will the Elite, once it sells a certain number, have its price cut and become white again?

ericsthename
Apr 16, 2007, 12:33 AM
If I am going to hook up my Xbox 360 with HD DVD drive up to a 1080p TV, which will look better: VGA or HDMI? The reason I am asking this is because I want to know whether to go for the Premium or the Elite, seeing as I don't like the black color of the Elite and don't think that I'll fill up the 20GB hard drive in the premium. Does VGA look just as good as HDMI? Because then I think I'm just going to go for the premium. Or are the rumors true, and will the Elite, once it sells a certain number, have its price cut and become white again?

Well, from what's been said, the Elite will eventually be integrated into the normal xbox 360 lineup. What's unsure is whether it will take on the premium's price or stay a bit higher.

That being said, if you have a 1080p tv, and you have the money I would probably get an hdmi equipped 360. On the other hand, if you arn't an absolute stickler about it, the 360 looks great in HD with VGA - to most people there would likely be little to no difference. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that adding hdmi to the box is more or less a marketing ploy rather than a necessity.

I have hooked my 360 up with the included component cables at 1080 and it is good enough for me.

the single biggest thing I would keep in mind when buying a 360 isn't HDMI or VGA or even harddrive size. You know what it would be?

Get one manufactured RECENTLY that has the quiet(er) drive in it. If I could get rid of even HALF the noise that comes from the DVD drive I'd be a happy camper.

zoetropeuk
Apr 16, 2007, 05:01 AM
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that adding hdmi to the box is more or less a marketing ploy rather than a necessity.

This is what alot of people believe but try and find a 1080p HDTV in the UK that can display 1080p from a source other than HDMI. All the major brands of HDTVs I looked at will only display a 1080p from HDMI although you can use component to display 1080i. Kind of defeats the purpose of buying a 1080p set though.

Matt

debroglie
Apr 16, 2007, 05:45 AM
Also, keep in mind that many people report the VGA output as looking "washed out." I know that I did have that problem when I was using the official VGA cable, so I switched back to component.

I would suggest springing for the elite.

whooleytoo
Apr 16, 2007, 05:50 AM
This is what alot of people believe but try and find a 1080p HDTV in the UK that can display 1080p from a source other than HDMI. All the major brands of HDTVs I looked at will only display a 1080p from HDMI although you can use component to display 1080i. Kind of defeats the purpose of buying a 1080p set though.

Matt

Fair enough, though there still aren't many sources of 1080p content in the UK.

mrgreen4242
Apr 16, 2007, 07:31 AM
Well, a couple things to consider...

1) Make sure the 360 supports 1080p over VGA (it didn't used to, but they did update it last year, so it might now).

2) There's a very good likelihood that the 360 isn't rendering 1080p (or even 1080i) for most/any games. It's probably rendering at 540p60 and scaling that to 1080i30 or 1080i60. For 1080p it's probably upscaling 720p. Point is that if your set has a good scaler/deinterlacer for 1080i to 1080p (which it very probably does) using 1080i over component is probably going to look just as good as HDMI.

EDIT: Oops, realized you were asking about HDDVD as well as games - which means the 360 is doing "real" 1080p. If you are serious about HDDVD movies you should probably consider the HDMI equipped connection, just in case they decide to turn on the token constraint flags.

jane doe
Apr 16, 2007, 08:00 AM
I have my Xbox doing 1080p thru component and it looks fine. I have not tried HDDVD yet but assume it will be OK.

One thing I did notice, When I had it set to 1080i and a played a DVD, the TV would IDENT the source as 480p, now no matter what I put in the Xbox it IDENTs the source as 1080p.

mrgreen4242
Apr 16, 2007, 08:30 AM
I have my Xbox doing 1080p thru component and it looks fine. I have not tried HDDVD yet but assume it will be OK.

One thing I did notice, When I had it set to 1080i and a played a DVD, the TV would IDENT the source as 480p, now no matter what I put in the Xbox it IDENTs the source as 1080p.

The Xbox doesn't upscale DVDs over component. Here's a good FAQ on the issue, http://forum.teamxbox.com/showthread.php?t=477767 . I does do it over VGA, though.

jane doe
Apr 16, 2007, 08:51 AM
The Xbox doesn't upscale DVDs over component. Here's a good FAQ on the issue, http://forum.teamxbox.com/showthread.php?t=477767 . I does do it over VGA, though.

I don't know how accurate this is, I'm not saying that its upscaling the DVDs but I am getting 1080p thru component. My TV will show me the resolution at the press of a button and when it changes. The Xbox is 1080p and when I place a DVD in the drive and play it, it does not (any longer) change down to 480p.

mrgreen4242
Apr 16, 2007, 08:58 AM
I don't know how accurate this is, I'm not saying that its upscaling the DVDs but I am getting 1080p thru component. My TV will show me the resolution at the press of a button and when it changes. The Xbox is 1080p and when I place a DVD in the drive and play it, it does not (any longer) change down to 480p.

Could be changed. There was a Dashboard update that changed what resolutions were available with VGA cables, so they may have changed it. That said, the issue at hand is the DVD Consortium's rules on upscaling. They typically don't allow it over component... most upscaling players HAVE to use HDMI. It's a stupid rule, seeing as you can rip DVDs with complete impunity and then software scale them to any resolution you want (and they MUST know that), and it doesn't effect anything, but that's the general rule.

MS may have a special deal with them though, so who knows.

Nicolasdec
Apr 16, 2007, 08:59 AM
I whould just go and buy a xbox dont wait for the elite you are almost paying the price of a ps3 and no WIFI and HD-DVD. dose your tv have HDMI, and do you need the 120GB? :) :) :) :) :) :)

wwooden
Apr 16, 2007, 09:47 AM
If I didn't have a 360 already, I would buy the Elite instead of the premium. For $80 you can future proof yourself more and pretty much never worry about disk space constraints. I'm not going to go out and sell my 360 and get the Elite now, I am very happy with my setup now and all my controllers/accessories are white.

zap2
Apr 16, 2007, 03:41 PM
HDMI>VGA

No questions asked

itsme92
Apr 16, 2007, 07:47 PM
Okay then, it seems like from what I'm hearing I'll go for the Elite. Not thrilled about it being black (I like white stuff, I guess), but I think the HDMI is worth it.

P.S. Does anybody have any idea when the 65nm chips will come out? Because I'm not planning to buy my Xbox until this summer, so I hope they have 65nm chips then.

JackAxe
Apr 16, 2007, 08:11 PM
HDMI is basically DVI + Audio. VGA can't compare nor can component when it comes to bandwidth.

<]=)

Dagless
Apr 16, 2007, 08:37 PM
Doesn't VGA upscale DVDs?

gkarris
Apr 16, 2007, 09:28 PM

The XB360 setting will always say 1080p as that's what it is outputting when set to that, but when you play a DVD, it will be 480p on the set over component.

Upscaling DVD is only over VGA or HDMI.

I just tried it and my XB360 switched to 480p when playing a DVD.

itsme92
Apr 17, 2007, 12:53 AM
Oh, also I've got another question. (well a few actually)

Will the Xbox 360 with HD DVD drive have better quality than my current circa-2001 Sony Progressive-scan DVD player hooked up over component for DVD's? Basically, should I hold on to my DVD player or will it be unneeded?

Also, I don't have a 1080p TV right now, I'm using a 32" square CRT HD-ready one I got 5+ years ago. Does anybody reccomend any TV's that are:

LCD
1080p
40"
less than 40" wide (to fit into my TV cabinet)

I've currently looked at and like the Samsung LN-S4096D. I think new Samsungs have come out, but I don't think they will fit in my TV cabinet because they are wider than 40 inches. Does anybody know of other TV's that I should be considering?

I'm also looking at getting a ~23" LCD HDTV for upstairs to replace a 17 year old 20 inch Sony. Does anybody reccomend any TV's for this purpose?

And, last but not least, are component cables a good investment for my PS2? (I will still play games on my PS2 that I don't want to re-buy for 360). Will they improve the quality much?

Thank you so much everybody for the advice. It really means a lot to me because it's hard to figure out which is which when Samsung has 6+ 1080p 40" TV's.