PDA

View Full Version : Would you want?

Sparky8
Apr 16, 2007, 02:11 PM
A games console which can hold multiple discs at once and so changing game would be much easier? Or do you see digital distribution as the future?

iBookG4user
Apr 16, 2007, 02:17 PM
I really don't mind having to switch discs with any of my consoles, as they are always in the same spot. But digital distribution would be cool once we all get nice connections, I don't think my 1.5mbps connection could cut it. It takes a while to even download an N64 for Virtual Console.

Jovian9
Apr 16, 2007, 02:38 PM
I want a console where I can load my games onto the hard drive and not have to exchange disks all the time. I love being able to play downloaded games off of the Wii's VC or the 360's Arcade.
I do not want a console that loads multiple disks if it makes the console bigger or less aesthetically pleasing.

Dagless
Apr 16, 2007, 02:45 PM
Digital distribution IF the price reflects the lack of box and printed manual. Charging the same price with the only benefit being the convenience of owning it straight away doesn't float my boat.

The only multidisc games I own are MGS: Twin Snakes and Resident Evil and I had no problem opening the drive and putting in the 2nd disc.

zap2
Apr 16, 2007, 03:00 PM
Digital distribution IF the price reflects the lack of box and printed manual. Charging the same price with the only benefit being the convenience of owning it straight away doesn't float my boat.

How much do those DVDs and boxes cost? Very little, it be worth it just because I'd never have to leve my house(to get games)

However that would cut out a large part of the market

psychofreak
Apr 16, 2007, 03:14 PM
Here in the UK, internet connections are much faster (officially I have 24mbps, but in speed tests i get around 18mbps, and with big enough HDs, this is entirely possible and would be a great advantage...

Dagless
Apr 16, 2007, 03:43 PM
They are?! I'll have to move to England some day ;) for miles we max out at 1.5mb.

I'm also rather fond of buying games in shops. Go off into town, go with a mate and have a laugh or whatever. I bought Half Life 2 off Steam because, hey, I needed it that minute. Though that minute soon turned into a 12 hour download.
Plus it's much better to give a proper boxed game as a gift rather than a downloaded one.

Unless we're all robots, mindlessly combing through games turning it more into an efficiently lifeless and demeaning download system. Living with our friends on Messenger and our hearts in the fridge.

whooleytoo
Apr 16, 2007, 04:23 PM
A games console which can hold multiple discs at once and so changing game would be much easier? Or do you see digital distribution as the future?

Personally I'd have no interest in a disk changer, but I'd dearly love to have all of my games (just like my videos & music) stored on a media server somewhere in the apartment, served over Gigabit Ethernet & 802.11n. The most frequently played games would be cached on the console for best performance. Boot up any console (or Mac/PC/mobile) on the network and it would query the server for compatible games, list them - and potentially start pre-caching to cut down on load times.

Of course, there's not a snowball's chance in hell of this happening - console makers have no incentive for interoperability and prefer a closed, incompatible market where they can charge a premium for every under-specced upgrade and accessory.

I'm not sure about the digital distribution yet - I've bought a few games through Steam and while the "instant gratification" is great in theory, the constant upgrades and downloads suck the joy out of the idea.

Agilus
Apr 16, 2007, 05:37 PM
Interesting question. If I could get some sort of disk changing / multidisk system for cheap, I'd really like it. Almost nothing about using my Wii requires me to get up from the couch. It's just changing the game that does it.

However, I'd take digital distribution over it, as long as I could back up my stuff, or someone else did it for me automatically. :)

sthpark7791
Apr 16, 2007, 06:02 PM
I don't want digital distribution. There's just something about being able to have a stack of game boxes. :)

sikkinixx
Apr 16, 2007, 07:00 PM
<sarcasm>
Well when 360 games start taking up tons of DVD's while PS3 games still live on 1 Blu-Ray with every region plus Full Tru HD 1080p video you will need that multidisc changer so you don't need to get off the couch after every level to change teh DVD ROFL! PS3 ftw!!!!
</sarcasm>

But in all seriousness, how lazy do you need to be to need more than one disc at a time? honestly....We can turn on the systems with the controllers now, tv's have remotes...I mean...if we had a toilet in the couch and a fridge underneath it we would never need to burn precious calories actually getting up to put another disc in.

7on
Apr 16, 2007, 07:08 PM
<sarcasm>
Well when 360 games start taking up tons of DVD's while PS3 games still live on 1 Blu-Ray with every region plus Full Tru HD 1080p video you will need that multidisc changer so you don't need to get off the couch after every level to change teh DVD ROFL! PS3 ftw!!!!
</sarcasm>

But in all seriousness, how lazy do you need to be to need more than one disc at a time? honestly....We can turn on the systems with the controllers now, tv's have remotes...I mean...if we had a toilet in the couch and a fridge underneath it we would never need to burn precious calories actually getting up to put another disc in.

wait I solved it, long av cables so that your console sits next to the couch :-P

Jovian9
Apr 16, 2007, 07:11 PM
<sarcasm>

For me it's not about laziness or not wanting to change discs; I want the fast loading times and the elimation of scratched/damaged discs by not having to use them......let me register and load the game on my own machine. If I want to play it on another console I'm fine with using the disc, but I'd like to NOT use it on my own machine.
.........plus I ride an exercise bike while I play video games...makes me feel better about the time I spend in front of the television :)

sikkinixx
Apr 16, 2007, 07:18 PM
wait I solved it, long av cables so that your console sits next to the couch :-P

better yet, just move the couch 6" from the TV!

Dagless
Apr 16, 2007, 08:26 PM

Absa-friggin-lutely. I started to fall into that when I got Metal Slug on the Wii. Along with that, Link to the Past, Mario Kart 64 and 4 CC, R-Type 3 and Sonic I didn't have to even approach the Wii. I don't want to be this lazy :(

pcypert
Apr 16, 2007, 10:58 PM
Digital Distribution here...if you ever have friends come over with little kids you'll understand why having it on a hard drive and not on disc is king...thankfully I backup my games knowing this....I left the room and my friend's kids were just rubbing my Oblivion, GeOW, etc data side down on the floor....that would have been hundreds of dollars of disks had I not been using backups.... DD would make even those unnecessary.

Paul