Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sjl

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 15, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
I'm looking very seriously at picking up the Canon EF-S 10-22mm in early May, to take advantage of the GST refund I can get when I go overseas in June. (Ultra-wide goodness for less than $AU870 ... drool.) Which leads me to wonder: what should I do vis-a-vis filters? I have a 77mm Hoya Pro 1 circular polariser, and I'll probably get a UV filter for it too, but I'm worried about vignetting, especially at the wide end.

Anybody have practical experience with glass at this extreme wide-angle end (16mm equivalent field of view) and using filters with it? I'm guessing that the Cokin set (P series) is right out, considering that it was starting to get a little marginal at 17mm when it was rotated off the straight horizontal or vertical ...

§HAMU§

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2006
raleigh, nc
i picked up a hoya ultra uv(0) multi-coated filter. super thin 3mm ring. works well. the only dislike i have about it is the rubber lens cap that slips over it. sometimes it falls off.

i've heard that polarizer filters shouldn't be used on anything wider than 20mm b/c you'll get dark spots/uneven polarization in the sky.

if you're worried about vignetting, make sure to get a slim filter.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.