PDA

View Full Version : Newcomer to 360... Core or Pro?

BurtonCCC
Apr 16, 2007, 11:49 PM
I'm a Wii and DS guy who is sick of waiting for games, so I'm going to invest in a 360 as well. This may be strange to some of you, but I'm only going to rent games through GameFly, not purchase any. I'm just wondering which configuration you all think would suit me better and which I'd be happier with.

Hard Drive - I like the cheaper price of the Core, but would I need a memory card? The games I see myself renting first would be Gears of War, Lost Planet, Dead or Alive 4, and an NBA game. Is there any advantage to having the hard drive for these games? I'll also subscribe to XBox Live, would I want a hard drive for that?
Controllers - I'm in love with wireless controllers ever since I got my Wii, so that'd be a downside of the Core to me. Do the batteries last a long time? Maybe I could just get the Core, sell the wired controller and buy a pair of wireless ones?
HD - I don't have an HD capable TV, but I might get a 24" Dell LCD soon, which supports it, if that would affect my choice?

I'm just looking for advice because I really have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to the 360. I feel stupid because I realize I'm a Nintendo fanboy because I only know about their stuff. :o

Daniel.

nickster9224
Apr 17, 2007, 12:32 AM
i would go with the pro b/c of the greater memory, and more space for the downloadable content on XBL, and plus the HD is 20 vs $50USD for the 64mb memory card.

unsanity
Apr 17, 2007, 12:35 AM
Something to consider is the Elite coming out soon. It is just like the pro, only the console and accessories are all black and it comes with a 120 GB HDD.

If you plan on downloading videos, arcade games, and demos (I highly recommend doing so), you will fill up the 20GB HDD on the Pro fairly quickly. It's manageable, but also a bit annoying. And forget about downloading demos onto memory cards, that's just not possible. Also, if you plan on playing any original Xbox games (check www.xbox.com to see if compatible first) those will require a hard drive. The Hard Drive isn't necessarily required, however you will need some sort of memory device to have game saves, and the three options are: $100 20GB HDD (comes with Pro), $180 120GB HDD (comes with Elite), or $50 512MB memory card.

My recommendation would be to wait for the Elite system if you're willing to spend the extra cash, otherwise buy the Pro. The core is really not a good option, due to lack of HD cables, wireless controllers, and the fact that you would have to spend another $50 to save any games.

As for games: Gears of War, Lost Planet, Rainbow Six Vegas, Guitar Hero 2, Oblivion, Crackdown, and Saint's Row are all great games that I would recommend, as well as Geometry Wars and Worms in the arcade.