Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bcleland

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 10, 2003
Nashville, TN
I am having problems removing a user. When I go in as the administrator to remove the user, the delete the user hangs and spins indefinitely. Then when I force quite the program my available hard drive space goes from 18 gb to like 4gb. The even stranger thing is the user I am try to erase has no extra data on it and it is not erased but there a deleted user now appearing.
any help?

patrick0brien

macrumors 68040
Oct 24, 2002
The West Loop
-bcleland

Hmm.

Repair Permissions first.

Then I'd say (reluctantly) remove the user while in the root account. You need to get to the root account anyway because when you delet the user account from the "accounts" list, all of the Deleted User's files will be moved to a "Deleted Users" folder in the "Users" folder, and the only way to delete those files is from root anyway.

Daveman Deluxe

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2003
Corvallis, Oregon
I have a similar problem with my iBook. The user has no Home folder, but shows up in the System Preferences pane for users. I click the Delete button and it gives me a status bar. When it's done, there's a disk image for the deleted user's files (even though it had no Home directory) but the user stays in the list. It doesn't matter if I try to repair permissions.

I chalk this one up to weirdness.

Edit: I've also tried it logged in as root to no avail.

Huked on Fonick

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2002
1 Loop
yea i have a user i cant delete, ur extra disk space is probably comming because its deleting the use and creating a disk image of that user, go to ur deleted users folder and delete all the deleted disk images for that usser........

also boot with ur cd and do a repair disk permission, this should be,,,, not disk repair...

how to: boot to cd, one of the drop down menus above says disk utitlity go to that and then go to first aid and run repair disk permissions it will take awile....

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
booting from a cd *should* let you delete it... or booting from 9...

the system will not recognize the directory as anything special, just files and folders as normal. I won't promise the system won't be confused by it, the user may still show up in system preferences...

pnw

aristademis

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2002
Here's how to fix it.

Go into OS 9, go to the users folder, put user into trash. This is hot to fix almost everything in OS X w/o going to UNIX root user crap

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
Re: Here's how to fix it.

Originally posted by aristademis
Go into OS 9, go to the users folder, put user into trash. This is hot to fix almost everything in OS X w/o going to UNIX root user crap

to some this goes without saying, but empty the trash afterwords-- otherwise that data will stay on your HD and take up space until the next time you empty the trash in 9 (classic itself shares a trash with x)...

:)
pnw

Daveman Deluxe

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2003
Corvallis, Oregon
The problem (at least mine) isn't that I can't delete the user's directory, just that I can't get the user to stop showing up in the Accounts pane of system preferences.

I've had bigger problems, but it is annoying.

yzedf

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2002
Connecticut
Re: Here's how to fix it.

Originally posted by aristademis
It does not need to be said... but I will anyway: If Apple's implementation was proper, this would not be a issue. If you don't like, or appreciate, the "UNIX root user crap" then I suggest OS 9 for you :p

kungfu

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2002
I'm apple certified and it's actually much easier to delete a disk image of a deleted user...

Just "get info" on the disk image file, go to the permissions tab, and change the owner to "Me". Apple doesn't like you to log in as "root".

then delete it.

wilnin

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2003
At the moment ATHENS, GREECE
Hi guys, i've made a quick search and it seems that this IS where i should find the solution. But so far nobody answered my (and Daveman Deluxe's) problem!!!

Of course i do know how to delete a user in os X. You go to "System Preferences / Accounts" and with administrative right you press the "Delete User" button.
This i've done.
Then if you really want to wipe it from your hard disk, you login as "root" and erase the "Deleted user folder (which has just been created)" and the previous "home user folder.
So far that's it right? Or am i doing something wrong?

Because my problem is, even after having done all of the above, you can still see this "erased user" in the "System Preferences / Accounts" and it still is here on the login window as a choice!!!

I do not understand how???

Anybody out there with the same problem & the solution???

Thanks for the helps or ideas,

Wilfrid
PS: And of course i do not want to go as far as reinstalling the whole system ;-)

Arielle

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2003
Columbia University
Similar prob: Removing "wordregister" in Root folder

I don't know if the answers to removing a user would also apply to this, but HOW THE HECK DO I REMOVE THE "WORDREGISTER" file from the folder hierarchy in my snapshot (attached)?
Those Microsoft B*stards automatically put Microsoft Office v. OS X on my titanium G4 laptop, and, although I erased the entire folder, its automatic registry for the trial app (which is located in the root folder and cannot be removed), infected my OLD & REGISTERED copy of Office version 98. Now whenever I try to print a word file, the block letters TEST VERSION show across my documents! This is maddening! How do I get rid of this damn file??

<br><br>
:mad: :mad: :mad: >=--Arielle---> :mad: :mad: :mad:

Attachments

• wordregister directory.jpg
    wordregister directory.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 119
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.