PDA

View Full Version : False G5 Hopes

chicagdan
Jun 18, 2003, 11:59 AM
In the past 9 months I've bought a 17" iMac and a 12" PB, so I can't possibly justify buying a G5 PowerMac very soon ... but about a half hour ago ...

I came back home after working for an hour on my PB in an outdoor cafe (life is so hard) and saw three police cars outside my condo. I asked what's up ... he said the unit on the second floor had been broken into.

First thought in my head -- homeowners' insurance! G5 on Monday!

Unfortunately, the cops had it wrong ... we don't have an alarm, third floor unit does, and nothing was stolen from our place, not even the iMac.

Oh well, I can always pray for an earthquake or tidal wave ... pretty rare in Chicago, but you never know.

jxyama
Jun 18, 2003, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by chicagdan
In the past 9 months I've bought a 17" iMac and a 12" PB, so I can't possibly justify buying a G5 PowerMac very soon ... but about a half hour ago ...

I came back home after working for an hour on my PB in an outdoor cafe (life is so hard) and saw three police cars outside my condo. I asked what's up ... he said the unit on the second floor had been broken into.

First thought in my head -- homeowners' insurance! G5 on Monday!

Unfortunately, the cops had it wrong ... we don't have an alarm, third floor unit does, and nothing was stolen from our place, not even the iMac.

Oh well, I can always pray for an earthquake or tidal wave ... pretty rare in Chicago, but you never know.

i hope you were joking.

don't be such a tech glutton. you've got great computers. to wish for them to be stolen/broken so you have an excuse to buy a newer one is rather repulsive. if you can't satisfy yourself, then sell your machines. don't wish for them to be broken or stolen!

Mr. Anderson
Jun 18, 2003, 12:11 PM

Well, there is always the meteorite.....

My TiPB just today started making some noise (the fan rubbing on something) and I thought the exact same thing - I'll need a new machine, yeah, that's it.....

So hopefully the new 15" next week.... :D

D

Sun Baked
Jun 18, 2003, 12:18 PM
Oh well, I can always pray for an earthquake or tidal wave ... pretty rare in Chicago, but you never know. Just pray for a single cow... in Chicago that's all it'll take.

chicagdan
Jun 18, 2003, 12:37 PM
don't be such a tech glutton. you've got great computers. to wish for them to be stolen/broken so you have an excuse to buy a newer one is rather repulsive. if you can't satisfy yourself, then sell your machines. don't wish for them to be broken or stolen!

Chill out dude, they're computers not sacred relics, they were designed to be replaced. I can see you now, crying over the sad theoretical demise of my iMac.

Some people on this board have zero sense of humor.

bbarnhart
Jun 18, 2003, 12:57 PM
If you'll closely read your home owners or renters insurance policy there are exemptions from tidal waves, meterorites, nuclear blasts, riots, armed forces occupation and the like. It's kind of a fun read.

Mr. Anderson
Jun 18, 2003, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by bbarnhart
If you'll closely read your home owners or renters insurance policy there are exemptions from tidal waves, meterorites, nuclear blasts, riots, armed forces occupation and the like. It's kind of a fun read.

These falling under the 'acts of god' catagory? ;)

Well, if you left your iMac out on the doorstep for a while and it disappeared......:eek:

It would be interesting to see how much insurance fraud goes on for computer hardware and what % or fraud share Apples have :D

D

jxyama
Jun 18, 2003, 01:12 PM
well, call me humorless... that's fine by me. if there's something inherently humorous about your original post, then i don't think i want that kind of sense of humor.

sacred relic or not, what happened to treating things with respect? i understood the point about your original post. it would be wonderful to always have brand new computers for "free." but i still find it rather offensive that you'd (basically) wish for your computers to be stolen/broken. they are less than a year old.

just like i should probably chill out, i think you should probably be a little more respectable of material things in general. i realize your thoughts were just that, thoughts, but they still say something about the values you possess.

[\rant]

btw, besides getting an attention of a tightarse like myself, what kind of responses were you expecting from a thread like this?

yzedf
Jun 18, 2003, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by Sun Baked
Just pray for a single cow... in Chicago that's all it'll take.
You joke... but that cow caused all the fire codes for Chicago to be _much_ stricter than anywhere else in the USA. As a result, one of the salesmen at my work makes some very nice money every month.

Back on topic... be happy with what you have, you could be much worse off.

MacsRgr8
Jun 18, 2003, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
These falling under the 'acts of god' catagory? ;)

D

I wouldn't call a nuclear blast an "act of god" :D

chicagdan
Jun 18, 2003, 02:30 PM
btw, besides getting an attention of a tightarse like myself, what kind of responses were you expecting from a thread like this?

Okay, now you're pissing me off. Don't tell me you've never driven past another car and wished for a moment you didn't have your perfectly good one ... or thought about moving into a bigger house you clearly didn't need. These are normal HUMAN feelings. My story reflects the rather comical technolust that is coming from all of the wild rumors on this and other sites.

Will I go out and buy a new G5 next week -- no, of course not, I dont' need one and I like my computers just fine. I just thought it might add a little humor and humanity to this board to share my reaction to this morning's events. I'm quite content with what I have ... lust actually has nothing to do with satisfaction.

MacsRgr8
Jun 18, 2003, 02:38 PM
Chicagdan is right. These boards are all about having fun! We need humor to speed up time till WWDC. :)

But to make it easier to understand that you're not serious, just insert a smiley....

chicagdan
Jun 18, 2003, 02:45 PM
But to make it easier to understand that you're not serious, just insert a smiley....

I don't like emoticons because I don't believe that we live in a binary humorous/serious world. I mean, yeah, I thought it was a funny incident (insofar I was making fun of myself for thinking something so ridiculous) but it did happen, I didn't make it up.

There was an episode of Seinfeld where George's fiancee dies from licking toxic envelopes ... it was cruel, but it was also pretty funny and the writers didn't back away from the dark humor by bringing Susan back to life. Should Larry David and Jerry Seinfeld apologize for having such a dark sense of humor? What a boring world it would be if we all pretended to have 100% pure minds at all times. Even Jimmy Carter lusted in his heart. We're judged by our deeds, not our thoughts.

jxyama
Jun 18, 2003, 02:47 PM
Don't tell me you've never driven past another car and wished for a moment you didn't have your perfectly good one ... or thought about moving into a bigger house you clearly didn't need.

These are normal human reactions.

But what you posted would be an equivalent to wishing someone would hit your perfectly good car or light your house on fire so you could get insurance money for it and buy a new one. Those are the emotions I don't agree with.

I understand now that you meant this to be a light hearted joke. That's fine. I didn't see it that way but now I understand - I am, however, entitled to my opinion at the same time. So I hope you accept my apologies if I made you mad and/or offended you and bring this thread to some form of a conclusion.

MacsRgr8
Jun 18, 2003, 02:54 PM

There was an episode of Seinfeld where George's fiancee dies from licking toxic envelopes ... it was cruel, but it was also pretty funny and the writers didn't back away from the dark humor by bringing Susan back to life. Should Larry David and Jerry Seinfeld apologize for having such a dark sense of humor? What a boring world it would be if we all pretended to have 100% pure minds at all times. Even Jimmy Carter lusted in his heart. We're judged by our deeds, not our thoughts.

Seinfeld is gr8! And I totally agree with you. Inserting the emoticon just makes sure no-one misunderstands you, lessening the discussion.
I laughed at your story, recognizing myself there. It is also a way of "looking at the brighter side of burglary".

Abstract
Jun 18, 2003, 03:16 PM
sacred relic or not, what happened to treating things with respect? i understood the point about your original post. it would be wonderful to always have brand new computers for "free." but i still find it rather offensive that you'd (basically) wish for your computers to be stolen/broken. they are less than a year old.

Boo hoo. Chillax, it was a joke.. And you're right, Chicagdan, there are too many people here with no sense of humour. I've said so in a few of my posts when someone replies to a humourous post with a serious doubt or concern. Obvious sarcasm taken seriously --- has this world gone mad?

just like i should probably chill out, i think you should probably be a little more respectable of material things in general. i realize your thoughts were just that, thoughts, but they still say something about the values you possess.

Why be more respectful? They're inanimate objects. :p

/me slaps jxyama around a bit with a large trout.

jxyama
Jun 18, 2003, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by Abstract
Boo hoo. Chillax, it was a joke.. And you're right, Chicagdan, there are too many people here with no sense of humour. I've said so in a few of my posts when someone replies to a humourous post with a serious doubt or concern. Obvious sarcasm taken seriously --- has this world gone mad?

Ok, look, this is a bit much. Just because some people might be a bit more straight laced than others does not mean they deserve to be ridiculed and be branded as if they are the indication of world going mad. I realize your post is not to be taken literary either, but I hope you see my point.

By the way, if there are too many people without sense of humor, it could be equally argued that the said sense of humor is off-center instead. :D

To Chicagdan: Sorry I offended you. My apologies. And apologies to others if you are offended by my lack of sense of humor. Point taken. No need to berate those without a sense of humor, though.

chicagdan
Jun 18, 2003, 03:32 PM
But what you posted would be an equivalent to wishing someone would hit your perfectly good car or light your house on fire so you could get insurance money for it and buy a new one. Those are the emotions I don't agree with.

I don't want to beat a dead horse and please, no apologies needed ... but you missed the point with that last comment.

There's nothing wrong with THINKING "ya know, I wouldn't mind if my car somehow got stolen" or "hey, what if our house burns down..." The centerpiece of all moral/ethical behavior is not clean thoughts, it's how you process those thoughts and impulses.

It's not immoral to think "you know, it would be real easy to skip out on this bill." But it would be immoral if you actually did it. Personally, I think it's kind of funny for normal, moral people to admit they have some crazy ideas sometimes. That's why we were given these wacky big brains.

jxyama
Jun 18, 2003, 03:41 PM
Chicagdan-

Well, I understand. I'm not completely w/o a sense of humor.

I guess I'm probably more prone to getting stuck in a more idealized view than others. But I hope that doesn't mean I'm hopelessly humorless.

I need to get off work and relax... :cool:

[edit] btw, i'd like to apologize just for the sake of cordiality. this is a public forum and we do, i think, share a common interest in mac stuff. i am not the type to pick a fight or going around offending people... at least i'd like to think so. so an apology is, IMO, in order. [\edit]

Kwyjibo
Jun 18, 2003, 03:48 PM
like everyone else I will stela your imac if you want me too, as long as i have your permission or your laptop, you can set it down and i'll run with it.

chicagdan
Jun 18, 2003, 04:03 PM
like everyone else I will steal your imac if you want me too, as long as i have your permission or your laptop, you can set it down and i'll run with it.

All attempts at humor aside, I must confess, I'd be heartbroken if I lost my iMac. When the time finally comes to buy a G5 (probably a good 18 months away), I might just stick it in the closet and use it as a file server. My iMac will become the world's most expensive and powerful dumb terminal.

MacsRgr8
Jun 18, 2003, 05:25 PM
My iMac will become the world's most expensive and powerful dumb terminal.

... and most beautifull.

Good thing u started this thread.