Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ducksrfr

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 3, 2006
Austin, TX
I have an eyelash-sized dark streak on the center, bottom (dock area) of my Powerbook G4 15". At first, I thought it was dirt, or another external blemish, but if I move the cursor over it, it obstructs the view of the blemish (instead of appearing beneath it.) Also, I have a small, almost white, faded dot which appears to grow and expand larger if the Powerbook is running for longer than 4-6 hours. What is frustrating is that neither show up under screen captures. Is my monitor full of external stains and blemishes which I cannot remove, or is there something actually wrong with my display?

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
But it hides if the mouse is over it!? Are you sure that this isn't just because the mouse is black, you can't see it?

If not, that's really weird. Do you have Apple Care? I'd get it checked by Apple.

Try resetting the PRAM in the meantime...

mahonmeister

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2006
Redlands, CA
I had a similar, but much worse problem. The bottom 2/3 of my PowerBook's screen would go black or white at random times and if I moved the screen back or forward it would exacerbate the problem. Didn't show up in screen caps either. I called AppleCare, they sent me a shipping box, I mailed it in on Monday (2 days ago) they fixed it yesterday, and I got if back 10mins ago! Best. Service. Ever. I really thought it would take at least a week. All of it was covered by AppleCare. They even fixed my loose hinge (which caused the screen to wiggle); probably because it was a contributing factor with the screen issue. I may not like everything about Apple, but their customer service and repair are amazing!

Just thought I'd share that.:)

ducksrfr

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 3, 2006
Austin, TX
i tried taking pics with my camera phone, but (surprise, surprise) they did not turn out well at all. i'll post pics later today

ducksrfr

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 3, 2006
Austin, TX
applecare

couldn't get a camera, BUT i took it into my local Austin Apple store, and 3-4 geniuses concluded that I need a new LCD screen.

yay applecare!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.