PDA

View Full Version : 17" Albook performance question

Aciddan
Jun 18, 2003, 07:02 PM
I'm in the process of convincing my wife that I really should get a new lappy (currently have 14" iBook - 1st generation with the Rage card).

I've got her back to an August purchase of either a 15 or 17 powerbook (hopefully, I can get this back to mid july) so this means that after wwdc I'll be ramping up my purchasing enquiries...

what I need/want to know is how virtual PC performs on the 1 Ghz powerbooks. At work I develop windows apps and I was wondering what the equivalent PC the virtual PC matches up against.

I know how fast my iBook performs and A guy at work has a dual 1 gig that he says runs like a 600Mhz PC when working with windows, but any personal experiences would be greatly appreciated.

-- Dan, trapped between the mac and PC world... =)

Rower_CPU
Jun 18, 2003, 07:24 PM
Funny you should ask...I started a thread on VPC6 performance a while ago, testing it out on my 15" 1GHz.

Take a peek (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?threadid=28263)

Aciddan
Jun 18, 2003, 08:04 PM
Good to see the results...

I was using win98, 2k, NT and XP on the iBook on different occasions. it said my PC was roughly a low end PII.

for things like office, ie etc. was bearable on the iBook, but it's good to know that if I go to a 1Ghz+ (assuming bigger nastier stuff comes at WWDC) that VPC may be entirely useable with the dev apps I run (I could tun them on the iBook, but they were well under the 'bearable' level).

I'm surprised in your thread that a guy actually got half-life running - I thought D3d/openGL dies in VPC...

I wonder if connectix/Ms can tweak VPC enough to directly pass-through Opengl calls rather than emulate the S3 trio (does VPC6 emulate a different video card if you have more vid ram than 8 meg)?

-- Daniel =)