PDA

View Full Version : Eating ikizukuri! :)

princealfie
Apr 19, 2007, 12:54 PM
Could you munch on a creature alive? I could envision shrimp or squid perhaps? Fresher than sushi I suspect...

Better than calamari :)

wongulous
Apr 19, 2007, 01:30 PM
I think eating a prepared live animal with the heart still beating is just a little bit too disgusting and sad for me to deal with. I can't deny the fact that the animal is not humanely killed (the brain and central nervous system detached or made not to function) before being prepared and consumed, not to mention the potential waste going on by not being prepared by, say, a factory or butcher who can make use of more of the animals' parts, so that it died for even a shred more than just my own enjoyment and minor hunger fulfillment.

It's thoughts of things like this that make me want to turn vegetarian or vegan. :(

bartelby
Apr 19, 2007, 01:32 PM
Oysters!!
Yum!

princealfie
Apr 19, 2007, 01:51 PM
Oysters!!
Yum!

Yeah I'm not sure yet whether oysters could be prepared as such but who knows? I will have to consult the conssieur [sic] dictionary :D

bartelby
Apr 19, 2007, 01:54 PM
Yeah I'm not sure yet whether oysters could be prepared as such but who knows? I will have to consult the conssieur [sic] dictionary :D

Sorry, you're correct.
Now I've read Wiki:o

There's no way I'd eat it, and I will eat pretty much anything. Japanese food is one of my favourites too. But I have ethics (believe it or not).

wongulous
Apr 19, 2007, 01:58 PM
There's no way I'd eat it [...] I have ethics

This gave me warm fuzzies! Thank you for that. :)

princealfie
Apr 19, 2007, 02:02 PM
http://www.japan-guide.com/forum/quereadisplay.html?0+12855 is about as far as I got.

Whew, found a good place that serves the fake stuff:

"Maeda

Select and click 'Go'.

Within mile(s)

Search for restaurants:

Or, by ZIP:
Select a type of cuisine:

Find our critic's rating:

Or, by restaurant name:

11622 Ventura Blvd., Studio City
818-623-7888

Hours: Tuesday-Friday, 11:30 a.m.-2 p.m.; Tuesday-Sunday, 5:30-10 p.m.

Readers' rating:
Reader reviews: Write a review

Maeda is a chic, spare place fronted by a striking row of horsetail ferns, those living fossils from the Carboniferous Period. Otherwise, it looks like most of the dozen other Japanese restaurants located within a mile on Ventura Boulevard: Japanese prints, clean architectural lines, lots of blond wood. You can sit in a back room, by the front window or at the 12-seat sushi bar.
It's an unusually good restaurant. Soon after you sit down, you get a specials blackboard advertising various fresh fish and an entire array of cold premium sakes, the bracing Kikusui being one.
The best dish here (and one of the priciest) is halibut ikizukuri, though there's a certain amount of deception to it. "Ikizukuri" refers to fish that was alive just before serving.
This isn't actually the case here, but the wafer-thin slices of fish are meltingly fresh.

Monkfish liver (ankimo) is served sushi-fashion, wrapped in nori seaweed--quite unusual.
"Spicy" tuna is very fresh but scarcely spicy. This restaurant does an especially good job on yaki nasu, eggplant roasted with sea salt, shaved bonito flakes and shredded nori.
Chef Maeda makes a mean salmon-skin salad, a huge pile of greens mixed with a delicate sesame oil dressing and loaded with crisp bits of salmon skin--long strips with firm pieces of pink flesh clinging to them.
One of his best cooked dishes is gindara misoyaki--chunks of flaky black cod marinated in miso paste and then broiled at high heat until blackened. One of the least interesting is chicken teriyaki, in a cloying soy sauce.
Watching Maeda-san at work, you admire his skill, but the service can be a bit slow here. One evening, we waited more than 45 minutes for two simple sushis: freshwater eel and sea urchin (admittedly, both were quite good).
On another occasion, the back kitchen took quite a while making the shrimp tempura for a tempura hand roll.
Still and all, this is one of the best sushi bars on the Boulevard, definitely worth noticing even for those who aren't up on their ancient plants.
--Max Jacobson, Special to The Times

BE THERE
Maeda
# Street parking
# Beer and wine
# American Express, MasterCard and Visa
# Suggested dishes: yaki nasu, $4.95; monkfish liver sushi, $4.95; salmon-skin salad, $7.95; halibut ikizukuri, $11.95"

Anyone knows a real place that serves it raw and rugged? :)

princealfie
Apr 19, 2007, 02:07 PM
many specialized restaurants

Japan

most exotic :

prepared Fugu - toxic blowfish

Ikizukuri - fish served alive

Found at link: http://restoran.us/trivia/unusual.htm

Kami Fuzen Iizakaya
Sashimi with a vengeance!
Dining : Local Traditional Cuisine

Nakasu 4-4-10
Hakata-ku
Fukuoka City

+81 (0)92 283 2200

This spacious pub-style restaurant serves outstanding Japanese food in a very pleasant setting. Here you will find 16-dish set-menus along with local seasonal goodies such as fugu. Sashimi (fugu sets are available from October to April for JPY3,480. For diners who prefer to make friends with their meal before it hits the plate, there is a huge aquarium from which quests are invited to choose likely candidates for the fillet knife. Be warned: if you do not like ikizukuri (ultra-fresh, not-quite-dead) sashimi, then Kami Fuzen may not be to your tastes.

average cost: JPY 4000
booking is advisable.
disabled access.
5p-midnight daily.

shecky
Apr 19, 2007, 02:13 PM
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm oysters. on the half shell is the only way to go.

and yogurt with live cultures. deeelishus!