PDA

View Full Version : Soon to be reunited with my iBook

daftdino
Apr 19, 2007, 04:06 PM
My iBook has spent the last year or so in a box while I have been out of the country and I was wondering if there is anything special that I need to do to avoid hardware problems the first time I power it up. Or can I just plug in the power lead and boot it up?

I can't logically think of anything that should go wrong but I just have this nagging feeling that I once read that if a laptop hasn't been used for a long period of time then there in a precaution that must be taken.

I suspect that I am being paranoid but I'd rather be sure than screw it up.

I've been using Internet Explorer on PCs in internet cafes for a long time now so I am quite looking forward to getting my laptop and Safari back. I can't even remember what's on the desktop now...

mick4394
Apr 19, 2007, 06:06 PM
Plug that bad boy in and go to town. You've got nothing to worry about.

Eidorian
Apr 19, 2007, 06:08 PM
Your battery might have lost some of its useful life since it was stored for so long. I suggest plugging it into AC power and then making an assessment of what the battery is still capable of.

~desu

zioxide
Apr 19, 2007, 06:41 PM
Yeah you might end up having to order a new battery.

Aside from that, everything should work fine. You'll probably want to update all of your software to the latest versions. So run the combo updater to 10.4.9 and then run software update for all of your apps. Then just repair permissions and you should be good to go :)

daftdino
Apr 20, 2007, 09:35 AM
Great! Thanks for the reassurance.

iBecks
Apr 20, 2007, 09:38 AM
I would follow Apple's guide for battery calibration.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86284