PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for 120GB of External Storage...

mangoman
Jun 18, 2003, 08:20 PM
...I'm leaning towards the LaCie units. I've had reliable success with that name in the past, and the 7200 speed is nice. I've heard that they're not making the actual drive in their 120GB Firewire units though. Anyone have other good recommendations for 120GB of EXTERNAL storage?

Thanks!

solvs
Jun 18, 2003, 11:17 PM
Try OWC (http://eshop.macsales.com/) or just buy a FW case and a regular IDE drive from some place like Newegg (http://www.newegg.com/). IBM/Hitachi, Seagate, and Western Digital 120 GB hard drives are 7200 RPM. Maxtors' was 5400, now they have a 7200 too. Go with the 8MB cache.

And stay away from Samsung. Good RAM, not so good hard drives.

rainman::|:|
Jun 19, 2003, 12:10 AM
i don't know what comparable pricing would be, but you could always set up a two-disk RAID for speed...

i'll admit i don't know how much speed would actually be gained... but it sounds like an interesting project :)

pnw

vniow
Jun 19, 2003, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by solvs
And stay away from Samsung. Good RAM, not so good hard drives.

Really?

I had a 20GB Samsung for awhile in my PC before I replaced it with an 80GB IBM Deathstar and I've had zero problems with either, not such good luck with Seagate, Hitachi or Western Digital though..

bidge
Jun 19, 2003, 04:39 AM
I've got both the LaCie 120GB and 80GB, both very good drives. I would recommend getting one. I personally find them highly reliable and fast. Often if you buy a crappy case and put an HD in it you get a bad Firewire card or something. We've got one with that sort of problem at school. Not worth the trouble, best to get a big name product with warranty etc. so that if anything does go wrong you can take it back.

My experience with the Lacie 120GB has been really good though.

Hope this is helpful

pseudobrit
Jun 19, 2003, 10:49 AM
I have a LaCie 80GB and it works like a charm. I bought mine online from Apple because at the time, they had the best price (!) with the education discount.

Heh -- don't be put off by the fact that they're French -- the unit is assembled in the US.

dialectro
Jun 19, 2003, 11:49 AM
I'm using the LaCie 160 GB d2 drive and its worked flawlessly for me for awhile now. I use it to back up my system drive, as a 2nd scratch disk for audio and run my carracho server from it and its been very fast and reliable. Looks great too...

Funkatation
Jun 19, 2003, 11:54 AM
i bought a 120gb hitachi/ibm drive from frys for 99 bucks, and then a firewire case with oxford 911 chipset for 42 bucks... and voila less than 150 for a 120gb firewire drive that hasn't given me any problems.

crazzyeddie
Jun 19, 2003, 12:14 PM
I just got the OWC Mercury Elite with Firewire/USB 2.0 and its very very fast. Whatever you do, don't waste your money on getting an 8MB buffer for a Firewire drive. It doesnt help the speed at all! This is a 2MB buffer IBM drive, and it gets 34-36MB/sec sustained!

I would recommend getting this because it a nice disk too, and is fanless. Its very good.

And Funkatation, where did you get an Oxford 911 for $42??