PDA

View Full Version : RAID Card for Quicksilver?

MacDann
Apr 19, 2007, 09:02 PM
I was just given a 733MHz Quicksilver that is nearly new. I am considering turning it into a backup server for the rest of my machines. I want to do at least a RAID 1, and possibly RAID 5.

Can anyone recommend a decent RAID card for this machine that won't cost more than it's worth?

I would expect to use regular ATA (IDE) drives, unless a SATA RAID controller is cheaper...

TIA,

MD

CanadaRAM
Apr 19, 2007, 09:07 PM
I was just given a 733MHz Quicksilver that is nearly new. I am considering turning it into a backup server for the rest of my machines. I want to do at least a RAID 1, and possibly RAID 5.

Can anyone recommend a decent RAID card for this machine that won't cost more than it's worth?

I would expect to use regular ATA (IDE) drives, unless a SATA RAID controller is cheaper...

TIA,

MD

Depends whether you want hardware RAID in the card ($$$$) or whether you want to run a software RAID, either APple or third party.

Sonnet (IDE + SATA) and Wiebetech and Firmtek (SATA) have cards that are generally pretty compatible with Macs.

MacDann
Apr 19, 2007, 09:51 PM
Depends whether you want hardware RAID in the card ($$$$) or whether you want to run a software RAID, either APple or third party.

Sonnet (IDE + SATA) and Wiebetech and Firmtek (SATA) have cards that are generally pretty compatible with Macs.

Dang it, I guess I should have been more specific - sorry.:(

Hardware RAID, by all means. I work with other hardware and OS' in my job, and years of experience have taught me to never trust a RAID array to software.

From what I have seen so far, it looks like RAID 5 is out, which is not a big deal. The selection I have seen so far appear to be RAID 0 (yikes!) or RAID 1.

I don't need speed, I need redundancy, so RAID 1 will be the way to go.

Thanks,

MD

dex22
Apr 20, 2007, 11:10 AM
I have the Acard 6880M in an old Quicksilver, with two 500s as RAID 1 and two 300s striped. I use the 500s as a secure store and the 300s as a super-fast scratch disk.

Installation was easy, except for finding a good place to mount the two drives that didn't have a bay. Performance and reliability have been excellent.

I'd happy recomment the Acard - these days they're pretty cheap if you can find them.

SmurfBoxMasta
Apr 21, 2007, 02:16 PM
Acard 4 sure! But SIIG & Firmtek also make good cards too !