PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft offers OS X Dashboard widget

MacBytes
Apr 20, 2007, 11:35 AM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Microsoft
Link: Microsoft offers OS X Dashboard widget (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20070420123547)
Description:: none

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

Doctor Q
Apr 20, 2007, 12:22 PM
Some readers have reported some bugs in the product...Well that didn't take long!

DMann
Apr 20, 2007, 12:59 PM
Well that didn't take long!

True, only 2 years, compared to Google, which had widgets available when Tiger was released. :p

Eidorian
Apr 20, 2007, 01:00 PM
Tis in French? :rolleyes:

Eraserhead
Apr 20, 2007, 01:01 PM
How could they have PPC only preference bugs, didn't they do it in Dashcode/Xcode? :rolleyes:.

Sherman Homan
Apr 20, 2007, 01:09 PM
How do you say: "Why is Microsoft's Live Search widget in French?" in French?
:confused:

dejo
Apr 20, 2007, 01:15 PM
How do you say: "Why is Microsoft's Live Search widget in French?" in French?
:confused:
Quelle tragédie.

ortuno2k
Apr 20, 2007, 03:29 PM
Other than the average user, I don't know who uses Live Search.
I think most people use it by mistake when they type stuff on their IE7 search box.
Meh.

bartelby
Apr 20, 2007, 03:30 PM
Quelle tragédie.

POST OF THE DAY!!!

mkrishnan
Apr 20, 2007, 03:31 PM
It's kind of sad that Microsoft is touting its own product as "cool" in 2007.... :(

Eraserhead
Apr 20, 2007, 03:56 PM
It's kind of sad that Microsoft is touting its own product as "cool" in 2007.... :(

I thought that was the first rule of being cool, that if you say you are, you aren't.

elppa
Apr 20, 2007, 04:24 PM
I don't like bashing MS just for the sake of it, but this thing looks ugly, very ugly:

http://images.apple.com/downloads/dashboard/search/images/livesearchmini_20070417184624.jpg

nagromme
Apr 20, 2007, 04:52 PM
I don't like bashing MS just for the sake of it, but this thing looks ugly, very ugly:

I disagree. I think Microsoft has done a very good job of giving it the OS X glassy/reflective look, right down to the exact shine on the oval button. It's not perfect--a little sloppy and cluttered--but it's definitely taking pains to share the look of Apple's OS X artistry. Kudos!

Analog Kid
Apr 20, 2007, 05:27 PM
I disagree. I think Microsoft has done a very good job of giving it the OS X glassy/reflective look, right down to the exact shine on the oval button. It's not perfect--a little sloppy and cluttered--but it's definitely taking pains to share the look of Apple's OS X artistry. Kudos!
I agree it's not ugly, but is that an OS X look or a Vista look? Hard to tell the difference sometimes...

Muncher
Apr 20, 2007, 05:31 PM
Microsoft can't get us to move to Vista, so now they're bringing as much of it as they can to OS X.

someguy
Apr 20, 2007, 05:42 PM
So is this a widget or a "gadget"?

winmacguy
Apr 20, 2007, 05:50 PM
I downloaded it and added it to my widgets last night. I haven't had any problems with it. It was pretty good at finding some pretty obscure New Zealand place names:D

elppa
Apr 20, 2007, 06:19 PM
it's definitely taking pains to share the look of Apple's OS X artistry. Kudos!

Kudos!

It completely disregards some of the widget design guidelines.

The more I look at it the worse it gets.

I have done a quick evaluation.

hircus
Apr 20, 2007, 06:46 PM

No, no, they're saying Apple's Dashboard is cool. Which we already know -- they copied it in Vista, after all :P. The widget itself is underwhelming, compared to its Vista counterparts (http://windowsvistablog.com/blogs/windowsvista/archive/2007/03/09/check-out-these-live-search-gadgets.aspx)

cwt1nospam
Apr 20, 2007, 06:48 PM
I don't care so much that it looks clunky. What bothers me is that it's another attempt to leverage their OS monopoly with no consideration for Mac users. They think they can make look sort of like an OS X widget and we'll just eat it up. It's insulting.

nagromme
Apr 20, 2007, 07:43 PM
I agree it's not ugly, but is that an OS X look or a Vista look? Hard to tell the difference sometimes...

Agreed. My (subtly snide) point exactly :)

slayr-cxf50
Apr 21, 2007, 02:58 AM
Why did they even bother??
Seems like the most useless widget ever.

Analog Kid
Apr 21, 2007, 03:33 AM
Agreed. My (subtly snide) point exactly :)
Doh! I hate it when I miss subtle and snide... :o

Why did they even bother??
Seems like the most useless widget ever.
Because maybe, just maybe, someone might use Live search...

noriyori
Apr 21, 2007, 06:11 AM

does anyone actually use live search?

I've tried it and it is really (in my experience) a sham of a search engine.

which may be due to me being on a mac. I've noticed certain things in live search don't work on macs, like maps and such. I don't think that should affect search results though...:rolleyes:

xUKHCx
Apr 21, 2007, 06:47 AM
Made by Microsoft?

Info.Plist reads

CFBundleIdentifier com.apple.widget.SimpleSearch

No way would microsoft let this one out, the word .plist file is called "com.microsoft.Word.plist"

Also there are spelling mistakes inside the widget for example "Ressources"

Also doesn't really look like their gadget.

To conclude someone else made the widget in my opinion. All i took was a little investigative work, and I'm not a journalist.

nagromme
Apr 21, 2007, 12:31 PM
Or maybe that's just what Dashcode always outputs? Not all widgets use Dashcode, but this one might.

And it does look like their work :o It looks like one of the many slightly-different Aqua rip-off styles in Vista.

Freyqq
Apr 21, 2007, 04:32 PM
visually, it looks fine

i think the problem is more..why use Live search when you could use Google?

steve_hill4
Apr 21, 2007, 08:29 PM
No, no, they're saying Apple's Dashboard is cool. Which we already know -- they copied it in Vista, after all :P. The widget itself is underwhelming, compared to its Vista counterparts (http://windowsvistablog.com/blogs/windowsvista/archive/2007/03/09/check-out-these-live-search-gadgets.aspx)

My immediate reaction is that I don't want a widget/gadget that takes over my screen. If I want a full screen search, I'll open up Safari and do it there. After all, if you want detailed search results, you might as well have the browser already open in order to continue.

It's like a comment I read at Vista's launch stating they preferred the Windows Sidebar to Dashboard because it was always there, no need for hitting F12, hot corners, pressing the ball of the Mighty Mouse down or selecting the Dashboard dock icon. If it's set to always be there, it's taking up screen space so you can't let windows go true full screen. If you allow full screen windows, but let Sidebar float on top, that surely blocks off close, minimise and scrolling options when in default right hand side mode. To me, I like that Dashboard is hidden away in the background and a simple click or press reveals it and hides it again. Often I quickly show and hide it using the mouse. If it's hidden underneath windows, I've got to hide all active windows to see it, potentially use flip 3d to go through several clicks to get there, or have to put up with it being there all the time.

Same with Front Row. When using your Mac to watch movies via remote, you want it full screen suppressing all pop-ups and running the OS in the background. With Media Center, (which I still think Apple could learn some things from), it's merely a full screen app window which keeps minimising itself when another app kicks in and generally letting things get in the way. This to me is what is the major difference between the two these days. OS X is still looking at ways to add features which benefit the end user and make life easier, Windows adds these same features, (and more or less in various areas), and continuously throws in "What if?"s that turn a good idea into one that isn't as workable for the consumer.

Oh, and I may like the look of this widget to an extent, but Windows Live search blows and again it looks like something that you start typing a query into and it will take over the entire Dashboard screen, blocking access to all other widgets until you close the search.

dsnort
Apr 21, 2007, 10:09 PM
Doh! I hate it when I miss subtle and snide... :o

Happens to me all the time, you get used to it.

does anyone actually use live search?

From what I've read, all 27 people using live search might find use for this widget. ( The rest will just go to Google )

steve_hill4
Apr 22, 2007, 06:11 AM
From what I've read, all 27 people using live search might find use for this widget. ( The rest will just go to Google )

I find Live.com is badly laid out, gives strange results at times, blurs the line between result and sponsored result, (even if they are clearly defined, the merge into one list), and the default text is too large and bold.

I personally would like the option to add more search engines to Safari out the box, (e.g. wikipedia), but at least it has Google as the default. Having Live in IE7 would annoy me too much, and does at work.

hopejr
Apr 22, 2007, 07:04 AM
It's like a comment I read at Vista's launch stating they preferred the Windows Sidebar to Dashboard because it was always there, no need for hitting F12, hot corners, pressing the ball of the Mighty Mouse down or selecting the Dashboard dock icon. If it's set to always be there, it's taking up screen space so you can't let windows go true full screen. If you allow full screen windows, but let Sidebar float on top, that surely blocks off close, minimise and scrolling options when in default right hand side mode. To me, I like that Dashboard is hidden away in the background and a simple click or press reveals it and hides it again. Often I quickly show and hide it using the mouse. If it's hidden underneath windows, I've got to hide all active windows to see it, potentially use flip 3d to go through several clicks to get there, or have to put up with it being there all the time.

Not trying to defend MS or anything, but this needs correction. Until I actually used the sidebar (which isn't on by default anyway), I thought the same thing. However, the default setting is that it is not always on top (although it's an option), and if any maximised apps are focused, the sidebar hides. It's possible to bring the side bar back up by pressing winkey + space, and then hide it again by focussing a maximised app. It doesn't really get in the way.

That widget doesn't appeal to me much. I prefer Google anyway, so I don't really have to put up with the widget. :p

Eraserhead
Apr 23, 2007, 10:52 AM
I personally would like the option to add more search engines to Safari out the box, (e.g. wikipedia), but at least it has Google as the default. Having Live in IE7 would annoy me too much, and does at work.

You can add other search engines to IE7.