PDA

View Full Version : Mysterious Box Arrivals...Current PowerMac Stock Diminishing

MacQuest
Jun 19, 2003, 05:03 AM
Some more fuel for the inferno.

"This comes as Apple has reportedly been supplying its Apple retail stores with boxes scheduled to be opened Monday afternoon, and not before then, first noted by MacRumors earlier in the week."

Taken from ThinkSecret:

http://thinksecret.com/news/channelnewswwdc.html

Yeah MacRumors and MacRumorMongers.:D

MacQuest
Jun 19, 2003, 05:13 AM
Taken from the article in the initial post.

"There is one additional mystery product in the short-term pipeline, a hardware project known as Q6. Little is known about Q6 other than that it will ship with a build train of Mac OS X code-named "Blackrider," and that Apple previously intended to wrap up development this month or the next. Whether or not Q6 is now slated to be one of the hardware announcements at WWDC is unclear."

:confused: :confused: :confused:

richie
Jun 19, 2003, 06:26 AM
Wow... thinksecret posting about the mysterious boxes makes this even more interesting... plus, it's good to see there's still something we don't seem to know anything about out there - Q6. I can't wait till Monday :D

dstorey
Jun 19, 2003, 06:43 AM
what seems most interesting is this Q6 uses its own build train of os x - blackrider. By that i guess they mean a seperate version than os x regular like jag or panther? Does this therefor suggest os x light or whatever you want to call it, some form of DLD such as the home tablet device or whatever. Good thing about this article is that it comes from think secret and they usually have a good record. I guess its the same thing as arm mentioned a while ago as a comms device - or maybe thats the q8 thing, and possibly the mac whispers white plastic thing (if they can be belived)

arby
Jun 19, 2003, 07:22 AM
I agree that the most intriguing thing mentioned in the latest Think Secret post is Q6. What on earth could it be?

A PDA is completely out of the window, Jobs has been quoted multiple times saying that he thinks the PDA market is a no-go area for Apple.

New iPods have just been released, so we can rule out any new iPods as we know them.

What about some sort of Pro iPod with improved / increased functionality, using the OLED screens menthioned on Think Secret, which could be a roming digital device used around the home and office.

Such a device, running a modified version of the upcoming 10.3 could be used to transfer digital media and files unique to a user between their home machine and the office / laptop. This would, in theory at least, tie in with eWeek's report of a more user-centered version of Mac OS X in Panther and Think Secret's report of a rumoured new iChat / digi-cam.

This is, however, random conjecture based on nothing more than the acumulation of reports gathered around the various Mac rumour sites. Could it happen.... who knows?

I think we will see a new Power Mac (whether its called a G5 or PPC970 is anyone's guess) at the WWDC. We've had corellating reports from numerous sites from the super dodgy, read MacOSRumors.com, right up to the more respected online 'zines such as eWeek and CNET News.com, even a public quotation from a prominent Wall Street stock analyst.

In any case, Think Secret seem to be intimating that the Q6 mysto device / OS will not be ready in time for the WWDC, but that development should be wrapped up "this month or the next."

It should be good on Monday. At least, that's what I think from my perspective...:p

davy the bunny
Jun 19, 2003, 08:00 AM
So we have rumors of a a small white plastic casing, a 6" to 8" screen, and a build of OS X called "Blackrider". I hate to be a rumor mongerer really but it is becoming increasingly convincing that there will be a small portable digital device. . . Not a tablet, not a pda, not necessarily a upgraded iPod, but something new and exciting! Jeez, I really can't wait to see this Q6, Q37, "BlackRider", "Smeagol" and heh, Panther of course.

MrMacMan
Jun 19, 2003, 08:43 AM
Blackrider...

Sounds like Mac Os X for x86. ;)

Boxes, boxes, boxes, keep those boxes rolling.

mac15
Jun 19, 2003, 08:44 AM
heeh something discussed on the IRC channel

Q = Quicktake
6 = Quicktime 6 technology

anything can happen :)

macnews
Jun 19, 2003, 08:44 AM
More about the boxes. Q8, Blackrider, stock upgrades - looks like the 970 and some other nice suprises are in store for Monday. Alot of this also sounds very much like what Jobs would want - a big splash, hey look at us (me) event. There is an interesting quote from Steve about him liking big, fancy introductions in a book about the Segway. From the look of things, Monday sounds like it will be just that.

Jays
Jun 19, 2003, 08:45 AM
Maybe this (Q6) is the new Quick cam for iChat mentioned a while back?

Fender2112
Jun 19, 2003, 08:56 AM
Q6 will be Apples version of a digital camera. This fills the "image" hardware gap of Apple's digital hub just as the iPod fills the "audio" gap.

This could be the device that uses some of those mysterious components... small screen, small plastic case.

Just think, a digital camera with a 30 GB hardrive instead of a media card, FireWire 800 port, and intergrates with iLife.

Oh yeah, I can see it!

hvfsl
Jun 19, 2003, 08:58 AM
Monday has the posiblity of being a very good day for me since WWDC and I get my final year of Uni results back. Then again I could get a 2,2 in marks at Uni and Apple might not show off anything besides 10.3. ( 2,2 is 50% overall for those who do not know the UK Uni system, I am aiming for 2,1 or a 1st).

macdiesel
blackrider is the code for the interim OS X that is installed on the 970's? and perhaps blackrider is suggesting that the new 970's are black (think Next cube)? thus proving the leaked photo as fake?

It's all so very exciting isn't it?

michaelrjohnson
It would seem as though now (4 days prior to WWDC) things are starting to fall into place. It's hard to say what's really going to happen (despite all our knowledge!). I think the reports of "Blackrider" are very curious. I feel that they seem to be coming out of nowhere...rather surprising! Well, I'm very excited for the 970, iChat upgrade, PANTHER PREVIEW!!! Looks like this should be interesting!!!! :D

celaurie
Jun 19, 2003, 08:59 AM
Whatever you do, don't google 'blackrider'. *shudders*

hvfsl
Jun 19, 2003, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by Fender2112
Q6 will be Apples version of a digital camera. This fills the "image" hardware gap of Apple's digital hub just as the iPod fills the "audio" gap.

This could be the device that uses some of those mysterious components... small screen, small plastic case.

Just think, a digital camera with a 30 GB hardrive instead of a media card, FireWire 800 port, and intergrates with iLife.

Oh yeah, I can see it!

I can't really see what apple could do that others have not in the world of digital cameras. If Apple does release a digital camera, I am expecting a 3Mpixel combination webcam/digital camera.

davy the bunny
Jun 19, 2003, 09:01 AM
I remember that in the initial reports about the boxes that someone said that there was a large box and a smaller box. . . Anyone know anything about the smaller box?

VIREBEL661
Jun 19, 2003, 09:06 AM
CAN'T WAIT!!! Sounds like Xmas morning!!! We'll seeeee, hopefully we won't be disappointed!

richie
Jun 19, 2003, 09:09 AM
just a random thought here, but since Panther is just about the official name for the next major release of OS X, is it possible that it is actually not called panther internally anymore, but could instead be codenamed 'blackrider'? I mean, it sort of makes sense with the whole LotR concept... tenuous, i know, but still :)

makkystyle
Jun 19, 2003, 09:10 AM
Could 'blackrider' be the new version of OSX that will be running on the PAL device that was leaked a couple weeks back, and the source of the mysterious screenshot from a few days ago??? I can't wait to see what happens next week.

OSeXy!
Jun 19, 2003, 09:10 AM
While there are a fair number of the mid-range 1.25GHz models in the channel, the low-end 1GHz, like the high-end, has generally been cleared.
1.25 G4 becomes new (interim?) low-end PMac?

gopher
Jun 19, 2003, 09:15 AM
Q6 = surprised nobody else caught this, Quark 6!

I mean really, Apple is all excited about it and wants it on its homepage.

On its own, it isn't a hardware product, but it means hardware can finally move forward into all Mac OS X only booting.

astray
Jun 19, 2003, 09:15 AM
LOL, :eek: :D :p

Whatever you do, don't google 'blackrider'. *shudders*

:eek: :D :p

Funniest thing ive seen all day.

MGnards
Jun 19, 2003, 09:18 AM
maybe Apple is trying to beat out Microsoft's portable media player... not quite a pda, it would definitely fit with the screen size...
here's a link re: the microsoft media2go

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/media2go_preview.asp

thats my take on it.

drizahy4
Jun 19, 2003, 09:19 AM
Thats what i say. G5 towers as well as G5 powerbooks. Just saying "This is the year of the powerbook!" aint no better way than to announce it early.

michaelrjohnson
Jun 19, 2003, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by MGnards
maybe Apple is trying to beat out Microsoft's portable media player... not quite a pda, it would definitely fit with the screen size...
here's a link re: the microsoft media2go

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/media2go_preview.asp

thats my take on it.

Interesting concept... but doesn't that eat into the iPod market? I mean, why would you want to degrade the sales of the worlds #1 MP3 player? I could be wrong, but it just is too close to a PDA and an iPod... Two things apple shouldn't meddle with! ;)

pyrotoaster
Jun 19, 2003, 09:22 AM
It's about time Think Secret chimed in with some hardware predicitons. I wouldn't be surprised if the article is gone by the end of the day, though.
Originally posted by Jays
I you actually read the article (which might be a good idea), you'll see that the iChat Cam is identified as "Q8" and that "Q6" and Blackrider are completely unknown.

celaurie
Jun 19, 2003, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by astray
LOL, :eek: :D :p

:eek: :D :p

Funniest thing ive seen all day.

One aims to please! ;)

Laslo Panaflex
Jun 19, 2003, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by makkystyle
Could 'blackrider' be the new version of OSX that will be running on the PAL device that was leaked a couple weeks back,

I'm with you, I think that this stripped down verison of OSX "blackrider" will run on the Q6 or "pal" device. Can't wait for monday, even if only panther is previewed.

michaelrjohnson
Jun 19, 2003, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by pyrotoaster
It's about time Think Secret chimed in with some hardware predicitons. I wouldn't be surprised if the article is gone by the end of the day, though.

I you actually read the article (which might be a good idea), you'll see that the iChat Cam is identified as "Q8" and that "Q6" and Blackrider are completely unknown.

I agree pyro... Think Secret is nipping at the heels of VERY specific information. Fully disclosed codenames, product concepts, etc... If they are right, I think Apple legal will be all over that.

Also: This event more than ANY other I can remember will be the one to make or break many rumor sites... there has been some wild speculation and reputations are at stake! :)

Frobozz
Originally posted by Jays

I think you're right.

macfreek57
Originally posted by mac15
heeh something discussed on the IRC channel

Q = Quicktake
6 = Quicktime 6 technology

anything can happen :)

that's what i thought initially when i read the article.
seems wierd that this is the first time we hear about "q6" and the speak of it so matter-of-factly. not to say that their making it up, but why would they do that and not even provide any supporting evidence or possibly relate their source for information.
just a thought

pyrotoaster
Jun 19, 2003, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by Laslo Panaflex
I'm with you, I think that this stripped down verison of OSX "blackrider" will run on the Q6 or "pal" device. Can't wait for monday, even if only panther is previewed.
That's an interesting point, but I'm still far too suspicious of the whole "Pal" thing to believe that it's real.
Originally posted by Frobozz
I think you're right.
No. If you read the article, you'll see the iChat Cam is codenamed Q8, not Q6.

job
Jun 19, 2003, 09:32 AM
First 'Smeagol,' now 'Blackrider?'

Someone over at Apple must be LOTR-obsessed. :D

yzedf
Jun 19, 2003, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by OSeXy!
1.25 G4 becomes new (interim?) low-end PMac?
Sounds about right to me. Good machine too. If they drop the price five hundred bucks, it might still sell.

If that does happen, what is to become of the case design? Low end G4's with a different case from the higher end 970's? Assuming updates are coming, and that they are 970's.

Interesting to say the least.

yzedf
Jun 19, 2003, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by michaelrjohnson
Interesting concept... but doesn't that eat into the iPod market? I mean, why would you want to degrade the sales of the worlds #1 MP3 player? I could be wrong, but it just is too close to a PDA and an iPod... Two things apple shouldn't meddle with! ;)
Notice the MS device screen shot is date in the year 2000.

http://www.winsupersite.com/images/showcase/media2go_preview_03.jpg

michaelrjohnson
Jun 19, 2003, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by yzedf
Notice the MS device screen shot is date in the year 2000.

http://www.winsupersite.com/images/showcase/media2go_preview_03.jpg

You think that project is tanked? I havent' heard about it till now.

rjstanford
Jun 19, 2003, 09:40 AM
And, alas, still no mention of the one piece of software Apple could really use -- iWorks (or some other office suite that's OSX native and can read/write office files). Having to add AppleCare to the price of new computers is uncompetitive enough, but the extra ~$400 for office seats really starts to add to the cost of Macs for business (as opposed to getting them for next to nothing as part of a software agreement from, say, Dell).

Still, very exciting news nonetheless.

NickFro
Jun 19, 2003, 09:45 AM
Or Blackrider could just be the codename for the release version of 10.2.7 (or 10.2.6-970). It's another Tolkien reference folks...

Personally, I will be just a tad disappointed if Steve-O releases only low-end 970s on Monday, but I suspect that is what is going to happen... Guess I'll just have to pre-order one of the big boys...

justathought87
Jun 19, 2003, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by job
First 'Smeagol,' now 'Blackrider?'

Someone over at Apple must be LOTR-obsessed. :D

i saw that too.

but if it is for a PDA or w/e it should be called hobbit :D

shen
Jun 19, 2003, 09:54 AM
well the good news on the office suite front came out before WWDC. the trolltech people are handing out their kit for mac. that means that koffice from KDE will be able to run on OS X without X11. all it takes is someone doing the work........

since safari using the KDE khtml engine (more or less) and now koffice can run on OS X without X11, who do you think might do that work? you don't think *gasp* apple might take that up, do you? ;)

i know i am hoping!

jbrown
Jun 19, 2003, 09:58 AM
I can't take much more of this - MUST SPEND MONEY - off to my lab to build me a time machine -- will post a report soon ( guess thats relative though! ). :cool: :cool: :cool:

MasonMcD
Jun 19, 2003, 10:13 AM
Blackriders sense the ring, just by being near it.

Bluetooth/Airport thin-client OS?

JOHNGAETANO
Jun 19, 2003, 10:16 AM
The other white box is PAL. Or backrider.

GeneR
Jun 19, 2003, 10:19 AM
I would be so happy if they simply released a new chip. After that, they could probably McGiver a piece of chewing gum with a couple of cereal box tops together, coming up with a new video camera and I'd still be happy. :D

Bring it on, bay-bee!

Maybe Apple is coming out with a quick cam built into the 15" laptops? Hmmmm.

nullard
Jun 19, 2003, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by davy the bunny
Jeez, I really can't wait to see this Q6, Q37, "BlackRider", "Smeagol" and heh, Panther of course.

If Smeagol is the 64bit patch to 10.2, maybe BlackRider is the 64bit patch to 10.2 Server.

mcl
Jun 19, 2003, 10:23 AM
Q6 and blackrider are the revamped 15" tibooks. Blackrider's the code name for the 970 build it runs, just as Smeagol's the codename for the 970 build they're doing in August, just prior to the release of Panther.

pcp_ip
Jun 19, 2003, 10:26 AM
Pal was clearly fake- apple hasn't forced anyone to take the images down.

painandgreed
Jun 19, 2003, 10:31 AM
Working in the tech industry, I have my own "sources". One I discounted weeks back told me that not only will the PM970 machines be shipping at WWDC, but Apple will also be revealing a port of Mac OSX to the IBM Blade server line. I thought that was too much, but it does fit the rumor of a mysterious hardware project using a version of Mac OS X.

celaurie
Jun 19, 2003, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by GeneR
I would be so happy if they simply released a new chip. After that, they could probably McGiver a piece of chewing gum with a couple of cereal box tops together, coming up with a new video camera and I'd still be happy. :D

Bring it on, bay-bee!

Maybe Apple is coming out with a quick cam built into the 15" laptops? Hmmmm.

Apple MacGiver-ing stuff! Heh, too funnee!

IJ Reilly
Jun 19, 2003, 10:50 AM
If even half of these rumors come true, Steve will be on stage for 6 1/2 hours. I hope he decides to shave in the morning, or by the time he's done with the presentation, he's going to look like Tom Hanks talking to a soccer ball.

BTW still no evidence of a media event next week and of course no streaming coverage. It's hard to imagine Apple rolling out any of these many products to a room full of cola addicts and little or no media. Something's got to give here, I just don't know what.

Captnroger
Jun 19, 2003, 10:51 AM
This article is crap - I can buy a dual 1.4 tower today, same day shipping, from the Apple store.

I hope I'm surprised come next week, but I doubt we're going to see the 970s. A new PB, probably, but I doubt we'll see new towers.

dabirdwell
Jun 19, 2003, 10:52 AM
That's MacGuyver

or is it McGuyver

RHutch
Jun 19, 2003, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by Captnroger
This article is crap - I can buy a dual 1.4 tower today, same day shipping, from the Apple store.

I hope I'm surprised come next week, but I doubt we're going to see the 970s. A new PB, probably, but I doubt we'll see new towers.

I wouldn't put so much faith in the quotes on the store. When I bought my dual 1.25 with 22" monitor, the tower was shipping in 3-5 days and the monitor in 1-3. Yeah right. My tower shipped 17 days later. My monitor never shipped because, even though they said 1-3 days, they didn't have any more. My 23" monitor didn't ship for 19 days.

Apple wants you to order. I don't think they are going to put up something that says "Shipping in 2 weeks." Some people might take their money elsewhere instead of waiting.

dabirdwell
Jun 19, 2003, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by IJ Reilly
If even half of these rumors come true, Steve will be on stage for 6 1/2 hours. I hope he decides to shave in the morning, or by the time he's done with the presentation, he's going to look like Tom Hanks talking to a soccer ball.

BTW still no evidence of a media event next week and of course no streaming coverage. It's hard to imagine Apple rolling out any of these many products to a room full of cola addicts and little or no media. Something's got to give here, I just don't know what.

What is this about? I thought Apple was touting this as revolutionary for the future of computing, or something. I also thought they were broadcasting the event.

scan300
Jun 19, 2003, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by michaelrjohnson
This event more than ANY other I can remember will be the one to make or break many rumor sites... there has been some wild speculation and reputations are at stake! :)

Aah but if all the rumours were true it would be a news site. The best part of these rumour sites is their mix of truth, fantasy and hoaxes.

You only need a few rumours to be true and some near misses, but you need meaty conjecture to make a great rumour site.

For me, trying to pick the truth out of all the crap is the lure.

scan300
Jun 19, 2003, 11:07 AM

An Apple press release on their web site states:
'CUPERTINO, California?May 8, 2003?AppleŽ today announced that Steve Jobs will kick off its Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC) with a keynote on Monday, June 23, 2003, beginning at 10:00 a.m. (PDT) at San Francisco?s Moscone West. '

Press release can be found here: http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2003/may/08wwdc.html

gotohamish
Jun 19, 2003, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by drizahy4
Thats what i say. G5 towers as well as G5 powerbooks. Just saying "This is the year of the powerbook!" aint no better way than to announce it early.

No one ever said "year of the powerbook" - it was "year of the notebook" - very different. Perhaps only to include the iBook., and whatever else falls out of Steve's sleeves this year ;)

iindigo
Jun 19, 2003, 11:22 AM
Anyone think Q6 might be the headless iMac?

Mr. Anderson
Jun 19, 2003, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by iindigo

Ah, nice, not the Cube, but the Dome?

Makes sense to have a low end that you can put a monitor on, like a 20" or 23"....

So much potential, the reality will most likely not be as big as our imaginations....

D

Laslo Panaflex
Jun 19, 2003, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by MasonMcD
Blackriders sense the ring, just by being near it.

Bluetooth/Airport thin-client OS?

WOW, thats a startling revelation, I think that you could be on to something. Apple does make most of its money on hardware, Q6 could be another piece of hardware genius.

IJ Reilly
Jun 19, 2003, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by scan300
An Apple press release on their web site states:
'CUPERTINO, California?May 8, 2003?Apple today announced that Steve Jobs will kick off its Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC) with a keynote on Monday, June 23, 2003, beginning at 10:00 a.m. (PDT) at San Francisco?s Moscone West. '

Ordinarily (at a MW Expo keynote) the first 20-30 rows of the hall are packed with media people. As nearly as I can tell, there's been no general media invite to the keynote at WWDC. I asked Apple PR about media access to this event and received no reply.

scan300
Jun 19, 2003, 11:56 AM
As nearly as I can tell, there's been no general media invite to the keynote at WWDC.

The press release gose on to say:
"Press Registration--
Members of the media and industry analysts are invited to attend the keynote and can register by contacting Josh Morgan at (408) 974-7149 or joshm@apple.com. "

Press releases traditionally, in many organisations, are both posted to the PR manager's media contacts directly (fax/email etc) as well as being posted on the web site.

Add to this the number of Apple stores which are holding an event of some sort, and there seems to be enough of an event happening.

pyrotoaster
Jun 19, 2003, 11:56 AM
I think a massively hyped (by Apple) keynote being streamed to every single Apple Store (with a Theater) in the Country might just qualify as a "media event".

I hope I'm surprised come next week, but I doubt we're going to see the 970s. A new PB, probably, but I doubt we'll see new tower
1. The online Apple Store isn't all-knowing
2. Think Secret is probably the most reliable and accurate rumor site right now. I'd be willing to bet money that they're right.
Originally posted by iindigo
No. Q6 is either a Powerbook (I wouldn't be surprised if the PB had a different codename, though), an iBook (doubtful, but possible), or a Digital Gadgety Lifestyle Gizmo.

pyrotoaster
Jun 19, 2003, 12:05 PM
There's a little pattern to be uncovered in many of Apple's codenames. Here's something I noticed and posted at MacUnderground (http://macunderground.blogspot.com/).

On the topic of Q6, codenames like that generally follow a certain group of products. Here's one of the best examples:
iMac DV (P7), iMac G4 (P80), iMac 17" (P79), eMac (P69) Original iBook (P1), FireWire iBook (P1.5), Original Chiclet iBook (P29), Second Chiclet iBook (P92), 14" iBook (P54).

If you go even further back, there's the Pismo (P8), The GB Ethernet TiBook (P25), the current TiBook (P88), the original MDD Powermacs (P57 and P58), and the 23" Cinema display (P63).

The closest reference to the letter Q is the in Powerbook G3 that came after the "Wallstreet" model. It was codenamed "PDQ".

BTW, as for the Lord of the Rings stuff, back in the late 80s, there was a series of LaserWriters named Solo, Leia, and Darth Vader. Just a little interesting...

Jun 19, 2003, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by rjstanford
And, alas, still no mention of the one piece of software Apple could really use -- iWorks (or some other office suite that's OSX native and can read/write office files).

I'd be very surprised if Apple doesn't have such a project well underway internally. But it won't be released until MS dumps Mac Office (which will probably happen when they release Longhorn, possibly earlier).

Rocketman
Jun 19, 2003, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by MacQuest
Some more fuel for the inferno.

"This comes as Apple has reportedly been supplying its Apple retail stores with boxes scheduled to be opened Monday afternoon, and not before then, first noted by MacRumors earlier in the week."

Taken from ThinkSecret:

http://thinksecret.com/news/channelnewswwdc.html

Yeah MacRumors and MacRumorMongers.:D

If they released a low-end 970 it ought to at least have the sales of Powermacs and iMacs combined.

An upscale processor could easily be a quad or a bladerunner-tm.

Rocketman.

deepkid
Jun 19, 2003, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by macfreek57
that's what i thought initially when i read the article.
seems wierd that this is the first time we hear about "q6" and the speak of it so matter-of-factly. not to say that their making it up, but why would they do that and not even provide any supporting evidence or possibly relate their source for information.
just a thought

Why would they reveal their source(s)? That wouldn't be smart at all.

ThinkSecret has a pretty good track record, but as with ALL of these sites ... rumors until proven.

On that subject, its disturbing to see a number of rumor sites take holier-than-thou attitude toward other rumor sites. Pot calling kettle?

pyrotoaster
Jun 19, 2003, 12:13 PM
On the subject of Q6 and Q8:
The Newton was codenamed Q.

RHutch
Jun 19, 2003, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by 3.1416
I'd be very surprised if Apple doesn't have such a project well underway internally. But it won't be released until MS dumps Mac Office (which will probably happen when they release Longhorn, possibly earlier).

While there hasn't been much talk of iWorks for WWDC, this Apple project has been talked about quite a bit in the rumor forums. And, LoopRumors has a post today saying that Apple has cut back the work on this project for fear of having M$ stop working on Office, thus hurting the "Switch" campaign.

Rocketman
Jun 19, 2003, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by pyrotoaster
There's a little pattern to be uncovered in many of Apple's codenames. Here's something I noticed and posted at MacUnderground (http://macunderground.blogspot.com/).

On the topic of Q6, codenames like that generally follow a certain group of products. Here's one of the best examples:
iMac DV (P7), iMac G4 (P80), iMac 17" (P79), eMac (P69) Original iBook (P1), FireWire iBook (P1.5), Original Chiclet iBook (P29), Second Chiclet iBook (P92), 14" iBook (P54).

If you go even further back, there's the Pismo (P8), The GB Ethernet TiBook (P25), the current TiBook (P88), the original MDD Powermacs (P57 and P58), and the 23" Cinema display (P63).

The closest reference to the letter Q is the in Powerbook G3 that came after the "Wallstreet" model. It was codenamed "PDQ".

BTW, as for the Lord of the Rings stuff, back in the late 80s, there was a series of LaserWriters named Solo, Leia, and Darth Vader. Just a little interesting...

I think PQ is a major motherboard topology like voltage and bandwidth.

On that basis there were major bandwidth breaks at Mac+, II, 030, 601, G3, G4 and now G6/970

P. The numbers are almost a linear progression. Some scatter due to processing delays.

I want a Q :)

Rocketman

cubist
Jun 19, 2003, 12:15 PM
Pyrotoaster, are you saying that, to public knowledge, no Q-numbers have been used yet?

In these rumors we've heard Q6 and Q8, and I think we heard Q36 for the new Power Mac.

What were the numbers for the MDD Power Mac? For the Cube? For the TAM?

shecky
Jun 19, 2003, 12:20 PM
i think that Q6/Blackrider could very well be an Apple branded Media Server, ala the HP Digital Media Reciever (http://www.shopping.hp.com/cgi-bin/hpdirect/shopping/scripts/product_detail/product_detail_view.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@1980019422.1056042995@@@@&BV_EngineID=cccdadcijdeeikdcfngcfkmdfondfgm.0&product_code=DB225A%23ABA&cat_level=2&browse_link=true)

This would serve media to an entire househousehold, use Airport + ethernet. have a big HD, firewire + usb to put media directly onto the device, have integrated QT technology, etc..

it would run a light build of OS X to serve the data. You could have your iTunes library, iPhoto library, QT videos etc.. maybe it even has some TiVo functionality to it as well.

it could happen.

clith
Jun 19, 2003, 12:27 PM
Maybe the separate litle box is a videocam, as some have said, but it's shipped as *part of the PowerMac*. It's just that I am reminded of the SGI Indy, which shipped with a built-in "IndyCam", which came in its own little box, separate from the CPU itself.

Of course, this would require some software, likely the oft-mentioned new version of iChat with built-in videoconferencing capability (and hopefully support for ICQ and other IM protocols).

As a wildcard, I will throw in that I hope the PowrMac 970 uses PCI Express (http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=03/06/19/1214239) instead of PCI. Goodbye AGP! This would require new video cards though -- and ATI won't be shipping their PCI Express card until later this year at the earliest (http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/video/display/20030616162537.html). Ah well.

Rootman
Jun 19, 2003, 12:28 PM
Given 64 bits, about how much faster would a 970 have to be compared to a 700 MHz G4 to make up for the time I've spent on these forums?

scan300
Jun 19, 2003, 12:29 PM
Spike Milligan had a comedy sketch series named Q6 and sequentially named each series to Q9.

Q6 could be a joke... or maybe it's a toaster/web browser and the Blackriders are what you get when you burn the toast.

pyrotoaster
Jun 19, 2003, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by cubist
Pyrotoaster, are you saying that, to public knowledge, no Q-numbers have been used yet?

In these rumors we've heard Q6 and Q8, and I think we heard Q36 for the new Power Mac.

What were the numbers for the MDD Power Mac? For the Cube? For the TAM?
To my knowledge there's been to alpha-numerical codename with a Q in it. There has been the "Q" Newtons, though.

Cube: Trinity
TAM: Spartacus, Smoke and Mirrors, Pamona
MDD: P57 and P58

Frobozz
Jun 19, 2003, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by painandgreed
Working in the tech industry, I have my own "sources". One I discounted weeks back told me that not only will the PM970 machines be shipping at WWDC, but Apple will also be revealing a port of Mac OSX to the IBM Blade server line. I thought that was too much, but it does fit the rumor of a mysterious hardware project using a version of Mac OS X.

Although I think Apple would much prefer to have their own servers selling in the corporate sector, it does stand to reason that they would license OS X for blade servers. Maybe that was part of the deal to get the 970 out the door so fast, and the 980 on into testing?

phranque27
Jun 19, 2003, 12:38 PM

I'm decently skeptical about the towers as well, but there is a difference between the supplies available to the public (at the Apple Store, at resellers, etc.) and supplies that are "in the channel", i.e. in large distribution warehouses. A reseller might have a half-dozen on hand (The Apple Store online no doubt has a bunch of 1.4's on hand), but that doesn't mean that there are any "in the channel".

There's usually 8-11 weeks of inventory in the channel, so the fact that its drying up means that products need to come soon.

So its not so much that the Apple store is intentionally lying to you, its that there's a big difference between the stock of machines that are ready do go out on customer orders and the stock of machines making their way through the pipelines to, say, MacMall.

I hope that makes sense...I'm not sure I'm explaining clearly.

mstecker
Jun 19, 2003, 12:44 PM
I don't know why everyone is so fired up about the prospect of an apple camera. I'll be shocked if they do it for the following reasons:

- There's already a mature camera market out there.

- Cameras are really hard. Auto-foucusing, optics, exposure computations. The camera makers have been working this stuff out for years.

In short, why would they want to jump into this game?

Quark
Jun 19, 2003, 12:48 PM
Codenames that are nouns are usually based on a "theme". This is a very common practice and is not isolated to Apple.

Microsoft used names of cities on several of their products.

Heck, even the Star Trek DS9 series names all of their shuttlecraft after Rivers.

The thing to note is that products within the same theme are generally closely related.

The theme for these new software/hardware products is The Lord Of The Rings.

Did anyone else catch the Bluetooth Displays? Somewhere in these threads (don't recall which one), someone mentions specs on what was in some of the boxes. One of the items was the Bluetooth monitor. I may have misread it, but this would be awesome and would allow for input via a touch screen. Perhaps simple browsing, control a media center, check e-mail, etc.

Quark

Frobozz
Jun 19, 2003, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by shecky
i think that Q6/Blackrider could very well be an Apple branded Media Server, ala the HP Digital Media Reciever (http://www.shopping.hp.com/cgi-bin/hpdirect/shopping/scripts/product_detail/product_detail_view.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@1980019422.1056042995@@@@&BV_EngineID=cccdadcijdeeikdcfngcfkmdfondfgm.0&product_code=DB225A%23ABA&cat_level=2&browse_link=true)

This would serve media to an entire househousehold, use Airport + ethernet. have a big HD, firewire + usb to put media directly onto the device, have integrated QT technology, etc..

it would run a light build of OS X to serve the data. You could have your iTunes library, iPhoto library, QT videos etc.. maybe it even has some TiVo functionality to it as well.

it could happen.

TiVo has that covered, and Apple is working with them very closesly to enable AAC mp4's into the TiVo HMO.

IJ Reilly
Jun 19, 2003, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by scan300
The press release gose on to say:
"Press Registration--
Members of the media and industry analysts are invited to attend the keynote and can register by contacting Josh Morgan at (408) 974-7149 or joshm@apple.com. "

Press releases traditionally, in many organisations, are both posted to the PR manager's media contacts directly (fax/email etc) as well as being posted on the web site.

Add to this the number of Apple stores which are holding an event of some sort, and there seems to be enough of an event happening.

As I said earlier, I sent an e-mail to the media contact person and received no reply. This was actually not long after they announced the rescheduling of WWDC to June so they might not have been geared up to respond yet. Still, they made no follow-up effort. Sadly, this has been my experience with Apple PR -- not a very efficient or helpful bunch.

The store events aren't really a substitute for being there. I doubt many media people will be satisfied with a byline "APPLE STORE, LOS ANGELES" when the story is in San Francisco. It will be interesting to see how well the event is covered.

phranque27
Jun 19, 2003, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by mstecker
I don't know why everyone is so fired up about the prospect of an apple camera. I'll be shocked if they do it for the following reasons:

- There's already a mature camera market out there.

- Cameras are really hard. Auto-foucusing, optics, exposure computations. The camera makers have been working this stuff out for years.

In short, why would they want to jump into this game?

I agree completely. the MP3 player market was relatively new when Apple introduced the iPod. They were able to set a standard. Cameras are a much more established industry, and the R&D required to develop optics and lenses alone makes it not worthwhile.

Its the same reason Apple got out of the printer business. Why bother?

Just because there's an iPod to go with iTunes, doesn't mean we're "missing" an "iCamera" to go with iPhoto. The metaphor is flawed anyway, because a camera is a media capture device, whereas the iPod is a media PLAYBACK device. The iPictureFrame is a more valid comparison, and a more likely target for Apple than an iCamera.

Now, videoconferencing is a differnet story. There's an opportunity for Apple to set a standard there, and add value in a way that it really can't with 'traditional' digital cameras.

shecky
Jun 19, 2003, 01:26 PM
ok well, even sans Tivo functionality, i think a media server is a strong possibilty.

Rootman
Jun 19, 2003, 01:54 PM
ok well, even sans Tivo functionality, i think a media server is a strong possibilty.

TIVO makes its money on monthly service, not on their boxes. An Apple TIVO-capable product might be something they'd benefit from.

clith
Jun 19, 2003, 01:55 PM
If there was a separate webcam, and it used firewire to connect (and draw power).. could it be engineered to connect up to an iPod for easy recording of digital video? How does the size of an iPod's disk compare to the space on a Mini-DV tape? 30 Gig sounds like a lot to me.. hours and hours of digital video perhaps?

Continuing my thoughts about FireWire, it would be possible to have many of these things hooked up at once to a PowerMac, opening options for camera switching for webcams. You could have your own 3-camera studio shoot with relatively low cost.

Such cameras should be fairly inexpensive, say around $200-$300, and would thus be limited in their capabilities (fixed focus, small, cheap stereo mic), but there's no reason for the resolution to be anything less than DV (what is it -- 720 pixels wide?).

Ya, okay, so it's wish fulfillment time. I can dream, can't I?

Abstract
Jun 19, 2003, 02:09 PM
Q6!?! Wow, the Apple pager is FINALLY HERE!!! :D

Rootman
Jun 19, 2003, 04:11 PM

TiVO announced today that it has licensed its technology to Pioneer.

Silencio
Jun 19, 2003, 05:08 PM
Funny, this Q6 seems to make sense in relation to my out-of-left-field interpretation of Q37 (37 fiscal quarters since the release of the original PowerMacs):

The original iPod was released 6 fiscal quarters ago. So maybe this is another digital lifestyle device we're talking about here.

That's my absurd theory, and I'm sticking with it!

solvs
Jun 19, 2003, 05:36 PM
Good that ThinkSecret has finally posted something about this stuff. Then again, several us have received e-mails from TechTV saying that they can't cover WWDC live. No live QT stream. I hope we aren't too disappointed.