Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cbrain

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 9, 2006
North-East, UK
Hello!

I'm unsure whether to get XP or Vista.

These are the things I need to run:

MS Office
Elder Scrolls 4 Oblivion
Age of Mythology (Not required but would be nice)

I am leaning towards Vista Home Premium.

These are my macs specs:

20inch iMac
ATI Radeon X1600
2.16gHZ Processor
1GB RAM
250gb Hard Drive

Thanks.

macenforcer

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2004
Colorado
Hello!

I'm unsure whether to get XP or Vista.

These are the things I need to run:

MS Office
Elder Scrolls 4 Oblivion
Age of Mythology (Not required but would be nice)

I am leaning towards Vista Home Premium.

These are my macs specs:

20inch iMac
ATI Radeon X1600
2.16gHZ Processor
1GB RAM
250gb Hard Drive

Thanks.

Fry's has Vista Home Premium for $109 right now.

http://www.outpost.com/entry?site=op:mfe031406&sku=5119696

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
Personally I would go with XP. Vista is still in need or a couple of service packs before it can be considered finished, and you already have a next-gen OS in the shape of OSX. The rest of the world isn't going to move en masse to Vista for at least another 12 months. Let someone else take the early-adopter pain.

ghall

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2006
Rhode Island
Yeah, XP would be fine. Your computer should be able to handle Vista, but....just don't get Vista, okay. :D If you do, they (M$) win.

cbrain

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 9, 2006
North-East, UK
Okay,

I have decided to go with XP but should I get Home Edition or Professional? I'm leaning towards Home because it is cheaper, but what do you guys think?

Thanks.

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
XP Home,

you don't really need professional for much of anything, it just has some extra features, but seeing that this isn't your primary OS it would seem a waste of money, but running vista on a secondary machine doesn't make sense and professional wouldn't either, home edition has suited me perfectly...

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Can vista run on the mac platform?

Vista doesn't really "run" on anything. It merely slowly, lethargically, walks along, screwing up everything in it's path :D

Make sure to buy an OEM copy of XP Home...one can be had for 90 bucks at Newegg:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116056

100% legal, and about half the price of XP Home retail. You lose the pretty packaging, but save a lot of cash. And if you do want XP Pro, I think OEM is around $130.

Benjamindaines

macrumors 68030
Mar 24, 2005
A religiously oppressed state
100% legal, and about half the price of XP Home retail. You lose the pretty packaging, but save a lot of cash. And if you do want XP Pro, I think OEM is around $130.

You also become your own tech support, Microsoft won't help you with OEM issues since the company (or yourself in this case) becomes your primary tech support when you install.

AZJayhawk

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2007
Another derivation to this question.

I don't have a full-install disk of either XP Home or XP Pro. However, I do have an upgrade disk for XP Pro.

If I were to purchase an OEM version of XP Home from Newegg, etc. (since it is $50 less than XP Pro) and after installing the OEM XP Home on my MacBook, while I was in Windows (either Bootcamp or Parallels), would I be able to use my XP Pro upgrade disk to install XP Pro?

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
XP hands down if you need Windows. Vista is a hog and from all the Windows users and IT techs who have used it that I know, they have all complained about it and/or gone back to XP. If you just need a few programs, don't go anywhere near Vista.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
Got with XP Home or XP Pro.

Stay away from Vista for now. Microsoft usually takes a couple of iterations to get it right (95 SR2, 98 SE, 2K SP4, XP SP2). Wait until Vista SP2 or whatever it is called is released.

Also, to run Vista on your system, you will need some more RAM. You current setup will run XP fine.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Another derivation to this question.

I don't have a full-install disk of either XP Home or XP Pro. However, I do have an upgrade disk for XP Pro.

If I were to purchase an OEM version of XP Home from Newegg, etc. (since it is $50 less than XP Pro) and after installing the OEM XP Home on my MacBook, while I was in Windows (either Bootcamp or Parallels), would I be able to use my XP Pro upgrade disk to install XP Pro?

Sounds like you're trying to use the XP Pro twice, which would be a violation of your EULA. If the XP Pro license (or the 98 license you upgraded from) is not already in use and you have transfer rights, there are much easier ways to install straight from the Upgrade CD.

1) Use an external USB CD/DVD drive with your 98 CD for verification
2) Combine your 98 and XP Pro upgrade discs and install straight from that

Vista doesn't really "run" on anything. It merely slowly, lethargically, walks along, screwing up everything in it's path :D

FWIW I was actually impressed with how Vista ran on a new Dell Dimension 9200 2.4 GHz Conroe/4 GB RAM compared to other boxes I've seen/tried it on. Unfortunately, our IT department isn't ready to support it so we downgraded it to XP.

B

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.