Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

willybNL

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Since iMovie is making to much errors and is a bit to unstable to do some editing on a wedding-video I want to upgrade to a more professional software package.

Buy Final Cut Express now? Or is your advise to wait until FC6 drops it fruits into the express version (and what is the expected time before that will happen).

(Maybe good to extend the buyer's guide with software?)

hogmog

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2006
Thames Valley, UK
Same question

I too would be interested in hearing thoughts on when Final Cut Express 4 (or whatever it might be called) might make an appearance.

hvfsl

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2001
London, UK
Well MacWorld Paris (Sept) and MacWorld SF (Jan 08) both seem like good times to release it. Although if I had to put money on it, I would bet MacWorld SF. The new version of iLife will be coming with Leopard in October and FCE4 might take advantage of some of the new features (like HD movie burning in iDVD?).

In any case, if you need the software now, I would buy it now. You can also get the upgrade version when they finally release FCE 4.

Royale w/cheese

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2007
I'm betting we will see an upgrade before the holiday season, if memory serves me right, apple usually releases FCE upgrades around july? Except for 3 I believe, but 1,2, and 3.5 were.

dswoodley

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2002
I'm betting we will see an upgrade before the holiday season, if memory serves me right, apple usually releases FCE upgrades around july? Except for 3 I believe, but 1,2, and 3.5 were.

Maybe, but I wouldn't hold my breath. Apple's resources look to be overloaded right now. Now that they just got FCS 2 out the door, it'll take them some months to get FCE 4 ready to go. I'd go ahead and get FCE 3.5 now. If I remember, the upgrade (with Ed. Discount) from FCE 3 to 3.5 was only $50 or so - hardly bank-breaking.

macfriend1

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2007
Stockholm
Is Final Cut express running on macbook 80GB, 2.0 GHz, 1 GB RAM?
Like for almost professional use? (no big hourslong videos. only small 5min things, and art stuff also)

dswoodley

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2002
Is Final Cut express running on macbook 80GB, 2.0 GHz, 1 GB RAM?
Like for almost professional use? (no big hourslong videos. only small 5min things, and art stuff also)

Yes, it works with that setup, though 2GB ram would be better. I use FCE for the same sorts of stuff you reference and the performance is passable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.