PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn for PowerPC

MacBytes
Apr 21, 2007, 05:07 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: 3rd Party Software
Link: Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn for PowerPC (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20070421180700)
Description:: Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn has been released and can be downloaded for PowerPC from the Ubuntu servers. It was big news when the Ubuntu Technical Board announced that PowerPC would be relegated to an unofficial port. Many thought this would be the end of Ubuntu on PowerPC. However there are still many users, and the PowerPC forum is as active as ever. For more information see the Ubuntu PowerPC FAQ

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

Shotglass
Apr 21, 2007, 05:20 PM
This is good news and everything, but I always thought of PPC Linux as something.....slightly redundant. I mean, PPC Macs already have the best OS in the world (just my opinion as a hardcore fanboy;) ). But Oh well, I always enjoyed the LiveCDs, although they're a pain on 512MB of RAM.

clevin
Apr 21, 2007, 05:23 PM
i think this PPC Ubuntu will be continued until version 9.10, by then most ppc computers would retire

CRAZYBUBBA
Apr 21, 2007, 05:51 PM
Thats excellent! I was just about to install the old version this week. :)

scottlinux
Apr 21, 2007, 06:09 PM
For those interested:

Thermal support for G5 machines is all working. (Haven't heard from any iMac iSight owners yet.) Airport extreme works for laptops. VLC plays every codec under the sun, including flash video. This is a great release!

mkrishnan
Apr 21, 2007, 06:57 PM
To add to Scott's feedback:

- At least some of the desktop effects were working on an iBooK G4 -- the cubing and the wobbles worked very well.
- Overall feel of system speed on an 800 MHz machine using a Live CD (!) was impressively fast.
- Does not appear to support the ability to put a PPC Mac to sleep and wake it? Or is this a livecd limitation? If not, then this is still a major dealbreaker for most notebook users, at the minimum. Oddly, it did have options to put the computer to sleep after time-out, which I did not test. But no option in the "quit" menu and no option to sleep on lid-close.
- Could not make a WPA1 or WPA2 connection to my AEBS... the only thing I didn't check is if, for some reason it has a different MAC address under Ubuntu? :confused:
- Did have hardware support for ... control of brightness, volume from keyboard, etc.
- The included themes are nice. I played around with a "glass" theme that is somewhat reminiscent of Vista in addition
- f-spot -- a Linux response to iPhoto, in essence -- is new to me (but not particularly new, as I understand), and fairly impressive.

(My iMac is not an iSight model, Scott, but I'd try it and add iMac feedback, except that I only have a bluetooth keyboard and mouse, which I understand is not a supported boottime configuration in Ubuntu.)

It's a very impressive release. There are still a lot of notable gaps in UI in Linux -- for instance, keyboard shortcuts are very inconsistent between apps by default. And as I've stated many times before, competent bluetooth input device and phone syncing are absolute minimum entry requirements for me. But this is really a gorgeous release, and felt very easy to use and learn.

Eric5h5
Apr 21, 2007, 11:47 PM
I always thought of PPC Linux as something.....slightly redundant. I mean, PPC Macs already have the best OS in the world (just my opinion as a hardcore fanboy;) ).

There are other PPC computers in the world. Granted, they aren't exactly common, and no doubt Macs are the usual platform for PPC Linux. But still.

--Eric

mkrishnan
Apr 22, 2007, 07:44 AM
There are other PPC computers in the world. Granted, they aren't exactly common, and no doubt Macs are the usual platform for PPC Linux. But still.

Plus, there are other worthwhile benefits of Linux on PPC... for instance, the fact that everyone in the Linux community has essentially immediate access to free upgrades of everything. This is no less different from MacOS than it is from Windows. Anyway, it was good, at the time particularly, for Linux. It was good for Linux to be put up against something like OS X, so it wasn't always just setting its goals to beat Windows XP. Which, you know, is kind of like hoping to sing better than William Hung.

Torvalds briefly had a PMG5 as his Linux desktop, didn't he? I'm presuming he doesn't anymore, though.

Shotglass
Apr 22, 2007, 08:21 AM

--EricI know, but then again, I always thought of PS3s running Linux as more of an experiment.
Looking at the hardware specs, though, the PS3 would make a killer machine, wouldn't it?

Eric5h5
Apr 23, 2007, 05:03 PM
I know, but then again, I always thought of PS3s running Linux as more of an experiment.

I wasn't even thinking about consoles...there have been other desktop PPC computers that aren't Macs. But that's also a good point.

Looking at the hardware specs, though, the PS3 would make a killer machine, wouldn't it?

Depends on what you're doing. For some apps, it could be a killer machine, though the lack of RAM could be limiting.

--Eric

Sam0r
Apr 24, 2007, 09:50 AM
Wow, cool.

Has anyone actually installed this yet? I tried the last version, but I couldn't get beryl working, nor drivers for the 9600 in my powerbook.