Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EvryDayImShufln

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 18, 2006
Hi I plan on soon putting up a website myself, I'm a beginner when it comes to the details of the web workings, but I know how to use photoshop etc to make myself a decent page. My question is whether iWeb is up to the task of putting up a non-blog webpage, or will I need dreamweaver or something else more advanced?

I'd do a search but my MBP battery is about to die and tonight I'm calibrating :D so if this topic is very redundant please delete this mods, if not I'll check tomorrow for your answers.

Thanks

Aperture

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2006
PA
What kinda site is it? Have you never written any HTML? From my experience, iWeb can code badly (as with most WYSIWYG editors) and most iWeb pages look identical.. Black or white, horizontal navigation at the top and tons of reflections. I kind of get tired of it after awhile. Anyway, I would be more creative and make your site in PS then add all the text/etc with HTML. (I know I am a hypocrite myself considering my entire site defies web standards, but I do have the right intentions!)

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana
Hi I plan on soon putting up a website myself, I'm a beginner when it comes to the details of the web workings, but I know how to use photoshop etc to make myself a decent page. My question is whether iWeb is up to the task of putting up a non-blog webpage, or will I need dreamweaver or something else more advanced?

I'd do a search but my MBP battery is about to die and tonight I'm calibrating :D so if this topic is very redundant please delete this mods, if not I'll check tomorrow for your answers.

Thanks

Indeed. See below, both iWeb'ums.

EvryDayImShufln

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 18, 2006
I've used some HTML in the past, but not enough to create a "decent" site using something like notepad or textedit. But you guys just showed me that iweb can pull it off, so I'm assuming it is like a stripped down version of dreamweaver or something?

I'm not looking for animations or anything too complex, maybe that can be done later. I'm looking for simplicity for now.

All those sites you guys showed me made from iweb looked great! So I guess it would probably work for me too then

ambient

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2007
i have to agree with aperture iweb is easy to use but does not give the best results.. its depends what the site is for is it a hobby? or a professional business?

that said, iweb is good for creating personal blogs.. anything else you should look at dreamweaver or something similar...

bmcgonag

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2007
Texas
I used iWeb for the past year or so for various sites, and while it's easy, looks pretty good, it's not as functional on your own host as it is on .mac.

I just recently tried out, and bought SandVox, great program. I just bought the personal version, which doesn't allow you to change the html, but all you have to do is create your pages in WYSIWYG, then export the site to a local folder, and open the html and edit away. saved me $40 US, and I like what it's allowed me to do.

It has quirks, as does any editor, but not that bad. I also like that it leaves my video podcast files named the way I named them orignially, instead of changing them to some long, ridiculous alpha-numeric complex thing.

Just my 2 cents, but it's not a bad little program.

Best,

Brian

dswoodley

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2002
iweb is great for getting started of you have no or little background with HTML. It reminds me of how I used to use MS publisher or Word for webpages (a decade ago). However, the limitations of iWeb quickly become apparent despite some of its cool features: RSS, blogs, photocasts, etc. Management of a site is easy, but time-consuming - you make a little change and have to update the whole site, not just the little piece you changed. Works good with .mac, not as good with other FTP sites.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.