Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

suneohair

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 27, 2006
Well, I have seen it on others, now it has hit my White C2D 2.0 Macbook.

What is Apples procedure on this?

Sorry about the crappy picture, my P&S has focus issues.

Attachments

• macbook crack.jpg
    macbook crack.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 3,381

szsiddiq

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2005
Well, I have seen it on others, now it has hit my White C2D 2.0 Macbook.

What is Apples procedure on this?

Sorry about the crappy picture, my P&S has focus issues.

take it to the genius bar, they SHUD replace it, unless their policies have changed

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Wow! Makes me appreciate the iBook design! :( I hope you get it fixed soon. Did it break while you were using it, or did you open a bag or something and pull it out and find it broken? That's wow...

bigrell486

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2006
Home
My Macbook has that crack too. It comes from the "feet" of the top of the lid. It happens if you close the lid too hard.

Think of a screwdriver pounding into an ice cube and you'll get the picture.

iaymnu

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2007
I believe that the crack is made by when the macbook is closed, and pressure is pushing on top of it. What I did is that I used the radtech keyboard covers and covered the whole keyboard+palm rest. Now when my MB is closed it sits on the cloth rather then on the top case. I figured if it can't touch the case it wouldn't crack.

2tallyAwesome

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2007
Agh!

I Just noticed the EXACT SAME CRACK on my macbook, and came on here to see if anyone else had it.

Anyone have luck getting it fixed?

stopandlisten

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2007
exact same crack here... it looks like it lines up directly with the feet of the lid.

the left side of my macbook looks to be weakening in the exact same area.

i made an appointment with the genius bar for tomorrow morning. :(

Andrew D.

macrumors 6502
Apr 17, 2007
Chicago, IL
Oh man, I'm planning on putting an order in for a refurbished MacBook real soon.. I hope I won't be affect by this. What is the percentage of cracks that do occur? Ahh!

fraserdrew

macrumors member
May 23, 2006
Same has just happened to me... BUT mine is out of warranty since Jan 15th (I think- when I go on warranty checker it says "Our records indicate that your product is covered under a custom contract."- No AppleCare, however this is a replacement MB) but back to the point, ANY chance they will replace?

freeloader

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2008
London
Same has just happened to me... BUT mine is out of warranty since Jan 15th (I think- when I go on warranty checker it says "Our records indicate that your product is covered under a custom contract."- No AppleCare, however this is a replacement MB) but back to the point, ANY chance they will replace?

I just actually noticed mine today too..checked here to see anyone else got it. I haven't got apple care either...only had the macbook since Nov 07! Do u think it'll come up to one year warranty?? I would like to know the answer to your question too...cos me gettin a bit worried.i dont want to have to pay for a replacement or anything!

marvel2

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2007
I took my core duo macbook in to the genius bar and they replaced it out of warranty. Nice.

PDE

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2005
I took my core duo macbook in to the genius bar and they replaced it out of warranty. Nice.

As they SHOULD. It's great that you got it fixed, but it is really a design flaw that should be continue to be covered long after the warranty expires. Apple should extend teh warranty for this specific issue for at least three years to cover people who use their macbooks lightly and therefore take time to crack it.

Hope they've changed the material so that it doesn't happen again.

freeloader

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2008
London
As they SHOULD. It's great that you got it fixed, but it is really a design flaw that should be continue to be covered long after the warranty expires. Apple should extend teh warranty for this specific issue for at least three years to cover people who use their macbooks lightly and therefore take time to crack it.

Hope they've changed the material so that it doesn't happen again.

it would make sense if they changed the design or material as you said. If many people go to get there Mac refurbished, wouldn't it just save them extra costs if they resolve the issue by doing the above?!?!? So why dont they???

ianhawdon

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2008

I'm having the same problem too, but I live in Newcastle Upon Tyne (UK) and my closest Apple Store is in Glasgow (some 144 Miles away!)

How would Apple handle a case like this?

freeloader

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2008
London
I'm having the same problem too, but I live in Newcastle Upon Tyne (UK) and my closest Apple Store is in Glasgow (some 144 Miles away!)

How would Apple handle a case like this?

have you rang Apple Care? If you explain the situation and how the nearest apple store is no where near, they maybe able to sort something out for you.

EMAGDNIM

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2006
Toronto, Canada
Wow...that has happened to me as well. And here I thought it was my fault. I just stuck a sticker over it so that I didn't have to look at it HA!.

I did take it to my local Apple store and they said that they'd have to send it in on my dime (even though I have apple care).

I'm giving it to my GF and upgrading to a AIR or MBP...

Fiwi

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2008
Same thing has happened on my Mack book. It started out as a little crack that was barely noticeable and now the edge has completely broken away. I'm out of warranty and don't have AppleCare. I went to the G bar and was told they weren't allowed to fix them free of charge anymore. PDE, I can't believe they fixed yours. I took mine in months ago and that's when they told me they couldn't fix it for free. It was going to cost around $300. Obviously some stores are more willing to overlook the rules and help out more than others. I can't believe Mac hasn't recalled this known issue. I've been a long time Mac user and they've really disappointed me this time. :(

ryannel2003

macrumors 68000
Jan 30, 2005
Greenville, NC
Same thing has happened on my Mack book. It started out as a little crack that was barely noticeable and now the edge has completely broken away. I'm out of warranty and don't have AppleCare. I went to the G bar and was told they weren't allowed to fix them free of charge anymore. PDE, I can't believe they fixed yours. I took mine in months ago and that's when they told me they couldn't fix it for free. It was going to cost around $300. Obviously some stores are more willing to overlook the rules and help out more than others. I can't believe Mac hasn't recalled this known issue. I've been a long time Mac user and they've really disappointed me this time. :(

The Genius Bar saying they can't fix is it is a load of crap... they just don't want to take time to do it. Apple has been fixing a lot of out of warranty MacBooks, mainly because the plastic isn't of the highest quality. I would call up Apple and complain, because anybody who spends $1100-$1500 on a laptop shouldn't have this issue popping up. Especially after a little less than 2 years...

Indyrs2

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2008
The same thing happened to my macbook and i just brought it to the genius bar and they fixed it with a new keyboard no questions asked.

Fiwi

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2008
ryannel2003, you gave the push I needed to call Mac and complain again. I had called them several months ago and was turned down b/c I was out of warranty. Apparently they've had enough complaints since then that they are indeed fixing the problem even if you are out of warranty. They gave me a CS (customer satisfaction) code# so I could go into my nearest Mac Store and have it fixed. :D

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH
Does anyone know whether the current Penryn models have had the case modified inside to fix this issue?

-Kevin

sixtyone

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2008
ugh i hate reading about this...

i keep debating about what macbook to get (reg or pro) but seeing all the pics and reading all the threads about it... it's really turning me off of getting a macbook...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.