PDA

View Full Version : What if Everyone Actually Planted a Tree on Earth Day?

cadillaccactus
Apr 22, 2007, 11:35 AM
http://www.blogyoulikeahurricane.com/2007/04/what-if-everyone-actually-planted-tree.html

"The average tree absorbs somewhere around 4.5 kg of carbon dioxide per year. That may not sound like a lot. But if everyone on the planet planted a tree on Earth Day, there would be six billion more trees tomorrow than there was yesterday. Those trees would remove roughly 27 Million metric tons of carbon dioxide from the atmosphere annually."

Mammoth
Apr 22, 2007, 12:07 PM
Where would we find 6 billion little trees though? :confused:

zap2
Apr 22, 2007, 12:10 PM
Where would we find 6 billion little trees though? :confused:

Good call...also if there are already 6 billion tree(the one we'd be planting) aren't they all ready doing there job?;)

But yes I should have planet a tree

katie ta achoo
Apr 22, 2007, 12:11 PM
The price of a tree would skyrocket as demand-pull inflation in the tree market takes its toll.

or something-- it's too early in the morning for ecomonics!

SkyBell
Apr 22, 2007, 12:13 PM
I would love for everyone to do that.

But it isn't gonna happen.

bartelby
Apr 22, 2007, 12:14 PM
The price of a tree would skyrocket as demand-pull inflation in the tree market takes its toll.

Plus more paper would be needed to print extra money too.

ghall
Apr 22, 2007, 12:33 PM
That would be a helluvalotta trees. :eek: But we need all the trees we can get.

Queso
Apr 22, 2007, 12:44 PM

Not to mention they'd have to fly the little trees to demand hotspots all over the world. Then we'd need to plant even more trees to deal with the extra carbon from the aviation fuel, and so on, and so on. :eek:

Planet Earth would become like Endor, only without the teddy bears.

iGav
Apr 22, 2007, 02:43 PM
The biggest problem with carbon offsetting, is that it doesn't change peoples attitudes nor their lifestyles. They do it for nothing else than to salve their conscience.

zap2
Apr 22, 2007, 02:48 PM
Planet Earth would become like Endor, only without the teddy bears.

Don't you mean earth could be come like Forest moon of Endor?

We never say the Endor itself
:p

killr_b
Apr 22, 2007, 02:49 PM
Carbon dioxide is NOT a pollutant.

But trees are pretty… I think 6B would leave us with very little room to live though… :rolleyes:

Hummer
Apr 22, 2007, 02:49 PM

You guys could switch to cotton.

QuarterSwede
Apr 22, 2007, 02:50 PM
US currency is made with cotton. Not sure about other countries.

johnee
Apr 22, 2007, 02:59 PM
Carbon dioxide is NOT a pollutant.

But trees are pretty… I think 6B would leave us with very little room to live though… :rolleyes:

nonsense, I could plant 100 trees behind my house, easily. So could all my neighbors, and they are pretty close to me. 6B trees sounds like a lot, but it's really not in terms of space.

MacNut
Apr 22, 2007, 03:10 PM
Until a huge forest fire does more damage. More trees that would burn equals more pollution.

You can't just plant more trees without getting rid of the old dead trees first. If the forrest gets to thick nothing will grow anyways.

I don't have to plant anything, the seeds spread and plant themselves making more work for me to try to maintain it all.

pseudobrit
Apr 22, 2007, 03:15 PM
US currency is made with cotton.

It's also 1/4 linen.

Queso
Apr 22, 2007, 03:41 PM
Don't you mean earth could be come like Forest moon of Endor?

We never say the Endor itself
:p
Ah. I just assumed it was Star Wars descriptive-speak, like "Ice Planet of Hoth". Having not read any of the books and stuff though, I'll bow to your greater geekhood on the matter :p

Trogloxene
Apr 22, 2007, 03:51 PM
I buy a live christmas tree each year and then go plant it afterwards. That way I don't "kill a tree for christmas"! and I add a tree.

I think I will go plant a tree for Earth Day - it is still a good idea! :)

-T

Abstract
Apr 22, 2007, 06:13 PM
Good call...also if there are already 6 billion tree(the one we'd be planting) aren't they all ready doing there job?;)

Exactly. You're not making a new tree. You're just migrating a tree from one place to another. The tree is alive whether you plant it or not, and if you don't plant it, someone else will plant that tree somewhere else.

adk
Apr 22, 2007, 09:50 PM
I buy a live christmas tree each year and then go plant it afterwards. That way I don't "kill a tree for christmas"! and I add a tree.

I think I will go plant a tree for Earth Day - it is still a good idea! :)

-T

How do you use it then? do you put it in a big pot and plop the whole thing in your living room?

Sun Baked
Apr 22, 2007, 11:26 PM
Trying to plant millions of trees in downtown LA or New York will have a lot of people pissed off.

Although the convertibles in LA would make some nifty planters? ;)

mrkramer
Apr 22, 2007, 11:30 PM
Exactly. You're not making a new tree. You're just migrating a tree from one place to another. The tree is alive whether you plant it or not, and if you don't plant it, someone else will plant that tree somewhere else.

But when people buy them there will be more planted or else the stores would run out, so there would end up being more trees.

SMM
Apr 23, 2007, 12:20 AM
We have planted several hundred over the past 10 years. We have 5 acres and it is ~50% tree covered. We also give away ~50/year to our suburban city friends. I would be glad to provide free trees to anyone who wants them.

Abstract
Apr 23, 2007, 05:47 AM
But when people buy them there will be more planted or else the stores would run out, so there would end up being more trees.

The trees already existed. Whether it was sitting indoors in a greenhouse/store, or outside on your front lawn doesn't change a thing. The trees existed before you bought it, and just because it's sitting in a store doesn't mean it's not cleaning our air. You can't stop a tree from taking in CO2 just because of a lack of ownership.

killr_b
Apr 23, 2007, 05:52 AM
nonsense, I could plant 100 trees behind my house, easily. So could all my neighbors, and they are pretty close to me. 6B trees sounds like a lot, but it's really not in terms of space.

Okay, I could see that. But tell me this- how do you plan to water them?@! :D ha haha. We'd have to melt down the remaining glacial ice… ha ha, that's a whole new world of polar bears drowning right? :D

That's it! Here on MR we proved it. All the environmental requests can not be met. We're all screwed! :eek: :D

rtjstevens
Apr 23, 2007, 06:45 AM
This only works if the rate of photosynthesis (P) exceeds the rate of respiration (R); thus C02 absorption only works whilst the tree/forest is growing. When growth has stopped P=R, so there is no nett C02 influx or efflux. As trees decline and eventually decay, C02 is given off by the respiring bacteria and fungi. So, sorry guys- it won't work (except inthe short term). You'll need to find other C02 sinks - and another problem here is that one of the main sinks - that of the ice caps - are melting - releasing even more C02 (positive feedback). IF C02 IS the/a major cause of Global Warming then we'll need alternatives.

Such as....?

Richard

SkyBell
Apr 23, 2007, 11:29 AM
Okay, I could see that. But tell me this- how do you plan to water them?@! :D ha haha. We'd have to melt down the remaining glacial ice… ha ha, that's a whole new world of polar bears drowning right? :D

That's it! Here on MR we proved it. All the environmental requests can not be met. We're all screwed! :eek: :D

Polar Bears can swim.:p

But yeah, I think that the trees are already there so they are doing their job.

But planting a tree in your yard makes it more beautiful, doesn't it?

pseudobrit
Apr 23, 2007, 04:17 PM
The trees already existed. Whether it was sitting indoors in a greenhouse/store, or outside on your front lawn doesn't change a thing. The trees existed before you bought it, and just because it's sitting in a store doesn't mean it's not cleaning our air. You can't stop a tree from taking in CO2 just because of a lack of ownership.

So what happens if no one buys the tree?

What happens to that seeding?

What does the store do when it's time to order more from the nursery?