PDA

View Full Version : using a Verizon cellphone to connect an ibook

QCassidy352
Jun 19, 2003, 12:36 PM
I recently got a Samsung a310 cell phone with Verizon Wireless service. They have this feature they call "extended network" which allows you to use the cell phone to connect a laptop to the internet, but after reading the manual, I'm getting a sneaking suspicion that this will not work on a mac. Does anyone know?

ftaok
Jun 19, 2003, 01:08 PM
The "extended network" has nothing to do with connecting a cell phone to a computer (Mac or PC). The extended network is just an expanded home area that may or may not have different rates and such. It's a term used for roaming and such.

I believe what you're referring to is the Express Network. With it, you can get speeds of up to 144kbps. All you need is a compatible phone and a USB cable (phone specific). Then you have to have the service activated.

Try the maccellphone yahoo group for more detail.

NOTE - if your phone isn't Express Network compatible, you can still use it as a modem (at 14.4 speeds). And best of all, it only uses your minutes (good if you have some sort of UL minute plan).

BothHands
Jun 19, 2003, 01:26 PM
I am not familiar with that particular phone, but I suspect that it will work as all the other 3g/CDMA phones I have tried. The following instructions apply to the Verizon Express Network. Here are the instructions:

Before you start you must connect to the network using the phone handset itself at least once. Then:
Connect the phone via USB, go to SYSTEM Preferences --> Network. At this point you will get a message that a new network port has been detected and that you need to configure it. In the TCP/IP tab select "Using PPP". In the PPP tab the account name is "YourPhoneNumber@vzw3g.com" (ex. 2125555555@vzw3g.com). The passwork is vzw and the telephone number is #777. Check the "Save password" box. Under the modem tab select a modem script, there may be a specific script for your phone, but probably not listed here. The script that seems to work with most phones is "auCDMAone by Sony", there is also a "Sprint PCS Vision" Script that may work. Un-check wait for dial tone, select Tone, sound Off. You may wish to check "show modem status in menu bar". Click apply and you are ready. You should now see your phone as a choice in your internet connect menu ( or under the phone in the menu bar.)

The same instructions will work for Sprint PCS vision although a user name and password are not required. Make sure you have the correct user plan. Verizon sells unlimited express network for $80/month, otherwise I believe the billing is per minutes on your plan. Sprint has unlimited vision for Laptops and PDA's for $120/month (although I have heard that any of there unlimited PCS vision plans will work, though not advertised as such). Verizon customer service is usually very good. They have this information.

also here is a helpful link:
http://homepage.mac.com/jrc/contrib/mobile_office/

QCassidy352
Jun 19, 2003, 10:00 PM
yes, you are quite right: I meant to type express network, not extended.

bothhands: thank you for the detailed reply. So no airport card is needed? I ask because the instructions for PC said a lot about a wireless card.

finally, do you know how expensive this usb cable is, and where it can be bought?

thanks!

BothHands
Jun 20, 2003, 04:20 AM
The wireless card they are referring to is probably one of the Sierra wireless cards. This is a pcmcia card that is like a wireless modem. I do not believe there are mac drivers for these cards. This is not an airport card, no airport card is needed for the express network.

The connection cables can be obtained from either the manufacturer, Radio Shack (or similar), or a verizon wireless store. I caution against buying from Verizon though because they usually sell a "connection kit" that consists of an overpriced cable and wintel only software (the connection kit for my Kyocera 2235 phone was $70, the cable from the manufacturer is much less, like $30).