PDA

View Full Version : Boris Yeltsin's Dead

mrfrosty
Apr 23, 2007, 09:01 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/6584481.stm

Peterkro
Apr 23, 2007, 09:02 AM
I'm guessing his liver finally gave up the ghost.

jsw
Apr 23, 2007, 09:04 AM
That, or Putin got tired of him too.

kretzy
Apr 23, 2007, 09:05 AM
Oh wow. I guess the vodka finally got to him.

AVID
Apr 23, 2007, 09:13 AM
Compared to Gorbachev, he hasnt actually made a lot of headlines, (none that i heard of anyway in oz) may be he's been sick for a while.

mattscott306
Apr 23, 2007, 09:36 AM
Oh wow. I guess the vodka finally got to him.

I didn't think vodka COULD get to Russians...

brad.c
Apr 23, 2007, 10:10 AM
If it wasn't for the vodka, he would have died in the 90's. It's a testimonial to the medicinal, curative and preservative properties of Russian Vodka.

Absolut Lifeblood.

FleurDuMal
Apr 23, 2007, 10:25 AM
It'll be interesting to see how history judges this man. On the one hand he did as much as one man can do to dismantle an empire capable of immense evil. On the other he sold off all the states most lucrative assetts to his cronies whilst some citizens starved.

Counterfit
Apr 23, 2007, 11:50 AM
Alright, that's it. I declare a moratorium on death for the next week. So if you're thinking of dying, wait a few days.

Analog Kid
Apr 23, 2007, 02:40 PM
It'll be interesting to see how history judges this man. On the one hand he did as much as one man can do to dismantle an empire capable of immense evil. On the other he sold off all the states most lucrative assetts to his cronies whilst some citizens starved.
The Russians revere Yeltsin, and most dislike Gorbachev... They remember Gorby for the years when the shelves were empty, and Yeltsin for turning that around.

There's no doubt that Yeltsin loved his country. He was a brave and daring individual-- he was also politically clever. My memories of his time in power were of endless upheavals in his government, but I'm learning now that much of that was calculated as he kept trying Prime Ministers until he found the one that he wanted to succeed him-- Putin. Seemed a good choice at the time, but even Yeltsin was expressing doubt recently.

Perhaps he tried to do too much too quickly. Perhaps there was no other way... Russia has a long and tumultuous history. I hope they get their feet back under them before totalitarianism returns.

RonPrice
Apr 30, 2007, 11:50 AM
LOUGH OF DESPOND

As I was retiring from full-time teaching and settling into George Town Tasmania in 1999, Boris Yeltsin(1931-2007) sent Russian troops into Kosovo and the then breakaway region of Chechnya in Russia. Teltsin had been instrumental in engineering the final collapse of the Soviet Union and state communism in the late 1980s and early 1990s. In August 1991 he rallied his country against an attempt at a coup. This coup had been aimed at reestablishing state communism. His was one of the key political pushes in Russia to establish democracy in that country. He had made a stunning debut as the Russian President. He possessed a confessional edge no previous President had possessed. This was reflected in his memoir which appeared in 1994 and it was entitled The Struggle For Russia. I had just begun to work on the second edition of my own memoir in 1994 which was becoming increasingly confessional as the editions appeared in my computer.

In my last years as a teacher, 1991 to 1999, and in Yelstin’s years as President in those same years of 1991 to 1999, he presided over a chaotic Russia, over his own chaotic behaviour, his own depressions, his alcohol problem and the 75th anniversary of Lenin’s death(1924-1999). In 1991 Yeltsin declared the Soviet Union extinct; in 1993 he banned the Russian parliament and the Communist Party. During all of this time the Arc Project of the Baha’i community proceeded apace in Haifa Israel on Mt. Carmel. -Ron Price with thanks to “FoxNews.Com Home>World and Associated Press,” 23 April 2007.

That 4 year plan1 was ending when
you resigned back in ’99, Boris and
we were developing our resources
after 80 years of the unveiling of
those Tablets during the Great War.2

The unfolding magnificence of the
Terraces was capturing attention as
a galvanic coherence was beginning
at last in expansion, consolidation,
in vision and activity, unbeknownst.

It was a festive moment in those years
with their chronology of expectations
ending with the completion of that Arc.
I’m sorry you missed it all, dear Boris,
as tangled fears seized helpless millions
and your time was ending in that slough
of despond, phantoms of a wrongly
informed imagination and those troubled
forecasts of doom which seem to have
been around all my life and yours, Boris.

1 1996-2000
2 Tablets of the Divine Plan unveiled in New York in 1919.

Ron Price 28 April 2007
In celebration of the 9th Day of Ridván BE 164.