PDA

View Full Version : iBook power problems

jmufellow
Apr 23, 2007, 12:05 PM
I recently bought a new Macally AC power adapter for my iBook because the crappy apple one broke. Whenever the adapter is plugged in, my iBook keeps cycling between the AC power and the battery power, thus causing the screen to go light, then dark, then light, then dark... It gets really annoying. It's as if I was constantly pulling out the plug and putting it back in every couple of seconds. The adapter does eventually charge the battery, but is there anything I can do about it? Does anyone else have this issue? I searched but couldn't find anything. Thanks in advance.

alexprice
Apr 23, 2007, 12:09 PM
I recently bought a new Macally AC power adapter for my iBook because the crappy apple one broke. Whenever the adapter is plugged in, my iBook keeps cycling between the AC power and the battery power, thus causing the screen to go light, then dark, then light, then dark... It gets really annoying. It's as if I was constantly pulling out the plug and putting it back in every couple of seconds. The adapter does eventually charge the battery, but is there anything I can do about it? Does anyone else have this issue? I searched but couldn't find anything. Thanks in advance.

Apple PSU's are not crappy!

You should reset the PMU first. Which iBook do you have?

What happened to the old PSU. Has this new PSU every worked?

jmufellow
Apr 23, 2007, 12:20 PM
Apple PSU's are not crappy!

You should reset the PMU first. Which iBook do you have?

What happened to the old PSU. Has this new PSU every worked?I beg to differ regarding the quality of Apple PSU's. Check out all the negative feedback about them on Apple's page: http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore?productLearnMore=M8943LL/A

The old one ended up shorting out in the cord right where it connects to the computer. The new PSU that I'm currently using has always done this when the battery was low but recently it got worse.

I will try and reset the PMU. Thanks for the suggestion. Hopefully resetting it will fix my problems.

alexprice
Apr 23, 2007, 12:27 PM
I also beg to differ on that subject. All those people were annoyed at Apple because their cables had broken. Cables don't break by themselves. I do however think they're a little bit too expensive. But thats Apple.

Hope the PMU reset works.

mkrishnan
Apr 23, 2007, 12:30 PM
The other time this happens is if the pin on the power supply cable is slightly bent, so that it goes into the side of the iBook but does not seat firmly. Good luck!

(My own unnecessary opinion is that the yo-yo iBook power supplies are scary bad, but the white brick ones with the cute little feet that fold out as a cable tray is actually quite nice.)

jmufellow
Apr 23, 2007, 12:32 PM
I did reset the PMU, but still same problem. I went ahead and adjusted my settings so the screen would not dim when it switches to battery power, so that helps a little, but it still does not fix the fact that there is a small lag in power for a split second when it switches between battery and AC. Any more suggestions helpful.

alexprice
Apr 23, 2007, 12:36 PM
Perhaps the DC in board is a little funky. You need to try another PSU on it. Take it to an AASP or Apple Store to get it checked.

Frankf300
Apr 23, 2007, 12:44 PM
Perhaps the DC in board is a little funky. You need to try another PSU on it. Take it to an AASP or Apple Store to get it checked.

That's the lines I was thinking along also. I had a somewhat similar problem with my iBook G3. I have to find the sweet spot where the charger makes contact and begins to charge. I live with it only because it was out of warranty so Apple gave me a price of $300 for parts and labor on a DC in board. You'll have to try it out with another charger also to make certain it's something with the iBook.

spjonesi
Apr 23, 2007, 01:08 PM
I have the exact same issue after a replacement adapter from apple for my iBook G4 (which broke due to me) and after my HDD replacement. I guess I FUBAR'd something, but it still works ok. The display backlight doesn't sleep anymore when the lid gets closed...it goes out, then comes back on (with no picture)

I am living with it until updated MBPs are out. I may try to replace the DC board myself though (as I have had it apart already for the HDD replacement). I'll go have a look at iFixit.com and see what they cost. The replacement is kind of a PITA, so unless you are brave or have somebody to help, I don't recommend it.

spjonesi