PDA

View Full Version : April 23, 1983: Even an Improved Apple III Can't Overcome t...

MacBytes
Apr 23, 2007, 12:32 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: History
Link: April 23, 1983: Even an Improved Apple III Can't Overcome the Reputation (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20070423133239)
Description:: none

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

ppc_michael
Apr 23, 2007, 01:00 PM
I remember my elementary school had an Apple /// in the library. I used to play Word Munchers on there.

Clive At Five
Apr 23, 2007, 02:21 PM
I find it amusing that the Apple][ series outlived the Apple /// "series" by a good 8 years before it finally died.

@PPC_Michael: I played Number Munchers on the ][gs in my school's library. I guess I'm just a young'n... ;)

-Clive

steve_hill4
Apr 23, 2007, 02:43 PM
I find it amusing that the Apple][ series outlived the Apple /// "series" by a good 8 years before it finally died.

@PPC_Michael: I played Number Munchers on the ][gs in my school's library. I guess I'm just a young'n... ;)

-Clive

Still doesn't hold true to the prophecy "Apple ][ Forever". Remember that in the early days the profits from the Apple ][ were funding the Macintosh project and poor sales.

It's quite sad in a way that pretty much all generations from 10 years ago onwards will never have known the experience of growing up at a school that had a command line based computer in it.

piltupso
Apr 23, 2007, 02:49 PM
I had one of these in the house while I was growing up. I can't remember any problems with it , maybe it was an Apple ///+. It sounds funny now I was so proud it had 128k RAM, if I remember correctly. I also can't believe how long I spent on playing text based games on that monochrome screen. Kids will be kids I guess.

Clive At Five
Apr 23, 2007, 03:03 PM
Still doesn't hold true to the prophecy "Apple ][ Forever". Remember that in the early days the profits from the Apple ][ were funding the Macintosh project and poor sales.

It's quite sad in a way that pretty much all generations from 10 years ago onwards will never have known the experience of growing up at a school that had a command line based computer in it.

Dude, I love DOS. It's the best. People watching me do stuff in DOS think I'm an evil genius.

-Clive

yadmonkey
Apr 23, 2007, 03:06 PM
Whatever... I'm waiting for the Apple 4 before I buy...

Clive At Five
Apr 23, 2007, 03:18 PM

HAH!

Don't you mean "AppleBook4?"

Remember, you need to fit Apple's naming scheme: Product Line - Product Type - Product Class ... AND you have to mash up as many hard consonants together as possible.

-Clive

MacSween
Apr 23, 2007, 03:49 PM
I seem to remember that the Apple III was the first attempt at Apple to have the chips inserted by machine vs by hand (could be wrong there but I think that is right). What I remember is that some of the pins did not insert correctly and would actually curl back. The chips had enough contact to pass the QA process but when they were shipped the vibration during shipping would cause some of the pins to lose contact. Many of the first shipments suffered from this problem and the techs were told to use the drop technique to reseat the chips. This was to be a temporary fix until new chips were ship to the dealer.

As far as early Mac sales, the original 128K Mac just did not have enough memory. Folks that had been using the Lisa were not willing to step down to 128K. In October 1984 the 512k Mac was released with better success.

steve_hill4
Apr 23, 2007, 04:47 PM

Drool, quad core 6502, each core running at 4MHz. Just imagine what you could do with that....:rolleyes:

SkyBell
Apr 23, 2007, 04:59 PM

Well our music teachers in elementary school weren't exactly provided with the best equipment, so I got to tinker with a lot of Power Mac 5500's and a few IIe's and IIc's.

I loved using the IIe's and IIc's (Because lets face it; OS 8 sucks) The green monochrome screens...they were cool. :)