PDA

View Full Version : Collection of computers

andypress
Jun 19, 2003, 03:58 PM
For those of you who live in buffalo ny, you might have heard about kensington high school and how its closing. Heres the problem- They're getting rid of ALL the old macs which range from an apple ][ to an 8100 tower. Theres probaly hundreds of lc's. I don't know which ones i should take- otherwise they're all going to be trashed. Theres only so much room in a car. Can you reccomend which ones I should grab? So far I'm thinking about a 7100/66av, six 6100/66 a WGS 80, and the list goes on.

janey
Jun 19, 2003, 04:23 PM
AWESOME!!!
TAKE AS MUCH AS YOU CAN!!! :p

andypress
Jun 19, 2003, 04:29 PM
Anything that we can't take like the big lc575, i'll probaly pull the ram and hard drives out of. This school district is one of the ones that is huge and had problem keeping track of everything. Too bad I cant walk out with the g4 server. Which of the older ones should I take? They has a mac classic, but theres so much that its hard to see everthing. (ROOMFULLS)

Daveman Deluxe
Jun 20, 2003, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by andypress
Anything that we can't take like the big lc575, i'll probaly pull the ram and hard drives out of. This school district is one of the ones that is huge and had problem keeping track of everything. Too bad I cant walk out with the g4 server. Which of the older ones should I take? They has a mac classic, but theres so much that its hard to see everthing. (ROOMFULLS)

I would rent a U-Haul or something. Seriously. You can sell that stuff on eBay and make a sweet profit off of it.

applemacdude
Jun 21, 2003, 12:18 AM
Instructions: Rent a U-Haul. Get all the macs u can fit in the U-Haul and sell em on ebay. Or make a Mac couch with 'em.

Daveman Deluxe
Jun 21, 2003, 12:59 AM
Originally posted by applemacdude
Instructions: Rent a U-Haul. Get all the macs u can fit in the U-Haul and sell em on ebay. Or make a Mac couch with 'em.

That's what I said. Anyway, I would love to buy a Mac 128k/512k/Plus (in decreasing order of preference) to make a fish tank out of. It would be especially wicked-cool if you or somebody you know can disassemble it for me.

I'd disassemble it myself, but I'm VERY squeamish about discharging the flyback transformer. I've already almost killed one iMac by misplacing the AirPort antenna when I removed it to put in my iBook... well, with the flyback transformer, the stakes are MUCH higher.

Anyway, do me a favor and let me know if you can do that for me.

PowerBook User
Jun 21, 2003, 01:23 AM
Those sound like good choices. Note that the Power Mac 6100's and Performa 61xx require a special video adapter if they do not have an AV card in them. I think the Power Mac 6100 was the only Power Mac with an optional CD drive. :rolleyes: The LC I, II, and III probably aren't really worth much, but they're small. I would try to get any of these: Apple II, II+, and IIC+. These are the rarer ones, as are the Apple III and III+. http://www.apple-history.com has specs for all Apple computers ever made.

VIREBEL661
Jun 21, 2003, 02:24 AM
He mentioned an 8100... An awesome candidate for upgrades... If you have any 9XXX around, grab those... They have pretty powerful processors in them (604's), great for internet and stuff.. ALSO, very upgradeable, processor wise etc... I would probably take the best example of each.. Don't know what the hell I'd do with all of them, though!:)

VIREBEL661
Jun 21, 2003, 02:26 AM
OH NO... A scary thought.... What are they REPLACING all of those old Mac's with???? Hopefully NEW MACS, right???:confused:

andypress
Jun 21, 2003, 06:47 PM
To VIREBEL661 the school is closing. Well we went there, and we didnt take a uhaul. Alll the computers that we couldn't take, we pretty much took the ram and hard drives and batteries out of. I ended up with 6 6100's, 7100/66av and one WGS 80.

blakespot
Jun 25, 2003, 12:11 AM