PDA

View Full Version : iPod Software 2.0.1!!!

Mal
Jun 19, 2003, 04:29 PM
It's here!

iPod Software 2.0.1

What's new in this version:
Better support for Asian languages
Enhanced On-The-Go playlist functionality
Improved playback performance
Improved handling of mp3 VBR songs
Fixed artist sorting
Improved backlight
Improved alarm clock
Fixed left/right channel swapping

Product Description:
The update command downloads new software to an iPod. The update command may be disabled if the iPod does not need to be updated because it already has up-to-date software. The restore command returns an iPod to 'factory fresh' condition. It erases and reformats the iPod before downloading new software. WARNING: The restore command erases all of the music and other data currently on the iPod.

(Info from VersionTracker)

JW

benjaminpg
Jun 19, 2003, 04:53 PM
I'm happy to say that the little click between songs is now gone, and the sorting of artists now ignores the "the" at the beginning of some artists names. These are both two little pet peeves of mine. Other than that, I haven't noticed any differences.

Very nice little maintenance upgrade. I had no problems installing, just pressed update, and it worked.

Mal
Jun 19, 2003, 05:00 PM
Yeah, I posted before I downloaded it fully, but I have to say it worked great. Much faster than the old iPod's updaters worked, and fixed many problems. Notice the left/right switching is gone? Yep, and the click, and now it's easy to clear your On-The-Fly playlists. Now if they'll only get around to letting us record. :D

JW

EDIT: BTW, anyone want to try to figure out what they mean when they say they updated the backlight functionality? :confused:

erik1975
Jun 19, 2003, 05:10 PM
hmmmm, the record feature is not in the diagnostic test menu anymore. I wonder if the actal feature will com in update 2.0.2???

jimthorn
Jun 19, 2003, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by benjaminpg
I'm happy to say that the little click between songs is now gone

Woo-hoo! That's been driving a lot of people crazy. And as someone who's going to get my first iPod in the next week or two, I'm happy to hear that it's fixed.

zer0army
Jun 19, 2003, 05:27 PM
Perfect, I’m finally getting my 15 gig iPod tomorrow. I’m glad I wont have to experience those “little clicks” I have read so much about.

grimmwerks
Jun 19, 2003, 05:28 PM
Well, is there any update for the older ipods? Has anyone tried to run 2.0 on them?

SoonToGetAMac
Jun 19, 2003, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by grimmwerks
Well, is there any update for the older ipods? Has anyone tried to run 2.0 on them? Nope, 2.0 doesn't work on the non-3rd Gen iPods. I think 1.3 is the last update for 1st, 2nd Generation 'Pods.

chicagdan
Jun 19, 2003, 05:34 PM
Why is it that, even though I have a new four-button iPod, updater 2.0.1 doesn't show up in Mac update, but that annoying 1.3 update is there and won't go away?

5thorseman
Jun 19, 2003, 05:35 PM
I don't see any increased on-the-go playlist functionality, nevermind backlight functionality...

"Clear" was there before the update, wasn't it?

What extra functionality has been added?

//5th

icetraxxg5
Jun 19, 2003, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by 5thorseman
I don't see any increased on-the-go playlist functionality, nevermind backlight functionality...

//5th

Clear?
And I don't see the update yet either...

evilfunkgenius
Jun 19, 2003, 05:40 PM
This makes me very, very, very angry.

Why won't they release updated software for us older iPod users? Why won't they even TELL us that they are (or are not) releasing said software!? How hard can it be to code up some changes for the older hardware???

Thank you for letting me vent.

AppleMatt
Jun 19, 2003, 05:42 PM
Why are there 2 negatives and only 1 positive for this thread?

This update has added the most requested feature, dynamic playlists, and its solved the most complained about bug, clicking.

If its iPod 1 users, please get over it, product redundancy is part of electronics. Also have you proof that Apple can physically make the new features work on old iPods?

AppleMatt

thePfhitz
Jun 19, 2003, 05:45 PM

//5th

Now when you add songs to the on-the-go playlist as it's playing, it'll see that you've added new songs to it and will play those as it gets to them... before, you had to stop and restart the on-the-go playlist for it to recognize that you've added new songs to it.

5thorseman
Jun 19, 2003, 05:48 PM
Cheers thepfhitz

//5th

by "Clear" i meant "Clear Playlist" in the on-the-go playlist

Jimmni
Jun 19, 2003, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by AppleMatt
Why are there 2 negatives and only 1 positive for this thread?

This update has added the most requested feature, dynamic playlists, and its solved the most complained about bug, clicking.

If its iPod 1 users, please get over it, product redundancy is part of electronics. Also have you proof that Apple can physically make the new features work on old iPods?

AppleMatt

It's not that much to ask when you've spent £350 on something less than six months old. I can understand them wanting to keep some of the features as exclusives for the new iPods, but on-the-go playlists are long overdue even for us old iPod users. This is Microsoft style behaviour.

- Jimmni :(

icetraxxg5
Jun 19, 2003, 05:53 PM
Just installed it; really cool installer.

Has anyone noticed anymore changes that 2.01 brought? ;)

AppleMatt
Jun 19, 2003, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by Jimmni
It's not that much to ask when you've spent £350 on something less than six months old. I can understand them wanting to keep some of the features as exclusives for the new iPods, but on-the-go playlists are long overdue even for us old iPod users. This is Microsoft style behaviour.

- Jimmni :(

I agree there are many features that Apple could add to the old software, and I hope that they do when the new iPod buying has died down (for the record, I do not own an iPod). I also think some of the fetures would not be possible. It's just frustrating to see the same posts in almost all iPod related threads, people on Mac discussion boards are more aware than anyone else about the situation.

AppleMatt

icetraxxg5
Jun 19, 2003, 06:01 PM
I have decided that I really love my new iPod :D

Kinda off topic, but, does anyone know a good pair of earbuds or lightweight headphones that will work well with the (3Gen) iPod? I lost my Apple earbuds today :( (not like they were that great)

Thanks

chicagdan
Jun 19, 2003, 06:04 PM
Kinda off topic, but, does anyone know a good pair of earbuds or lightweight headphones that will work well with the (3Gen) iPod? I lost my Apple earbuds today (not like they were that great)

I just bought a pair of $40 earbuds at the Sony store on Michigan Ave (same block as the amazing new Apple Store opening in 8 days, including an Internet cafe!)

Anyway, I'm not sure what model number these are, but they sound great, much better fit than the Apple stock buds (they come with three different sizes of earbud caps) plus the bass is significantly better. And they block out more noise of the world ... which is why we buy iPods anyway, right?

buseman
Jun 19, 2003, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by evilfunkgenius
Why won't they release updated software for us older iPod users?

Whats wrong with the 1.3 version?

I have a 5 GB model that I bought 18 months ago and its as good as ever. Great battery life and no bloat ;)

Foucault
Jun 19, 2003, 06:15 PM
I just downloaded it and placed it on my 30GB iPod, and I don't notice any major enhancements at all. this was a very minor update. I am still very happy with my iPod (affectionately nicknamed Zion). Zion

icetraxxg5
Jun 19, 2003, 06:15 PM
Can you get the part# for me for those sony earbuds? that would be great if you could.

Thanks

adamberti
Jun 19, 2003, 06:17 PM
Well, first thing I did was check the calendars, and they load MUCH quicker. It used to take a good 5-10 seconds when I loaded All, but I tried after the update, and it seems a lot quicker to navigate through and load. Now off to check the notes...

AppleMatt
Jun 19, 2003, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by icetraxxg5
Kinda off topic, but, does anyone know a good pair of earbuds or lightweight headphones that will work well with the (3Gen) iPod?

I have loads of ear-bud headphones, and without a doubt these are the best I have listened to:

Sony MDR-EX71SL (http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_DisplayProductInformation-Start;sid=IpEXQ8ZZGlgXQ_irYYgdSIlVzzhfU98RJ3A=?CatalogCategoryID=3P0KC0%2eNIGwAAAD1FKwpDdUY&ProductID=u00KC0%2eNSO0AAAD14fApDdUc&Dept=pa)

If you want better sound than those can provide you will need cans and you will be spending a lot more money, IMO.

AppleMatt

matthewjacob
Jun 19, 2003, 06:31 PM
I have decided that I really love my new iPod :D

Kinda off topic, but, does anyone know a good pair of earbuds or lightweight headphones that will work well with the (3Gen) iPod? I lost my Apple earbuds today :( (not like they were that great)

Thanks

The Sony MDR-E888 ($79.99) are excellent earbuds, but a little uncomfortable. Almost as good are the Sony MDR-EX71 ($49.99) and they're alot more comfortable. They are both even avalible in a style that has a much shorter cord and works well with the iPod remote. You can get the short cord style at Minidisco.com:

http://www.minidisco.com/mics-headphones-headphones.html

Look for the models with the SP or SL at the end of the model no. for the short cord style.

swahilibill
Jun 19, 2003, 06:41 PM
anyone else noticed that when you plug the ipod in it mounts faster than it did before. I plugged it in, and 1-2 second i say it on my desktop...maybe its just me...

STOP BITCHING ABOUT THE 2.0 SOFTWARE FOR OLDER IPODS...

evilfunkgenius
Jun 19, 2003, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by buseman

It doesn't include notes, ratings, or customizable playlists.

evilfunkgenius
Jun 19, 2003, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by swahilibill
STOP BITCHING ABOUT THE 2.0 SOFTWARE FOR OLDER IPODS...

not until they release the new version. so petition with me and we will all shut up.

swahilibill
Jun 19, 2003, 06:45 PM
not until they release the new version. so petition with me and we will all shut up.

you know, thats pretty spoiled, its called upgrades, a better system. When I bought my iMac G4 last year, and then the 17" came out, I didnt bitch like a little baby to upgrade my 1 month old 15" for free! Get over it...

Tha_Sylent1
Jun 19, 2003, 06:49 PM
Umm how come I'm not showing an update for iPod when I run Software Update?

mkaake
Jun 19, 2003, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by buseman

I have a 5 GB model that I bought 18 months ago and its as good as ever. Great battery life and no bloat ;)

bravo! you're the first gen1 or gen2 owner that i've heard speak up and say that 'hey! this ipod that i've bragged to everyone about owning? i don't hate it because after i bought it, a better one came out!!'

glad to hear the clicking is gone - that would have kept me from getting a gen3 all out - the gen 2's are getting pretty cheap (well, i guess that's relative).

oh, and again, 3400 sigs won't do it. stop asking. 34,000 wouldn't do it. 340,000 wouldn't do it, and I think we're all tired of hearing about how the old ipods now suck because you can't update your software, when you're not even sure if the hardware is capable.

matt

Laslo Panaflex
Jun 19, 2003, 06:55 PM
For all the people that are complaining about the old iPods not having the same functions as the new ones, join my petition for a free upgrade for my 1991 honda accord becuase the 2003 accord has better features.:)

Ja Di ksw
Jun 19, 2003, 07:01 PM
Many people here are talking about how older iPod users should just deal with it, and have made references such as not getting a new free computer or car when those are upgraded. Those things aren't software. The older iPod users aren't saying they should get a free 30 gb iPod because they're 5 gb iPod is outdated. They just want the software. Considering both have the same number of buttons and a scrollwheel, I don't know why its so hard to do it, or why apple is just refusing to. Older iPod users still won't have the larger HD, touch sensitive scroll wheel, sleeker, lighter, smaller iPod, backlights on the keys, better backlight on the screen (?), etc, etc.

So, why won't apple do it, and why are the new iPod users all getting so mad?

AppleMatt
Jun 19, 2003, 07:05 PM
Because there is no proof that the new iPod is inherintly different in design that prevents Apple doing it. I believe this is most likely the case.

Look how massive this software upgrade was, and how small the old ones were.

I also believe that this topic should NOT be discussed to death on every iPod thread. This thread is about the update for the new iPods, what it fixes, what people notice, any new bugs.

AppleMatt

macrumors12345
Jun 19, 2003, 07:11 PM
Why won't they release updated software for us older iPod users?

For the same reason that Apple no longer releases updates for OS 9 and Microsoft no longer releases updates for Win95 - it has been superceded by a newer model.

I think it is perfectly reasonable for Apple to stop releasing updates at this point for the older models, unless any major new bugs are revealed (unlikely). They already have more functionality than when you bought them, so what is the big complaint? It's not as if Apple ever promised they would release a productivity suite or a 3-D rendering package that would run on the 1G iPod - they've already given you more than they advertised!

If you are so worried about things you own becoming obsolescent, you shouldn't be buying technology products...

deepkid
Jun 19, 2003, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by chicagdan
I just bought a pair of $40 earbuds at the Sony store on Michigan Ave (same block as the amazing new Apple Store opening in 8 days, including an Internet cafe!)

Anyway, I'm not sure what model number these are, but they sound great, much better fit than the Apple stock buds (they come with three different sizes of earbud caps) plus the bass is significantly better. And they block out more noise of the world ... which is why we buy iPods anyway, right?

I bought my noise-cancelling earbuds from the same store, not long ago.

They are great for blocking out excessive siren noise, loud commuters and engine noises.

MDR-EX-51

Only complaint is that they roll off too much upper midrange; kick drums and audio in that range is dampened to accomodate the low frequencies.

They are MUCH better than the ones provided by Apple, who needs to realize that not everyone wants to shove saucers in their ears to listen to music.

losfp
Jun 19, 2003, 07:13 PM
Has anyone noticed if it's fixed the order the on-the-go albums turn up in?

ie: if you add a whole album to an OTG playlist it will order the songs in order they were added to the iPod, not the track number order.

dammit. I have to wait till I get home from work to download and test it ;)

Laslo Panaflex
Jun 19, 2003, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by macrumors12345
If you are so worried about things you own becoming obsolescent, you shouldn't be buying technology products...

Exactly, also why would apple want to allow new features to be in older iPods, people would just buy the older ones, they can do the same things, only they are less expensive and a little larger in physical size.

Well enough of that, the update worked great for me and the clicking is gone, haven't played with it much to notice a speed boost in other areas. All in all pretty stoked on the update.

KershMan
Jun 19, 2003, 07:22 PM
you know, thats pretty spoiled, its called upgrades, a better system. When I bought my iMac G4 last year, and then the 17" came out, I didnt bitch like a little baby to upgrade my 1 month old 15" for free! Get over it...

No, but you would be upset if 10.3 did not work on it. All we are asking for is the SOFTWARE. I don't think that is too much to ask for.

CheekyGit
Jun 19, 2003, 07:23 PM
I had a problem with my 30GB iPod with the lock icon wouldn't go away. I accidently left the iPod locked while I was listening to it one night. I feel asleep and realized the lock button was engaged. I didn't have it plugged in to AC power or into my laptop. I tried sliding the lock switch to unlock and it didn't work. I wrestled it with it for 3 weeks trying to fix it.

I was planning to call Apple support tomorrow to call in the problem because I'm on vacation and I finally have some time to concentrate on it. Well, I saw the 2.0.1 Update notice on here today and decided to give it a whirl in hopes that it would fix my problem. Low and behold, after applying the update, the lock icon finally disappeared and its working like a champ. Funny, the description of the update didn't mention any fix for this.

Oh well, I'm happy and I can rest easy now.

CheekyGit :D

dth21
Jun 19, 2003, 07:26 PM

In 2.0, if you were in the middle of an on-the-go playlist and you added additional songs, the iPod wouldn't recognize the new additions.

The increased functionality of 2.0.1 does this.

Also, Clear was indeed present in the last version.

Vlade
Jun 19, 2003, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by chicagdan
Why is it that, even though I have a new four-button iPod, updater 2.0.1 doesn't show up in Mac update, but that annoying 1.3 update is there and won't go away?

Go to Update-Make Inactive, or command -

macrumors12345
Jun 19, 2003, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by Ja Di ksw
They just want the software. Considering both have the same number of buttons and a scrollwheel, I don't know why its so hard to do it, or why apple is just refusing to.

Excellent point. And in the same spirit, I would like to add that considering that both the current PowerMac and the old Mac SE I owned years ago have a keyboard with the same number of keys and a mouse with the same number of buttons, I don't know why its so hard to port Mac OS X to run on the SE, or why Apple is just refusing to do it.

Give me a break - this is like complaining that Microsoft doesn't release big updates for Word 98 after Word v.X came out, or that Adobe no longer releases major updates for Photoshop 6 now that Photoshop 7 is out. If Apple had not released AAC capability for the 1G/2G iPods, *then* I could see being pissed off, but they *did* release AAC support. Of course, if you had bought an iPod competitor, e.g. Creative Nomad Jukebox instead, you would *still* be waiting for a firmware update that gives you AAC support...

ZildjianKX
Jun 19, 2003, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by KershMan
No, but you would be upset if 10.3 did not work on it. All we are asking for is the SOFTWARE. I don't think that is too much to ask for.

I agree with you. The irony is half of the 3rd gen ipod owners that are bitching about the gen 1 & 2 bitching will be bitching themselves when apple refuses to update the 3rd gen ipods when the 4th gen comes out :)

sith33
Jun 19, 2003, 07:41 PM

It's more analagous to the situation if (this is hypothetical) 10.3 were to require a ppc970 to run. I wouldn't be demanding that apple make it run on my g4, because I understand that there are differences between the g4 and the 970 at a lower level than just the bloody shape of the case. The 3g ipod is not just a 2g ipod in a different case. What you're asking for is for apple to develop a new OS for the 1/2g ipods. If that's the case, fine, ask all you want. But you people who act like apple is just withholding it in some sort of trick to get you to buy a new one are just plain off base. Maybe if you were to say "hey apple, we'll each pay you $20 in exchange for adding all these new features to our old hardware" ... then maybe. But whining about apple supposedly screwing you over is just wrong...

mkubal
Jun 19, 2003, 08:08 PM
This is so unbelievably absurd that this gen 3,2,1 iPod software situation is turning into some kind of class warefare. This may not be the case, but if you gen 3 guys read your posts you sound like a bunch of stuck up rich people who are talking down to the peons who have no right to request those things that you have.

Please understand try to understand this and stop relating this to buying cars because it is in no way analagous to the iPod software situatuation

If you bought a powermac 6 moths ago (about how long ago i got my 10 gig) you would expect apple to continue updating software for it for atleast a couple years after your purchase if not longer. Realize that 10.2 even works on original iMacs despite their age.

If Apple only allowed 10.3 to work on new computers, but didn't allow it to work on older computers just because they didn't feel like writing the software despite the fact that the hardware would support it, you would all be pretty pissed I think.

And that's all we're really asking for. If it IS POSSIBLE with the old hardware they should eventually make the software for older iPods. Not right away. Let them use it as a selling point for right now. But I want it EVENTUALLY.

You all need to stop it with this snotty attitude. I don't know where it came from, but it makes you look childish. For christ sake listen to yourselves

(P.S. I will gouge my eyes out if one more person tries to relate this to buying a car. )

(P.S.S Ask yourself this question: Why do I want so badly for gen 1,2 iPod owners not to have the new software? Seriously)

Matt

daveg
Jun 19, 2003, 08:15 PM
I've got a pair of Sennheiser earbuds, model MX-500. They're cheap (under $20), and probably not audiophile quality. But I don't usually engage my audiophile critical listening sensors when I'm out on the street; I save that for when I get home, and the nice speakers I blew way too much money on. The sennheisers do give better sound than the iPod earbuds, and they're not so expensive that I cringe to go out with them.

I also found this (http://www.anandtech.com/audio/showdoc.html?i=1827) review/dissection of the new iPod. Of interest, from the sixth page of the review:

The first thing you have to keep in mind (and we'll confirm this when we take the unit apart later in the review) is that the new iPod has no more memory and has a processor virtually identical to that of the old iPod. Any software that can run on the old iPod should have no problem running on the new one. With that said, it doesn't make sense for Apple to release the new firmware for the old iPod as it could potentially reduce the number of iPod upgraders out there.

...not that I want to see this flame/argument go on much more...

WM.
Jun 19, 2003, 08:17 PM
Considering both have the same number of buttons and a scrollwheel, I don't know why its so hard to do it, or why apple is just refusing to.

My Performa 6115CD has a keyboard and a mouse, just like my iMac. Why can't I run Jaguar on it?

My mom's '96 Civic hatchback has four tires and a steering wheel, just like the new Civic Si's. Why won't Honda upgrade her engine to the new 160-hp one?

You think that similarity of exterior features means that the interiors are the same? The two Eras of iPod(tm) do seem to use ROUGHLY the same CPU, but they're not identical, and certainly the rest of the mobos have almost nothing in common. Check out the review of the 3G iPod at Anandtech--it's pretty obvious that everything else on the PCB has changed significantly.

Look, we have no proof that it would be impossible to run iPod SW 2.0 on the 1G and 2G iPods. But more importantly, we have no proof that it would be possible either. Apple is under no obligation to provide everyone free upgrades for everything forever. It seems to me that there's probably enough hardware difference between the two flavors of iPod to mean that it would take a significant amount of developer effort to run iPod SW 2.0 on the old ones, if it's even possible.

(Whoa, I just noticed that macrumors12345 posted almost exactly the same thing! I swear, I typed all this without looking at his post...)

mkaake is totally right. It just isn't going to happen.* So GIVE UP ALREADY!!! Stop demanding that people sign some idiotic petition that won't work anyway. Stop hijacking threads about the new iPods with rants about your old ones and how Apple doesn't love you anymore. As someone else pointed out, Apple's already given you more functionality than you paid for, and fixed the outstanding bugs AFAIK.

Thank you. I hope this wasn't too redundant.

WM

*I suppose it's possible. But if it does happen, it probably won't be because all of you bitched for all you were worth. Perhaps someone will point to the MDD PS replacement thing as a precedent, but I think that's different. That would be like if the batteries in the iPods blew up after a few months of use--it's a quality issue, not a functionality issue.

pope
Jun 19, 2003, 08:21 PM

Didn't your 1 month old 15" run the same software as the new model? And everytime Apple upgraded the software for the new machines, weren't you included in that? Could you imagine if you buy a Mac and the only OS that worked on it was the one you bought with the machine! I'm not asking for a new iPod, just update the software. They could sell it for $10.

Alexander
Jun 19, 2003, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by AppleMatt
I have loads of ear-bud headphones, and without a doubt these are the best I have listened to:

Sony MDR-EX71SL (http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_DisplayProductInformation-Start;sid=IpEXQ8ZZGlgXQ_irYYgdSIlVzzhfU98RJ3A=?CatalogCategoryID=3P0KC0%2eNIGwAAAD1FKwpDdUY&ProductID=u00KC0%2eNSO0AAAD14fApDdUc&Dept=pa)

If you want better sound than those can provide you will need cans and you will be spending a lot more money, IMO.

AppleMatt

I take it you've never had the opportunity to listen to the Etymotic ER-4Ps? (Admittedly, they are about $270, but you get what you pay for ;) ) I hear the new ER-6's are good too, and they're about half the price.

I find that level of outside noise suppression to be a little disconcerting; you simply can't hear if someone's talking to you, etc. The only public situation where I use them is on planes. Otherwise, I quite like the Apple earbuds, but I do have a big head. ;)

Regarding the "updated backlight functionality" bit, a while ago, my backlight simply stopped working. I couldn't get it to come on in any way, and was convinced it was physically broken somehow. Since I was literally about a minute away from the Apple Store at the time, I popped over, but just as I got there, the guy was turning the lock in the door. :( Anyway, by the time they opened the next day, the backlight macgically started working again, and has ever since. So, maybe they fixed this relatively obscure bug?

Alex

apgalbraith
Jun 19, 2003, 08:33 PM

I just bought a pair of Sennheiser PX100s to replace the iPod earbuds, and I love them - the sound quality is amazing from headphones as light and small as these. They also come with a cool carrying case. You can read more about them here:

http://www.headphone.com/layout.php?topicID=3&subTopicID=26&productID=0020080010

headphone.com is a great resource for headphone information. (standard disclaimer: just a satisfied customer, etc.). I bought some Grado SR60s there a few months ago - if you're looking for something a bit less portable with absolutely incredible sound, without spending huge amounts of money, check these out.

In terms of other lightweight headphones, I know some people who swear by the Koss PortaPros (also available from headphone.com), but I find them a bit muddy sounding.

Good to hear about the update - I'm downloading it as soon as I get home from work!

WM.
Jun 19, 2003, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by mkubal
This is so unbelievably absurd that this gen 3,2,1 iPod software situation is turning into some kind of class warefare. This may not be the case, but if you gen 3 guys read your posts you sound like a bunch of stuck up rich people who are talking down to the peons who have no right to request those things that you have.
I don't have an iPod. I know you weren't responding to me, but I just wanted to make that clear.

Please understand try to understand this and stop relating this to buying cars because it is in no way analagous to the iPod software situatuation

If you bought a powermac 6 moths ago (about how long ago i got my 10 gig) you would expect apple to continue updating software for it for atleast a couple years after your purchase if not longer. Realize that 10.2 even works on original iMacs despite their age.

If Apple only allowed 10.3 to work on new computers, but didn't allow it to work on older computers just because they didn't feel like writing the software despite the fact that the hardware would support it, you would all be pretty pissed I think.
Well, I think this analogy isn't quite as strong as you'd like. IMHO, it all comes down to expectations. When you buy a computer, you expect that you'll get OS updates for free for maybe a year, and upgrades for some fee for maybe the next five years (+/- a couple years).

On the other hand, when you buy a self-contained consumer electronics device, it's different. Whether it's an MP3 player or a wireless base station, I think the expectation is that you'll get firmware updates to fix bugs and perhaps ensure compliance with new standards, but not give you new functionality for free. Certainly, AFAIK, Creative isn't providing firmware updates for Nomads to give them new functionality.

And that's all we're really asking for. If it IS POSSIBLE with the old hardware they should eventually make the software for older iPods. Not right away. Let them use it as a selling point for right now. But I want it EVENTUALLY.

You all need to stop it with this snotty attitude. I don't know where it came from, but it makes you look childish. For christ sake listen to yourselves

(P.S. I will gouge my eyes out if one more person tries to relate this to buying a car. )
Damn, then I think I pushed you over the edge!

(P.S.S Ask yourself this question: Why do I want so badly for gen 1,2 iPod owners not to have the new software? Seriously)
You mean P.P.S., BTW. Anyway, it's not that I don't want them to have it, it's that they keep bitching and hijacking threads about bugfixes that I want to find out about. And it's that I don't think it's possible for them to have the new software. I may be proven wrong, but I doubt it.

WM

WM.
Jun 19, 2003, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by daveg

I also found this (http://www.anandtech.com/audio/showdoc.html?i=1827) review/dissection of the new iPod. Of interest, from the sixth page of the review:

[stuff about how it should be possible to run 2.0 on old iPods]
But just look at the motherboards! Look how different they are! I think it's pretty obvious that the hardware underwent a radical redesign.

I've seen it mentioned that Apple outsourced the design of (parts of) the original iPod to another company, just as they did with the original ABS's, while the new ones are entirely in-house. Perhaps there are licensing/royalty/IP/whatever issues as well?

WM

jxyama
Jun 19, 2003, 09:01 PM
my $0.02... the ipod updater never showed up the system upgrader. so i'd suggest just going to the main apple site and download it. (then you get the annoying message that we should be using system upgrader next time! i think the same thing happened for safari..?)

anyway, about 2.0 on 1/2 G ipod... i think 3G owners are quite right in complaining about every ipod related threads being hijacked... i think the point was made and i hope something will be done for 1/2 G ipod users. it does seem not that hard for some of those functionality to be ported to 1/2 G ipods... but it's about time 1/2 G owners stick to the topic...

Wombatronic
Jun 19, 2003, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by Alexander
I take it you've never had the opportunity to listen to the Etymotic ER-4Ps? (Admittedly, they are about $270, but you get what you pay for ;) ) I hear the new ER-6's are good too, and they're about half the price.
Alex

Most people probably don't want these. They are certainly not earbuds (they are "in canal" headphones; basically hearing aids with a line in :)

I have a pair of the ER-6s and while they do sound good:

1. They "rustle" if you move the wire around at all.
2. Your ears get sore after a while
3. It is a bother to pop them in and out.
4. You *will* get hit by a car if you walk around with them in. :)

Anyhow, good if you are looking for something for a flight/train, less good for jogging/strolling.

jxyama
Jun 19, 2003, 09:19 PM
forgot...

i think korean and both traditional and simplified chinese support were added in this update. before, i believe, only japanese was supported.

mkubal
Jun 19, 2003, 09:40 PM
WM.-

I understand where you're coming from. I wouldn't have even posted if I hadn't seen these same arguements against giving 2.0 to older iPod users. It's just that some of the things said aren't even in the realm of being semi-analogous to the situation.

I don't agree with hostile petitions and constant whining. I haven't read all of these iPod threads but I'm sure it gets horribly annoying. All I can say is that, in my opinion, if it is possible to make the new software I would like to have it at some point. If it's not possible, I'll live. If they just decide not to update it that's fine as well. It won't matter that much to me. I'll still use my iPod all the time. My life will move on.

I think what would solve all of these problems would be if Apple would simply exaplain what they intend to do. That is, wether or not they plan on making the software or if it is even possible for that matter. If they just said what their plans are, that would be the end of the thread hijacking for the most part.

You can't blame a person for wanting better software, but I guess you can blame them for being annoying.

Matt

Mr. MacPhisto
Jun 19, 2003, 09:44 PM
Many people here are talking about how older iPod users should just deal with it, and have made references such as not getting a new free computer or car when those are upgraded. Those things aren't software. The older iPod users aren't saying they should get a free 30 gb iPod because they're 5 gb iPod is outdated. They just want the software. Considering both have the same number of buttons and a scrollwheel, I don't know why its so hard to do it, or why apple is just refusing to. Older iPod users still won't have the larger HD, touch sensitive scroll wheel, sleeker, lighter, smaller iPod, backlights on the keys, better backlight on the screen (?), etc, etc.

So, why won't apple do it, and why are the new iPod users all getting so mad?

Because, if Apple updates the old iPods then that'll take away software advantages of the new ones. My bet is that Apple wants all stock on the old iPods to clear out - and will wait for eBay selling and what not to die done on the old ones before they give them the new software features. Why? Because they want to entice people to buy the new ones. Once the old ones become harder to find on the open market (and I see them at Target and Best Buy still), they'll update. Apple likely feels a software update now would hinder sales of the new iPods. I think you'll get updated when the new iPods are further down the road. Maybe by Christmas.

ZildjianKX
Jun 19, 2003, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by Mr. MacPhisto
Because, if Apple updates the old iPods then that'll take away software advantages of the new ones. My bet is that Apple wants all stock on the old iPods to clear out - and will wait for eBay selling and what not to die done on the old ones before they give them the new software features. Why? Because they want to entice people to buy the new ones. Once the old ones become harder to find on the open market (and I see them at Target and Best Buy still), they'll update. Apple likely feels a software update now would hinder sales of the new iPods. I think you'll get updated when the new iPods are further down the road. Maybe by Christmas.

You're probably right. And firmware 2.0 won't run on the first generation ipods obviously since they don't have clock chips... but they are obviously flash upgradeable so most of the features should be able to be implimented.

evilfunkgenius
Jun 19, 2003, 09:51 PM
After reading all the responses I got for expressing my frustration, I apologise for starting an off-topic, flame-war.

That said, I do have a few comments:

1. The iPod is hardware and I am not asking for an upgrade to my hardware. In fact, I much prefer my 20gb iPod's buttons and design.

2. The original iPod firmware was made to be upgradeable. Therefore, I do not feel it is above and beyond to ask for upgrades (for at least as long as the warrantee lasts).

3. All three Apple base stations have very different hardware and yet Apple seems to make all of them work just fine with equivalent software upgrades. What is so special about the classic iPods which makes them so difficult to update?

4. A lot of the grumbling going on around message boards right now could be solved if Apple would just say "Yes, we are making an update for previous iPod owners, and it will be done..." or "No, there will be no further firmware upgrades for the older iPods, because..." My statement was meant to be pointed more at that than anything else.

LinuxGigolo
Jun 19, 2003, 09:52 PM

HA HA HA HA. (That was my exact response to that when I read it). Good point. I'd love to see how people feel if, say, they bought a 17" PowerBook the day before Panther came out... and it wasn't supported by Panther. Jaguar would run fine... and Apple would even release a 10.2.7 update just to make them feel specialer (and give them... say... 1 new feature... or better yet... cripple the Apple Menu some more), but it could never run Panther. That's probably how some people feel if they bought their iPod a few months ago and now it suddenly can't support the latest OS...and Updater 1.3 added a stupid backlight thing to the main menu to uglify it.

On another note... I'd be willing to pay for an updater that would update my 10 gigger with more of the new features (and get rid of the freakin' backlight in the main menu option). Not $299, $399, or $499... but $25? $50? I'm sure quite a few people would do the same. If it's not a hardware issue, Apple should really capitalize on that... sell the updater if you're not gonna give it away.

h'biki
Jun 19, 2003, 09:59 PM
Well, i updated my iPod. the updater crash but not until after my iPod was updated.

my calendar no longer uses bolds and other stylish things. its pure plain text.

however, it loads instantly now which is great cause i have a HUGE calendar and it was my pet peeve of the new iPod.

so yeah, me happy (and no click)

eboychik
Jun 19, 2003, 10:07 PM
I have a pair of the ER-6s and while they do sound good:

1. They "rustle" if you move the wire around at all.

I have a pair of the 4s and the 6s, and there is a way to get rid of the cord microphonics (the annoying thumping sound). Look up Dr. Xin Feng's excellent website. He's in the Sacramento area, and he modifies the ER headphones, moving some parts and changing the cord to remove the rustling problem. He actually makes the ERs sound better /

Also, he will make the cord any length you wish, and gives you a choice of L shaped or straight plugs. And finally, he has an off-white cord that is not as whitey-white as the one that comes with the iPod, but it's close enough to allow you to fly your iPod colors, so to speak.

murderofcrows
Jun 19, 2003, 10:12 PM
hello,
i have the new 15gb ipod which i have had for 3 weeks now. ever since i have had it i have noticed that if i don't use the ipod for awhile (and when not using it i always keep the lock on) it often won't resume from sleep. this will happen whether i hold the play button for 5 seconds to put it to sleep or let itself 'time out' to sleep. when i say 'often', i think it won't resume from sleep more often than it will. the only way i can get it to turn on is by doing a force reset (which other than taking time is also annoying because i lose all of my settings) or by plugging it into my ibook.
anyway - i've been meaning to do a search on applecare et al or ring the store that sold it to me to see if i am doing something wrong or if it is a faulty ipod but since i saw this thread i thought i would post here to see if anyone else is expereincing this problem and if so how it can be solved.
i am at work at the moment so haven't had a chance to apply this update.
regards.

rjstanford
Jun 19, 2003, 10:13 PM
2. The original iPod firmware was made to be upgradeable. Therefore, I do not feel it is above and beyond to ask for upgrades (for at least as long as the warrantee lasts).And, so far at least, haven't firmware upgrades come out to address outstanding bugs and strategic support issues (such as AAC) pretty well?

Moving on from there, has anyone noticed that this is getting a pretty big splash on the main page of apple.com? In fact, its getting the box that used to detail the 12/15 inch powerbook price cuts. The 12/15 inch G4 powerbooks, that is. The ones that aren't front-page news any more. Just like there's no mention of any current hardware on the front page any more.

Maybe a coincidence, but I at least found it interesting...

-Richard

bertagert
Jun 19, 2003, 10:15 PM
Ok, did we clear up the 2.01 features not working on older ipods? If not, someone who has an older ipod please call Apple and find out exactly why they can't add the play que, a few games and notes stuff. Until then, lets keep this thread on topic.

Not having clicks between songs is a big plus! The on-the-go playlist no works like expected.

The only thing I don't get is the back-light update. Mine looks the same. Is there something I should be looking for?

nilepoc
Jun 19, 2003, 10:21 PM
I have to say, that the most notable improvement, is that the calendar is infinately more usable. It is what I would call snappy compared to the one of old.

I did however have a problem with the upgrade, my sync went from sync all, to sync selected, with none selected. A minor anoyance, but it confused me for a bit, I actually hought I had erased my ical.

Anyway, happy with the update. Thanks for the heads up.

alia
Jun 19, 2003, 10:37 PM
I updated without any problems.

I was hoping when they said "Backlight updates," they meant that the backlight no longer turns off while you are using it when you turn it on by holding down the menu key. I guess that's not the case though, since mine still does that. I find it kind of annoying, but oh well.

Other than that minor quibble, I love my ipod. :)

Also, haven't heard a click or had a channel change since, so yay!

Alia

LimeiBook86
Jun 19, 2003, 10:39 PM
This makes me very, very, very angry.

Why won't they release updated software for us older iPod users? Why won't they even TELL us that they are (or are not) releasing said software!? How hard can it be to code up some changes for the older hardware???

Thank you for letting me vent.

I totaly agree! My iPod was less than 5 months old when It was replaces by teh newer models...I'm mad but my iPod is doing fine. I wish I hadnew features though...not making software for less than a year old products does not make any sense to me...

h'biki
Jun 19, 2003, 11:29 PM
take your pick:

iPod 1st/2nd gen running something approaching 2.0

or the 970s and the portable user data (probably running off the iPod).

cause i'm pretty sure WWDC is going to explain what apple's been working on :)

Rower_CPU
Jun 20, 2003, 12:15 AM
3. All three Apple base stations have very different hardware and yet Apple seems to make all of them work just fine with equivalent software upgrades. What is so special about the classic iPods which makes them so difficult to update?

That's not really accurate. The software you run from your Mac talks to all 3, but the firmware updates for each base station are very different. Once the 2nd gen (Snow) base stations came out the 1st gen (Graphite) BSs stopped getting firmware updates. Same thing with the AEBS.

Different versions of BSs, different firmware. Same as the iPod.

I have a 5GB iPod and could care less about playing Parachute. ;)

zac4mac
Jun 20, 2003, 12:15 AM
I got 2.0.1 to run on my old 5Gb by accident. Had to erase and start over, back on 1.3 now. The new 15Gb likes 2.0.1tho.
Can't believe Apple actually leaked the new specs. or were they hacked?

AppleMatt
Jun 20, 2003, 05:57 AM
Originally posted by Alexander

I haven't indeed, and at that price I think it's going to be a while before I do! :P. I would like some (really) high-end buds, but I can't justify it after buying PowerBooks almost every update and insisting on adding bits and bobs to the main Hi-Fi.

Originally posted by CheekyGit
I had a problem with my 30GB iPod with the lock icon wouldn't go away. I accidently left the iPod locked while I was listening to it one night. I feel asleep and realized the lock button was engaged. I didn't have it plugged in to AC power or into my laptop. I tried sliding the lock switch to unlock and it didn't work. I wrestled it with it for 3 weeks trying to fix it.

God that would drive me crazy. I probably would smash the screen. But then that's just me. :rolleyes:

No. As far as I know, the basestations upgrade the WaveLAN card's firmware, not Apple's actual hardware. Also there are different firmware files within the Airport Admin Utility, open it up and take a look.

AppleMatt

edit: sorry Rower_CPU just saw your post

juniormaj
Jun 20, 2003, 07:53 AM
Originally posted by murderofcrows
hello,
i have the new 15gb ipod which i have had for 3 weeks now. ever since i have had it i have noticed that if i don't use the ipod for awhile (and when not using it i always keep the lock on) it often won't resume from sleep. this will happen whether i hold the play button for 5 seconds to put it to sleep or let itself 'time out' to sleep. when i say 'often', i think it won't resume from sleep more often than it will. the only way i can get it to turn on is by doing a force reset (which other than taking time is also annoying because i lose all of my settings) or by plugging it into my ibook.
anyway - i've been meaning to do a search on applecare et al or ring the store that sold it to me to see if i am doing something wrong or if it is a faulty ipod but since i saw this thread i thought i would post here to see if anyone else is expereincing this problem and if so how it can be solved.
regards.
I've been having the exact same problems with my new 10GB model. I've never had this problem with my old 5GB or my old 20GB.
I looked through applecare and couldn't find any documents about it.
I also haven't had the chance to upgrade to 2.0.1 yet, but I hope it fixes it.

somecows
Jun 20, 2003, 01:45 PM
When you run the new update does it delete all the songs and stuff you have on the ipod?

Jimmni
Jun 20, 2003, 01:55 PM

That is so not the same. We're not talking about major costly hardware upgrades. We're talking about a gesture by offering a software upgrade for a premium priced product. Hell, I'd *pay* for an upgrade, just for on-the-go playlists. That's easily worth $10 to me. And anyway, what's wrong with saying what we want? Apple sure as hell won't do it, free or not, if we're all here saying "Nah, we don't care about an upgrade. We'll pay another $400 for a better system", We're not unhappy with what we have, we're just hoping for that something more. Why is that such a bad thing?

That's a very ungenerous attitude you have there. I will not "get over it".

- Jimmni :mad:

bertagert
Jun 20, 2003, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by somecows
When you run the new update does it delete all the songs and stuff you have on the ipod?

Nope! Everything stays in tacked...songs/playlist/settings. Everything works a ok!

somecows
Jun 20, 2003, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by bertagert
Nope! Everything stays in tacked...songs/playlist/settings. Everything works a ok!

so what does this mean:

"Product Description:
The update command downloads new software to an iPod. The update command may be disabled if the iPod does not need to be updated because it already has up-to-date software. The restore command returns an iPod to 'factory fresh' condition. It erases and reformats the iPod before downloading new software. WARNING: The restore command erases all of the music and other data currently on the iPod."

sorry, im dumb.

icetraxxg5
Jun 20, 2003, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by somecows
so what does this mean:

"Product Description:
The update command downloads new software to an iPod. The update command may be disabled if the iPod does not need to be updated because it already has up-to-date software. The restore command returns an iPod to 'factory fresh' condition. It erases and reformats the iPod before downloading new software. WARNING: The restore command erases all of the music and other data currently on the iPod."

sorry, im dumb.

It means when you download the software update for the iPod and use the iPod 2.0 updater it gives you two options: you can update the iPod's software to 2.0.1 (and leaves all your music/settings intact) or you can restore your iPod to 2.0.1 which makes the iPod factory fresh and erases all your music and settings.

Can we please keep this thread on topic! It would be awesome if I could read others experiences with the iPod 2.0.1 software instead of wasting my time sifting through all the junk replys about people whining that their old iPod can't take the newer software; Please, STOP whining.

bertagert
Jun 20, 2003, 05:27 PM
Hey icetraxxg5, why don't you first take a chill then realize that somecows post has nothing to do with old ipods.

somecows -

Basically when you open the updater, you have two options.

1. Update to new software.
2. Restore to factory settings.

So, if you downlaod the new updater and install it and launch it and you have version 2.0 and the version you just downloaded is 2.01, the update button will be enabled. If you have 2.01 Installed and you download 2.01, the update button will be disabled (you won't even be able to update it) and your only option is to restore. Which there is no reason to do because your up to date on software releases.

If you do an update, it will not erase your songs, settings, etc. If you do a restore, your songs, settings, etc. will be eraased.

The moral of the story: If you want to keep all your soft on your ipod, update it. If you want a frsh install, do a restore. Hope that helps.

shadowfax
Jun 20, 2003, 06:54 PM
OK, after a day with this software, it's an utter Godsend. that popping/cracking noise beetween tracks was drinving me out of my mind like mad. that's gone. beautiful. that would have been enough. the other feature that i like is the alarm clock. now when you set it, you can turn it off, and it makes a decent beep (not loud enough to wak a heavy sleeper but OK) and then starts playing music when the alarm goes off. these are really the only problems i had noticed, other than a sluggish interface at times, which still happens a bit, but not as bad. i haven't had a chance to mess with the on-the-go playlist feature either.

icetraxxg5
Jun 20, 2003, 08:02 PM
no, no...
I was talking about the people that keep hijacking every new iPod thread about how the new 2.0 software doesn't work with their older iPods... I wasn't referring to what somecows said.

Ja Di ksw
Jun 20, 2003, 08:40 PM
Mr. MacPhisto, thanks for answering my posts. Good to hear some logic behind it. I had thought that it might hinder sales of the new iPods, but figured that their size dif (5 gb vs 30 gb) would keep that from happening too much. I like the idea of just waiting for the old inventory to go. Anyway, just wanted to say thanks, far too many people are too concerned with insulting people who don't already think they same way they do, instead of just answering questions.

Again, I'm not b****ing about not having the software so much as asking why they aren't doing it, though I know saying that still won't stop some people from insulting me, and others who ask.

madforrit
Jun 21, 2003, 04:46 AM
Originally posted by murderofcrows
hello,
regards.

Exact same problem with my 15gig. I am installing the update now and will see if it fixes it...
otherwise i'm going to have to head down to the apple store...

gotohamish
Jun 21, 2003, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by zac4mac
I got 2.0.1 to run on my old 5Gb by accident. Had to erase and start over, back on 1.3 now. The new 15Gb likes 2.0.1tho.
Can't believe Apple actually leaked the new specs. or were they hacked?

So you installed it, but then what? What made you go back to the 1.3 version?

H:confused:

murderofcrows
Jun 21, 2003, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by madforrit
Exact same problem with my 15gig. I am installing the update now and will see if it fixes it...
otherwise i'm going to have to head down to the apple store...

i finally got to download the update last night and it seems to have fixed it. i have tested it 3 times so far and it's worked everytime.
cool mc gool i am so happy now.

TheT
Jun 22, 2003, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by bertagert
The only thing I don't get is the back-light update. Mine looks the same. Is there something I should be looking for?
Okay, since nobody got that one here, I'll explain it to you... I had a thread about that one a while ago, but nobody knew what was going on :D
The 2.0 software had a bug that when you'd turn the iPod off (hold Play/Pause for a couple of seconds) and back on immediately, the backlight would not work. This bug is now fixed :)

ant
Jun 22, 2003, 05:14 PM
So this is just a little message, to set the record straight.
The only technical aspect of the new iPods that is different from the original iPod, is the backlighting system on the buttons + the LCD. All the electronic components are virtually the same and the 2.0.1 firmware is based on 1.3 standard.

The appalling decision not to continue support for the previous iPod shows Apple's gratitude to those who made the iPod what is it is today.

So to all of those who have a new iPod and think that the users who want improved software are simply whinning, I hope your 3rd Gen iPod gets scratched.javascript: smilie(':mad:')

Secondly those who show their ignorance by comparing a Mac SE to a G4 - well I have nothing to say really.

macrumors12345
Jun 22, 2003, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by ant
The appalling decision not to continue support for the previous iPod shows Apple's gratitude to those who made the iPod what is it is today.

So go buy a Creative Nomad Jukebox instead if you think Apple is screwing over its users. Oh, wait, that's right, if you had bought that MP3 player instead you will STILL be waiting for them to release a firmware update so that you could play AAC encoded files. Good thing you got the iPod instead, huh?

The point is, Apple has done more than its competitors to provide you with critical and important firmware updates. Could they do more? Sure. But the general market thinks that they are already providing more updates than they need to (since they are still being more responsive than their competitors), so don't expect anything to happen in the near future. Welcome to capitalism.

jxyama
Jun 22, 2003, 06:28 PM
someone on /. mentioned that apple had out-sourced the firmware development for 1/2 G iPods but opted to develop their own for the 3G. i don't know the accuracy of this information, but if such is the case, it now makes sense why:

1) 3G firmware in its initial release (2.0) had some noticeable problems as it was apple's first attempt.

and

2) 1/2 G firmwares aren't updated to the same degree as 2.0 as apple would have to ask the outside developers to update them.

just my $0.02.

shadowfax
Jun 22, 2003, 06:29 PM
seriously, apple has not utterly pulled support for the old iPods. they let them run AAC.

apple has no obligations to add features to the old iPods. anyone who is bitching about a feature we got as new buyers that you don't have can go sit on your hand. no one adds new features to old stuff. that removes the incentive to buy the new! apple sold you an iPod with the features it had, and you paid. you can't complain that they came out with something better that you have to pay more money for! that happens ALL THE TIME. it's the way of the computer world.

that said, this update is a fix to problems with basic stuff on our new iPods. my iPod was making skipping noise between every song. i didn't pay $500 for an audio player to skip like a record player. it fixed a feature called alarm clock--that was on these iPods before, an advertised feature, that did not work. they didn't add unadvertised functionality, they fixed advertised functionality. if you guys are having some tech issues with your old iPods that is a sofware issue that can't be fixed by a reset/restore, you should contact apple. but none of this complaining about how you can't do games on it. or what ever feature on the new ones you don't have on the old. that's not "pulling support," it's "not adding functionality"/"adding a reason for you to get the new iPod."

buseman
Jun 22, 2003, 07:08 PM
Where does it say that you will get a featureset on par with eventual new models? Be happy you got full AAC support and stop whining.

As for why they haven't implemented the new features, I'm leaning towards the fact that it is a technical issue. As an example, try resetting the old iPods and the clock and everything will be reset. Not so with the new models. They probably lack the memory the new models hold, and maintaining three generations would be no small feet indeed. Also notice that the new firmware is no less than 30MB, where the old firmwares never were larger than around 5MB.

Le Big Mac
Jun 23, 2003, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by Shadowfax

apple has no obligations to add features to the old iPods. anyone who is bitching about a feature we got as new buyers that you don't have can go sit on your hand. no one adds new features to old stuff.

Sure they do. If apple abandons every product as soon as the next generation comes out, why should I bother with their products?

No, of course I don't expect them to have all the whiz-bang features of the new product, but Apple would seriously piss off a lot of people if, for example, Panther didn't work on G4s and faster G3s.

ipoxy
Aug 12, 2003, 11:26 AM
I am the owner of a first generation g4 dual and also the new g4 dual. Many years seperates them now. But I still can use osx on both. Even if the new G5 is out with panther.... and panther will run on my G4 duals :rolleyes:. What i mean is that Gen2 ipod users deserve to have the 2.0 working on their ipods also. Maybe not the 1st gen but at least the 2nd. Another exemple... I bought a Kodak digital camera last year, even if the new models are out the software updates work on both new and old. Same for my umax scanner or Microsoft mouse etc... Stop comparing cars and tires. It only make sens that Apple support at least 2nd generation ipod users. Look at other comments above about the features... not that much more isn't it? So, 2nd Gen ipods should be able to support it. Ok maybe not... but Please Apple tell us if it is not !!!!!

Sorry for my bad english BTW!!!:D