Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mal

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
It's here!

iPod Software 2.0.1

What's new in this version:
Better support for Asian languages
Enhanced On-The-Go playlist functionality
Improved playback performance
Improved handling of mp3 VBR songs
Fixed artist sorting
Improved backlight
Improved alarm clock
Fixed left/right channel swapping

Product Description:
The update command downloads new software to an iPod. The update command may be disabled if the iPod does not need to be updated because it already has up-to-date software. The restore command returns an iPod to 'factory fresh' condition. It erases and reformats the iPod before downloading new software. WARNING: The restore command erases all of the music and other data currently on the iPod.

(Info from VersionTracker)

JW

benjaminpg

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2002
Salt Lake City, UT
I'm happy to say that the little click between songs is now gone, and the sorting of artists now ignores the "the" at the beginning of some artists names. These are both two little pet peeves of mine. Other than that, I haven't noticed any differences.

Very nice little maintenance upgrade. I had no problems installing, just pressed update, and it worked.

Mal

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
Yeah, I posted before I downloaded it fully, but I have to say it worked great. Much faster than the old iPod's updaters worked, and fixed many problems. Notice the left/right switching is gone? Yep, and the click, and now it's easy to clear your On-The-Fly playlists. Now if they'll only get around to letting us record. :D

JW

EDIT: BTW, anyone want to try to figure out what they mean when they say they updated the backlight functionality? :confused:

erik1975

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2002
Illinois
hmmmm, the record feature is not in the diagnostic test menu anymore. I wonder if the actal feature will com in update 2.0.2???

jimthorn

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2003
Huntington Beach, CA, USA
Originally posted by benjaminpg
I'm happy to say that the little click between songs is now gone

Woo-hoo! That's been driving a lot of people crazy. And as someone who's going to get my first iPod in the next week or two, I'm happy to hear that it's fixed.

zer0army

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2003
Toronto
Perfect, I’m finally getting my 15 gig iPod tomorrow. I’m glad I wont have to experience those “little clicks” I have read so much about.

SoonToGetAMac

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2003
California
Re: older ipods?

Originally posted by grimmwerks
Well, is there any update for the older ipods? Has anyone tried to run 2.0 on them?
Nope, 2.0 doesn't work on the non-3rd Gen iPods. I think 1.3 is the last update for 1st, 2nd Generation 'Pods.

chicagdan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2002
Chicago, IL
Why is it that, even though I have a new four-button iPod, updater 2.0.1 doesn't show up in Mac update, but that annoying 1.3 update is there and won't go away?

5thorseman

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2003
Bristol England
Hmmm

I don't see any increased on-the-go playlist functionality, nevermind backlight functionality...

"Clear" was there before the update, wasn't it?

What extra functionality has been added?

//5th

icetraxxg5

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2002
Commerce Township
Re: Hmmm

Originally posted by 5thorseman
I don't see any increased on-the-go playlist functionality, nevermind backlight functionality...

//5th

Clear?
And I don't see the update yet either...

E

evilfunkgenius

This makes me very, very, very angry.

Why won't they release updated software for us older iPod users? Why won't they even TELL us that they are (or are not) releasing said software!? How hard can it be to code up some changes for the older hardware???

Thank you for letting me vent.

AppleMatt

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2003
UK
Why are there 2 negatives and only 1 positive for this thread?

This update has added the most requested feature, dynamic playlists, and its solved the most complained about bug, clicking.

If its iPod 1 users, please get over it, product redundancy is part of electronics. Also have you proof that Apple can physically make the new features work on old iPods?

AppleMatt

thePfhitz

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2001
Re: Hmmm

Originally posted by 5thorseman

//5th

Now when you add songs to the on-the-go playlist as it's playing, it'll see that you've added new songs to it and will play those as it gets to them... before, you had to stop and restart the on-the-go playlist for it to recognize that you've added new songs to it.

Jimmni

macrumors member
May 1, 2003
Originally posted by AppleMatt
Why are there 2 negatives and only 1 positive for this thread?

This update has added the most requested feature, dynamic playlists, and its solved the most complained about bug, clicking.

If its iPod 1 users, please get over it, product redundancy is part of electronics. Also have you proof that Apple can physically make the new features work on old iPods?

AppleMatt

It's not that much to ask when you've spent £350 on something less than six months old. I can understand them wanting to keep some of the features as exclusives for the new iPods, but on-the-go playlists are long overdue even for us old iPod users. This is Microsoft style behaviour.

- Jimmni :(

AppleMatt

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2003
UK
Originally posted by Jimmni
It's not that much to ask when you've spent £350 on something less than six months old. I can understand them wanting to keep some of the features as exclusives for the new iPods, but on-the-go playlists are long overdue even for us old iPod users. This is Microsoft style behaviour.

- Jimmni :(

I agree there are many features that Apple could add to the old software, and I hope that they do when the new iPod buying has died down (for the record, I do not own an iPod). I also think some of the fetures would not be possible. It's just frustrating to see the same posts in almost all iPod related threads, people on Mac discussion boards are more aware than anyone else about the situation.

AppleMatt

icetraxxg5

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2002
Commerce Township
I have decided that I really love my new iPod :D

Kinda off topic, but, does anyone know a good pair of earbuds or lightweight headphones that will work well with the (3Gen) iPod? I lost my Apple earbuds today :( (not like they were that great)

Thanks

chicagdan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2002
Chicago, IL
Kinda off topic, but, does anyone know a good pair of earbuds or lightweight headphones that will work well with the (3Gen) iPod? I lost my Apple earbuds today (not like they were that great)

I just bought a pair of $40 earbuds at the Sony store on Michigan Ave (same block as the amazing new Apple Store opening in 8 days, including an Internet cafe!)

Anyway, I'm not sure what model number these are, but they sound great, much better fit than the Apple stock buds (they come with three different sizes of earbud caps) plus the bass is significantly better. And they block out more noise of the world ... which is why we buy iPods anyway, right?

buseman

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2002
Originally posted by evilfunkgenius
Why won't they release updated software for us older iPod users?

Whats wrong with the 1.3 version?

I have a 5 GB model that I bought 18 months ago and its as good as ever. Great battery life and no bloat ;)

Foucault

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2002
Pasadena, CA
I just downloaded it and placed it on my 30GB iPod, and I don't notice any major enhancements at all. this was a very minor update. I am still very happy with my iPod (affectionately nicknamed Zion). Zion

adamberti

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2003
Well, first thing I did was check the calendars, and they load MUCH quicker. It used to take a good 5-10 seconds when I loaded All, but I tried after the update, and it seems a lot quicker to navigate through and load. Now off to check the notes...

AppleMatt

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2003
UK
Originally posted by icetraxxg5
Kinda off topic, but, does anyone know a good pair of earbuds or lightweight headphones that will work well with the (3Gen) iPod?

I have loads of ear-bud headphones, and without a doubt these are the best I have listened to:

Sony MDR-EX71SL

If you want better sound than those can provide you will need cans and you will be spending a lot more money, IMO.

AppleMatt

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.