Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ashokformac

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 26, 2007
I am developing a software in java 1.6 on mac os X ....
I also required some of the functionalities in java 1.6 ...

Now i want to install my java application on other mac os X(around 150) systems where only java 1.4 is installed ....

How can i do this ......

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
Apple hasn't released Java 1.6 as a non beta version for OS X yet, Java 1.6 was only released by Sun in October, so I suggest you remove the features that require Java 1.6 for now.

Java 1.5 requires Tiger, so only Java 1.4 will work on computers with Panther unfortunately.

Otherwise if you really need features in Java 1.6 and they are running Tiger then give them a link to the download site for it (I don't know this off hand), you could make a test for the OS version when the program loads, use System.getProperty() to do this...

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
I am developing a software in java 1.6 on mac os X ....
I also required some of the functionalities in java 1.6 ...

Now i want to install my java application on other mac os X(around 150) systems where only java 1.4 is installed ....

How can i do this ......

Purely stated, I don't think you can, if you use java 1.6 features, and want java 1.4 users to use those 1.6 features, they'd have to upgrade (which there isn't one available yet) to java 1.6. So either you'll have to find a work around and make your own functionalities, or wait till 1.6 comes out

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.