Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jayeskreezy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 3, 2005
I have FCE and I'm putting together a lil vid and I wanted to add a sparkle/glint when someone smiles like the old school toothpaste commercials...anyone have any ideas?

ppc_michael

Apr 26, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
I'm sure you could just make the little starburst in Photoshop, set it to an additive blend, and keyframe animate it with the motion tab.

Or also, if you have Motion there's probably exactly what you're looking for in the particle library.

jayeskreezy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 3, 2005
I'm sure you could just make the little starburst in Photoshop, set it to an additive blend, and keyframe animate it with the motion tab.

Or also, if you have Motion there's probably exactly what you're looking for in the particle library.

yeah, I dont have motion...I guess I should get FCP one day for that...hmm i'll try the additive blend thing...do I need to have diff layers and animate it in FCE or photoshop?

ppc_michael

Apr 26, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Yeah, just make a still image in Photoshop, like how you want the twinkle to look, white twinkle on a black background, or just save it as a transparent PNG with an alpha channel. Then put it as a new layer in Final Cut with the additive blend, and scale / rotate it or whatever animation you need in Final Cut.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I would-

Photoshop a sparkle, send it into FC then just give it a quick fade in and slow fade out, rotation on the spot. Obviously with the composite set to something nice.

But don't just listen to me, I'm new to all this myself!

faustfire

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
California
Record the sound effect from those "dirty mouth" orbit gum commercials.

Also, I would scale your photoshop sparkle up from zero and then back down to zero with a little rotation on it. Don't dissolve it in, wont look right.:)

jayeskreezy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 3, 2005
I would-

Photoshop a sparkle, send it into FC then just give it a quick fade in and slow fade out, rotation on the spot. Obviously with the composite set to something nice.

But don't just listen to me, I'm new to all this myself!

can you tell me what it means to set the composite to something nice? What is the composite?

I created the sparkle in photoshop and saved it on a black background, but how do I get rid of the black around it in FCE?

I just want the sparkle to show and not the black. I'm pretty new to doing these things in FCE so please be patient

ppc_michael

Apr 26, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Setting the "composite" is what I was talking about too, which is what you need to do to get rid of the black background.

Drag your sparkle image into the timeline, then right-click it. In the context menu, go to Composite Mode > Screen. Or Add. Or some kind of compositing/blending mode that will take out your black.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.