Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

AfterCollege.com is advertising a job for a Senior iPhone Support Representative for Apple, Inc. in Austin, TX.

The full time position requires applications by no later than May, as training classes begin that month.

The Sr. iPhone Support Representative is responsible for answering questions for Apple customers and partners. Viewed as an escalation point, the candidate should be able to provide prompt, reliable, and accurate information to customers while maintaining effective communications during conversations by adjusting to the pace and technical level of the customer.

Duties listed include handling escalated questions on both hardware and software issues as well as doing troubleshooting for GPRS/EDGE, Wi-Fi and Bluetooth wireless technologies.

Apple's job site also lists similar offers for iPhone service representatives.

As an iPhone Sales & Service Representative, you’re at the core of the customer’s experience. This newly created position (like a true pioneer) will fuel the iPhone revolution!

Apple's iPhone is expected to be released in "late June" according to the latest reports. Clearly, Apple is going to need support staff in place at time of launch and is making preparations.

koobcamuk

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
Customer support for a phone is very different than for a computer. Good luck Apple...

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
That rep may not be answering very much software questions.... what software is there besides iCal, Address Book, and the basic stuff that's been in OS X for 7+ years. If iCal crashes on my iPhone I am sending it back. :mad:

lazyrighteye

Contributor
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO
Preferred Qualifications Windows-centric?

Huh.
Of the 13 items under the 'Preferred Qualifications' list, 6 are Windows-specific while none of them are Mac-specific. Does anyone else find that interesting?

• Experience with Microsoft applications such as Office or Outlook
• Ability to navigate in the Windows environment – such as getting basic system information, explorer navigation
• Knowledge of program files and system files in Windows
• Experience with troubleshooting external devices in Windows
• Basic installation and removal of application in Windows.
• Experience with iTunes in Windows

And why would experience with Office or Outlook be required?
Hmmm...

With this position responsible, in theory, for customer support for both Apple AND at&t... I don't know, just has 'scape goat' written all over it should the fit hit the shan.

Project

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2005
Huh.
Of the 13 items under the 'Preferred Qualifications' list, 6 are Windows-specific while none of them are Mac-specific. Does anyone else find that interesting?

• Ability to navigate in the Windows environment – such as getting basic system information, explorer navigation

Hmmm...

With this position responsible, in theory, for customer support for both Apple AND at&t... I don't know, just has 'scape goat' written all over it should the fit hit the shan.

Well the iphone (like the iPod) will basically be a Windows business. 95% of buyers will be using Windows.

lazyrighteye

Contributor
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO
Well the iphone (like the iPod) will basically be a Windows business. 95% of buyers will be using Windows.

Good point.
I guess I was more commenting on why would a Sr. iPhone Supprot Rep need to be comfy in something like Office and Outlook?
It's not like those apps will run on an iPhone, right??

Project

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2005
Well one can only presume that the call centre will be using Windows.

Though knowledge would be needed anyway, as there is an Outlook sync option in the iPod for contacts and calendar data, which I presume is extended further in the iPhone.

SeaFox

macrumors 68030
Jul 22, 2003
Somewhere Else
Hmmm...

Well, the iPhone working with OSX desktops will be a "plug and play" experience. I mean, wouldn't iSync do everything for you pretty much?

It's getting stuff to sync on the Windows side thats going to be the hard part. The iPhone will be have to interface with MS Outlook and other files on the PC. Apple doesn't need to hire iPhone reps who are familiar with Macs! They can just recruit people from the general OSX support ranks to be trained on the iPhone. But I doubt Apple has a huge number of Windows tech support personnel. :rolleyes:

lazyrighteye

Contributor
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO
While I knew it would be available to those running Windows, I guess I hadn't considered that the iPhone would also be supporting Windows-based apps. Weird.

Just figured Apple's approach was more the 'sure, it'll talk to your Windows machine. But for all the seamless integration, you'll need a Mac' approach.

Thanks all.

BlakTornado

Apr 24, 2007
Washington, OH
well, it's incredibly possible that the iPhone could have Office on it - after all, it has other apps like iCal and safari. The iPhone is just a tiny consumer computer with the ability to make calls. Why not include office with it? This could be one of the things that makes people buy it - a PDA-like functionality.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
well i'm glad that they are hiring more people for the iPhone.....i just wish they could have hired more people instead of taking people away from Leopard

livingitlive

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2007
The other iPhone

Err Guys (n Gals) -- Cisco's Linksys division is based in Austin.... This could be for the other iPhone.

noriyori

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2006
Huh.

Hmmm...

uhhh yep. hopefully MSoffice support on the iphone.
check yesterdays rumor about AT&T targeting business customers:
https://www.macrumors.com/2007/04/23/atandt-to-target-iphone-to-business-customers/

the only way to target business is to support office

ariel

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2003
Usa

I'm thankful the people they are hiring are in the USA and not outsourced!

Di9it8

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2006
well i'm glad that they are hiring more people for the iPhone.....i just wish they could have hired more people instead of taking people away from Leopard

Its good they are hiring, I have just bought a Sony P990, and their support, the phone are complete rubbish, its going back asap:eek:

MrCrowbar

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2006
Well, the iPhone working with OSX desktops will be a "plug and play" experience. I mean, wouldn't iSync do everything for you pretty much?

It's getting stuff to sync on the Windows side thats going to be the hard part. The iPhone will be have to interface with MS Outlook and other files on the PC. Apple doesn't need to hire iPhone reps who are familiar with Macs! They can just recruit people from the general OSX support ranks to be trained on the iPhone. But I doubt Apple has a huge number of Windows tech support personnel. :rolleyes:

errr. everything goes over iTunes. iPods already sync contacts, calendars, podcasts and photos (not to forget music) through itunes. In the keynote it's been shown that the iPhone is synced via iTunes, there was even a tab for syncing ringtones. iSync is for non Apple phones.

ObsidianIce

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2004
Seventh Circle of Hell
extremely bad presumption...

Well one can only presume that the call centre will be using Windows.

well, it's incredibly possible that the iPhone could have Office on it - after all, it has other apps like iCal and safari. The iPhone is just a tiny consumer computer with the ability to make calls. Why not include office with it? This could be one of the things that makes people buy it - a PDA-like functionality.

Office will not ship on the actual phone either. Apple And Microsoft aren't anywhere near close enough for that to happen.

skinnylegs

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2006
San Diego
well, it's incredibly possible that the iPhone could have Office on it
You mean something like this? :D

picture2jr6.jpg

BiikeMike

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2005
I wanna work for :apple:!

To bad you'd have to put a gun to my head before getting me in a freakin call center!

richard4339

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2006
Illinois

Number one rule of software development: If you're falling short and your deadline is approaching, hiring more people at the last minute tends to make you fall even MORE behind, because you have to use your existing resources to train them instead of doing their work on the project.

Sadly, I think the job description sounds like fun. Too bad I live in TN =/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.