Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kaarelkaarel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 24, 2007
Estonia
Hello.

I have a dilemma. I have a oppurtunity to change my CoreDuo black MacBook with 1GB memory and 80GB HDD to 17inch PowerBook G4, 1,5GHz, 100BG 5400 HDD, 2GB memory, 128MB Ati Mobility Radeon 9700 + New bluetooth Mighty Mouse.

I work as a graphic designer and use indesign, ilustrator and photoshoop daily. I also use VJ pograms. And this macbook is way too slow for that but as i have a chance to make this change for free, is it useful?

Kaarel

j5uh

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2007
just upgrade your mb memory to 2 gigs and u should be good. i wouldnt trade.. HELLLLLLLLLL NO!

Stadsport

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2006
I'd definitely stick with the MacBook. For a primary computer, PowerPC is obsolete as far as I'm concerned.

timmillwood

macrumors 6502a
Apr 7, 2006
I think the powerbook is slower so i cannot think of one reason to change!

oh! got one, the better screen size, but just get a cheap 19" monitor to plug into your macbook and problem is solved

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
Hmmm...

I'm assuming you're using one of the older versions of the design software (CS2 or older) and, if that's true, then maybe the Powerbook isn't that bad of a deal. According to this MacWorld test, the 1.5GHz G4 was a lot faster than the Core Duo MacBook on the Photoshop CS2 test. Couple that with double the RAM, and a larger screen? Maybe the switch isn't that bad of a deal after all. PowerPC is FAR from being obsolete, as a previous poster said.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    57.6 KB · Views: 70

kaarelkaarel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 24, 2007
Estonia
ok. basically i've got my answer from you. i needed to know is pb that much faster but i guess it isnt then. I need to buy some more ram and wait until all other cs3 programs are launched. I mean photoshop cs3 runs pretty well, but as i need to run indesign, illustrator and photoshop at the same time then two others crash too often... but thank you guys for your quick thoughts.

koobcamuk

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
Stay with the MacBook get more RAM and then get CS3. I have it - it's amazingly fast on the Intel.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.