Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FattyMembrane

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 14, 2002
bat country
after checking out slashdot today, i was delighted to find that trolltech will be GPL'ing its Qt development toolkit for osx. Qt is used for lots of apps in the linux world and this announcement means that there are lots of nice linux apps headed our way - with native interfaces. of particular interest was talk of a full binary release of kde for osx, as well as the fact that parts had been compiled several months ago (how did this get past us?).

take a look at http://ranger.befunk.com/blog/archives/000072.html
and you'll see konqueror browsing files and surfing the web, as well as koffice running natively; no x11 required. this is big news and opens up many doors.

EDIT: i forgot to mention that the Trolltech announcement will be made at WWDC

pEZ

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2003
Madison, Wisconsin
Big news is an understatement, in my opinion. I use KDE now and then through the X11/XDarwin environment, and it tends to be a nightmare - nothing runs quite as smoothly as you want it to. If it runs both natively and faster, you got a ton of switchers right there - buy macs because they both look cool and (now) are faster than any PC on the market. Sound like a win-win-win-win situation to me.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
While I personally won't have much use for this, I can see that it's a good thing. I know that lots of open-source apps are designed specifically to run on KDE, and having the KDE libraries etc available on OS X makes it a lot easier to port them across to the Mac (maybe as simple as a recompile? I'm not sure, I don't know too much about that sort of thing!)

maradong

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2003
Luxembourg
Originally posted by Nermal
maybe as simple as a recompile?
basically it should be that simple. ( if the developper used the kde qt in a apple qt conforme way everything should just work smoothly..

Sabenth

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2003
UK
So dose this mean that there wont be any need for x11 then.. just curious as when things like this turn up they either are of no use or they are usefull but not the way you want them to be

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
The WWDC-story gets better and better.
June 23rd 2003 seems to be the most favorite date of all times!
I run KDE on X11 on a dual 533 @ work, not too happy about speed, but this would be gr8. God, I love having options.

Who in his sane mind would not want to run Mac OS X????

cubist

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2002
Muncie, Indiana
Trolltech's QT is very expensive.

Typically, packages of that kind - and there have been many down through the years - produce programs that work OK for the supported platforms, but always have an odd "look and feel". The more platforms they support, the odder the look and feel. Often, there's a horrible performance penalty on some platforms, too. They never achieve a lot of acceptance.

You're always better off confining your UI elements to separate modules and customizing them for each platform specially - and not trying to support too many platforms.

I think the "Gnustep" efforts to support something like Cocoa on other platforms is potentially more interesting.

Also, KDE supports one language only - C++. Gnome would be a better choice, since it supports several languages, and doesn't have the intellectual property issues.

pEZ

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2003
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by cubist
Also, KDE supports one language only - C++. Gnome would be a better choice, since it supports several languages, and doesn't have the intellectual property issues.

I agree, KDE is not the best environment, but it's a start. Once KDE is able to run on the Mac, then what's stopping the Gnome developers from pushing it? Still a huge step.

FattyMembrane

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 14, 2002
bat country
Originally posted by cubist

you'll have to excuse my ignorance, i'm not that familiar with how the linux desktop environments are constructed. isn't gnome based on gtk? if there were a functional gtk/cocoa wrapper (it has been tried but has yielded no succesful attempts) there would be a massive influx of linux programs/users. is gnome gtk-based, or does it call something else for its interface functions?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.