PDA

View Full Version : Firefox's Mac team is looking for your qualms

MacBytes
Apr 25, 2007, 11:01 AM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: 3rd Party Software
Link: Firefox's Mac team is looking for your qualms (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20070425120125)
Description:: What "sucks" about the current incarnation of the software? Let the Firefox Mac team know....

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

iJawn108
Apr 25, 2007, 11:18 AM
how about they just support the camino project more.

*bias* ;)

Queso
Apr 25, 2007, 11:20 AM
how about they just support the camino project more.

*bias* ;)
Same *bias* here, but Firefox 3.0 is going to be written in Cocoa, so maybe the two projects will merge at some point.

Camino 1.1 rocks. Much better than Firefox :)

bobber205
Apr 25, 2007, 11:25 AM
Irony is what makes life great.

While it was the windows version, FF just crashed when I tried to visit the link in the first post. :rolleyes:

Hilarity.

PlaceofDis
Apr 25, 2007, 11:30 AM
Same *bias* here, but Firefox 3.0 is going to be written in Cocoa, so maybe the two projects will merge at some point.

Camino 1.1 rocks. Much better than Firefox :)

yeah hopefully they'd merge somehow. Camino is sooo much better imo.

denn333
Apr 25, 2007, 01:05 PM
I disagree. I use Camino all the time, and every now and then, when pages don't work, I realize how stupid I am, go to Firefox (or even Safari), and everything just works.

Frankly, when I set up Firefox with the right skin, I really don't see the benefit of Camino, which I have given ample chance to shine.

KurtangleTN
Apr 25, 2007, 08:00 PM
I think across the board, on Win, Mac and Linux FF has the longest startup time.

I think Camino has the best overall performance for me though in panther. It's not quite as fast as Safari, but is faster then Firefox and handles most plugins better then Safari.

I'm not a huge look guy, so the Camino looking more Macish isn't a huge factor.

mattthemutt
Apr 25, 2007, 08:15 PM
I think across the board, on Win, Mac and Linux FF has the longest startup time.

I think Camino has the best overall performance for me though in panther. It's not quite as fast as Safari, but is faster then Firefox and handles most plugins better then Safari.

I'm not a huge look guy, so the Camino looking more Macish isn't a huge factor.

I find that Windows Firefox is quite zippy. It's certainly faster than IE. As for Mac Firefox, I find it's clunky, unattractive, and slow. Personally, I use Safari, and I'm quite happy with it.

fblack
Apr 25, 2007, 09:01 PM
FF has a bunch of nice small touches and I've never had a problem with a web site on the mac side, but it is sooo slow i keep going back to safari.

solvs
Apr 26, 2007, 01:50 AM
I use the G5 optimized version. Still isn't as fast as Safari, but I like the plugins. I do dislike a couple of things though. Like the error message I still get with MSN (not really their fault I guess, but I wish it would stop reminding me all the time when I do have to go there). I wish it would reset the download folder every time I quit it like it used to too. Couple other little issues.

The Intel optimized version is pretty fast though, and v.3 looks to be even better.

PCMacUser
Apr 26, 2007, 03:11 AM
I tend to use OS X's good multi tasking capabilities, so Firefox always remains open in my dock, which in turn means that my FF windows open instantly.

However, I still use version 1.5, because of the terrible crashing that I experienced with version 2.0. I know that newer releases of 2.0 have come out in recent months, but the psychological scarring was deep...

sydbarrett74
Sep 10, 2008, 08:32 AM

Camino 1.1 rocks. Much better than Firefox :)I agree. Given all the work they're doing to prune XPCOM and slim things down by the 4.0 release, I think we'll eventually see the best bits of Camino merged into the FF codebase. By that point, there will be little rationale for keeping Camino as an independent project. It's original raison d'etre was its Cocoa implementation.

t0mat0
Sep 10, 2008, 09:37 AM
I think that Chrome has shown that Firefox sucks now, by having a Firefox window slow down due to one tab, rather than just that tab be affected. The concept of each tab being separate, and also being able to bud off is a big one. Whether Firefox or Safari could implement those ideas I have no idea.

clevin
Sep 10, 2008, 09:59 AM
I think that Chrome has shown that Firefox sucks now, by having a Firefox window slow down due to one tab, rather than just that tab be affected. The concept of each tab being separate, and also being able to bud off is a big one. Whether Firefox or Safari could implement those ideas I have no idea.

multi-threading is, IMHO, the future. But it does has pros and cons as well.

PS. what does that have anything to do with firefox mac? last time I checked, there isn't a version of Chrome for mac, and there isn't a roadmap for that neither.