Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Starflyer

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 22, 2003
I am helping a friend write an argumentative paper on how macs are better than PCs. It has to be 5-10 pages long and I want to hit five to seven main points.

What would your points be?

alexprice

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2005
I am helping a friend write an argumentative paper on how macs are better than PCs. It has to be 5-10 pages long and I want to hit five to seven main points.

1. Secure UNIX based OS

2. Great looks

3. Easier to use

4. Cooler

5. Only machine in the world who will run both Windows and Mac apps.

6. iLife

7. No drivers hassles

Danksi

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2005
Nelson, BC. Canada

By 'PC' (Personal Computer) do you mean Windows, Linux etc.. running on Dell, HP, Sony etc.. or just 'MS Windows'?

You'll want to state these limitations as part of the introduction to the paper.

You may want to suggest some arguments such as, longer service, lower running costs, higher resale value?

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
Mac Microsoft Office and other Apps to replace it

Text Edit-Comes with every Mac for Free
iWork(Includes Pages which is like Word) Trial on all new Macs, plus Robert can give Conor a copy
MS Office-Trail on every new Mac,OpenOffice-Free word processing App
NeoOffice- Free Word Processing App
AppleWork-Older Word Processing App that cam with Mac, i can give conor a copy
Also Mac’s can boot into Windows XP(at full speed) so you could use MS Office in Window is you wanted(but there is no reason)

Macs have
1)No virus for Mac OS X
2) Works seamlessly with a Window PC
3) Can boot into Window if you want
4)Spotlight, to allow all your files in your Hard Drive to be searched with a Click of a Mouse
5)Built in Wi-Fi so the computer can get internet all around the house(if you have Wireless Base station)
6) You can use you old Mouse, Screen and Keyboard with a Mac
7) Mac OS X is update every year to year and half, so you can stay up to date(Plus smaller updates inbetween)
8) When installing 3rd party thing you hardly even need to install 3rd party drives to make the new add on work... it just does
10) Comes with tons of free Apps including iLife 06 Apple award winning Software Apps for making movies, DVD, pictures music and more
12)You Mac will be able to taken to you local Apple Store( and an Apple “Genius” will answer any question for free, and fix any problem
13)If you don’t like Mac OS X, you can boot into Window
14) Mac will have Front Row and an Apple remote to allow him to watch movies,play music and show pictures all from across the room.
15) This new Mac Mini is 4 times as fast as the Mac Mini before it.
16) Apple is now using the same chips as PC
17)burn double layer DVDs letting him store 2x the amount of stuff on the same DVD you use now
18) There are tons of piece of software for Mac OS X
19) The online site I go to about Macs has over 80,000 people signed up, many of them know lots about Macs

This is a list I had for my friend, i got rid of the names, but still somethings might not make sense, but you hopefully get the over all idea

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
7. No drivers hassles

u must never heard about laserjet 1020 printer, plz let me know if u find a easy way to make it work under OSX.

for OP
dont get confused by apple's PR. "OSX vs. Windows" would be a more appropriate title. since mac runs windows, and pc is not exclusively equal to windows based computers.

pianoman

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
7) Mac OS X is update every year to year and half, so you can stay up to date(Plus smaller updates inbetween)

not exactly. it'll be over 2 years between Tiger and Leopard. for previous versions of OS X, though, this is correct.

as much of a marketing ploy as they are, the Mac vs. PC commercials really do highlight the strengths that Macs have over PCs. there are more than seven of those, so your friend should be able to pick a good few and have a good paper.

KurtangleTN

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2007
1. Easier then Windows
2. More features
3. Better UI
4. Overall more speedy
5. Less system resources used compared to Windows
7. Little worries about Viruses, Spyware
8. Sleek design of machines
9. They hold their value and the test of time better
10. Out of the box, ready to go with awesome programs, compared to the trial crap on the PC

TheBobcat

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2006
East Lansing, Michigan
Personally, I'd argue that Windows is better. It has way more application support and has the greatest flexibility for uses across the board.

Mac OS X is out-of-date, bloated, and in my opinion, a very artsy, but not useful user platform.

OK, now after you say that, just ask everyone, "didn't that sound retarded, so you now know Mac is better than PC. It doesn't make sense to say Windows is better than anything."

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon

I would have four main points.

Point 1 would be that the hardware is better styled across the board with a reasonably coherent design direction across the entire range, and that the OS generally looks slicker in everything it presents. Visual superiority.

Point 2 would be the high degree of suitability to the computing neophyte: that the OS is much easier for those unfamiliar with computing concepts, or those who believe themselves to be familiar but don't actually understand it all that much, to be reasonably confident in what they do. This point also covers the 'better security' myth of the Mac. It is simply much more difficult for the technologically illiterate to get themselves into trouble by dint of "Security through Obscurity".

Point 3 would be the high degree of suitability to the computer geek: the development environment, and that many of the development tools are shipped with the Mac allowing the programming type to geek out to a higher level than would be possible on a Windows PC out of the box. The architecture of the OS also lends itself to advanced geeking.

Point 4 would be of course the integrated iLife suite. Tying into point 2, while unsuitable for experienced types it allows the neophyte to get into media in a very friendly way and provides useful home-use functionality out of the box.

Personally I find it very interesting about points 2 and 3 - that the Apples are ideal for two polar opposites of the computing-interest spectrum.

That's pretty much it in a nutshell. When you consider things in detail, other supposed areas of superiority tend to be FUD and/or outright BS. You could however certainly break those four points down into various sub-points and if you (hypothetically) gave it to me I could definitely expand that to 5-10 pages.

mattscott306

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2007
With the exception of the ever present and cool minded Sesshi- I am amazed at how much of this thread is based off the Mac V PC commercials...

peter mercanti

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2007
Mac Vs. Pc

Sorry to be a contrarian but as both a Mac and PC owner, I think the supposed MAC superiority over PC's is UberHype.

In fact, each system has its strong points and each its drawbacks. Since everyone is listing PC shortcomings, let me concentrate on Macs.

1. I see no compelling evidence to the claim Macs are more user friendly. Example -- the old Windows Explorer is a superior to Mac's find feature as far as locating and manipulating files and interfaces betwen native and external HDD's. Also I-tunes is one of the most user un-friendly programs for MP3's. Difficult to orgnaize and load onto the Ipod compared to simple drag and drop in Explorer with non-Ipod players. Need to load your Ipod from a different computer? You've got to trash your old library and build a new one from the new computer.

2. App removal -- sure, just drag the icon to the trash heap on a Mac but that does not clear out all the files. Add remove programs in Windows does a more comprehensive job with a single action.

3. Software options for Macs suck compared to PC's

4. Macs dont crash ... perhaps not but they sure as hell hang up with the spinning wheel and are harder to get back on line once that happens. BTW, I haven't had a single crash with XP since after the first year bugs were worked out.

5. Safari is inferior as a browser compared to IE and Firefox.

6. The out of the box Mac programs are not superior to PC's (okay, I'm not a graphic artist who can tell you the nuances about some Mac programs' superiority, but how many of us are?) The issue here is that PC's no longer include any software. Macs are more expensive so you are just getting what you paid for. Also, can anyone tell me how standard Quick Time is better than Media Player or VLC media player which can even play partial files?

I like the Mac well enough but at the end of the day it is not superior to Windows or a good PC, it's just different, better in some ways, worse in others.

Shadow

macrumors 68000
Feb 17, 2006
Sorry to be a contrarian but as both a Mac and PC owner, I think the supposed MAC superiority over PC's is UberHype.

In fact, each system has its strong points and each its drawbacks. Since everyone is listing PC shortcomings, let me concentrate on Macs.

1. I see no compelling evidence to the claim Macs are more user friendly. Example -- the old Windows Explorer is a superior to Mac's find feature as far as locating and manipulating files and interfaces betwen native and external HDD's. Also I-tunes is one of the most user un-friendly programs for MP3's. Difficult to orgnaize and load onto the Ipod compared to simple drag and drop in Explorer with non-Ipod players. Need to load your Ipod from a different computer? You've got to trash your old library and build a new one from the new computer.

2. App removal -- sure, just drag the icon to the trash heap on a Mac but that does not clear out all the files. Add remove programs in Windows does a more comprehensive job with a single action.

4. Macs dont crash ... perhaps not but they sure as hell hang up with the spinning wheel and are harder to get back on line once that happens. BTW, I haven't had a single crash with XP since after the first year bugs were worked out.

6. The out of the box Mac programs are not superior to PC's (okay, I'm not a graphic artist who can tell you the nuances about some Mac programs' superiority, but how many of us are?) The issue here is that PC's no longer include any software. Macs are more expensive so you are just getting what you paid for. Also, can anyone tell me how standard Quick Time is better than Media Player or VLC media player which can even play partial files?

I like the Mac well enough but at the end of the day it is not superior to Windows or a good PC, it's just different, better in some ways, worse in others.

1. I-tunes? Ipod? I suggest you done some research first.
2. Macs arnt effected by the left over files...unlike Windows
3. No. Just no.
4. No. My Mac never stalls. Even in Photoshop CS1 under Rosetta.
5. WTF are you on about?!
6. I have no idea what you are on about.

Please do some research before posting this BS which is all FUD and untrue.

peter mercanti

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2007
Mac Vs. Pc

peter mercanti

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2007
Mac Vs. Pc

1. I-tunes? Ipod? I suggest you done some research first.
2. Macs arnt effected by the left over files...unlike Windows
3. No. Just no.
4. No. My Mac never stalls. Even in Photoshop CS1 under Rosetta.
5. WTF are you on about?!
6. I have no idea what you are on about.

Please do some research before posting this BS which is all FUD and untrue.

Point 1 and your closing statement -- I don't need to go to Geek Squad Training School or research anything. My statements are based on my actual comparitive usage of the Mac products with non-Mac products.

Point 2 -- That's not the issue .. no one need excess files bloating their systems

Point 3 - You gotta be kidding, aren't you?

Point 4 -- I'm happy for you. My Macbook Pro hungup twice this week

Point 5 -- WTF .. isn't that a professional wresting organization?

Point 6 -- Macs come with software, most PC's eliminated their software bundles a few years ago. If there's any issue of Mac software superiority it's that, not any intrinsic merit of the software programs themselves

Sorry, gotta go watch WTF Slapdown on cable now

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
Point 1 and your closing statement -- I don't need to go to Geek Squad Training School or research anything. My statements are based on my actual comparitive usage of the Mac products with non-Mac products.

Point 2 -- That's not the issue .. no one need excess files bloating their systems

Point 3 - You gotta be kidding, aren't you?

Point 4 -- I'm happy for you. My Macbook Pro hungup twice this week

Point 5 -- WTF .. isn't that a professional wresting organization?

Point 6 -- Macs come with software, most PC's eliminated their software bundles a few years ago. If there's any issue of Mac software superiority it's that, not any intrinsic merit of the software programs themselves

Sorry, gotta go watch WTF Slapdown on cable now

1. Correct me if I'm wrong but are you referring to Apple as "Mac"?

2. His point was that the levtover files DO NOT bloat Mac OS X

3. No. Go check out MacUpdate or Version Tracker sometime.

4. Boo hoo. It happens to some of us, and some of us it doesn't; which means it isn't a valid point.

5.That would be WWE.

6. This is the stupidist comment of them all. PC's don't come with trial software? I spent the entire new years day removing crap trial programs from my sisters computer.

Sorry, Chris is right. Do your research.

Echoes

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2007
47º20'N 79º26'W

Well, speaking from experience, I can tell you there is no point here. Most of the programs removed this way leave numerous traces in the registry and several leftover files, dll's and folders all across the drive. Have you ever tried to remove Norton Antivirus this way? Try it. Then go check in the registry to find all instances of "Symantec", "Norton", "Live Update". Norton Antivirus alone leaves several HUNDRED entries in the registry. It can be worse, try removing Kodak EasyShare, or Kaspersky Internet Security!

This is the same for software from Nero, Roxio, McAfee, Cyberlink and even Microsoft, just to name that few. Cleanly removing programs from Windows is quite a job even for the computer litterate.

As both methods will eventually leave traces behind, I find throwing an icon into the trash far more easier, and faster too.

HawaiiMacAddict

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2006
On one of my Macs of course
Hey, don't forget about the ports available on the hardware. For example, my MacBook Pro has Firewire 800 and 400, as well as the standard USB 2 ports. It also has a DVI port, as opposed to the standard VGA port. I have been able to COMPLETELY replace the Dell D810 laptop at work with my MacBook Pro - as a matter of fact, I've convinced my boss that our company needs to buy one, officially this time :D, for me to use on the job. One of the biggest selling points is that, while the newer Dell D820 has Firewire 800 ports, they are NON-STANDARD ports, and on my MacBook Pro everything just work, period.

The only issue I have with using Ghost is that, due to the formatting of the external terabyte drive, I have to boot into Windows. I have a Boot Camp installation, hwoever, so that is no big deal - I just hate seeing my MacBook Pro running Windows natively, when it really should be running Mac OS :D

:apple:HawaiiMacAddictg

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
not exactly. it'll be over 2 years between Tiger and Leopard. for previous versions of OS X, though, this is correct.]

When I wrote that list, its looked like OS X 10.5 was coming out about 1.5 years after Tiger.(It was made sometime in '06)

Normally they do, iPhone pushed this one back, and Jobs talked about making the dates between each update a little longer...yup I know, but in the past , thats the ways its been.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C

Those are the ones I have the biggest problems with...the other are wrong also, but I'm not wasting time on them.

For 3...what software options? OS X is praised for the amazing Apple only software, iMoive, iPhoto ,iTunes, iDVD, iWeb, Page, Keynote, Final Cut ect ect...all the app Apple makes and are market leaders!! Most big 3rd party software is also on the Mac..autocad is missing, but missing one piece of software hardly makes it "suck"

5) Are you crazy? IE 6 sucks...its lacks tabs and has tons of hole, and IE 7 is the worst update I've every seen, the UI on IE 6 wasn't good, but now on IE 7 it takes people so long to find simple things like the print button. Not to mention the holes in IE...don't even get me started on them. IE is the worst piece of software MS has ever made, comparing it to Safari is just wrong.

And FireFox is also made for the Mac :rolleyes:

Trolls seem full for today!

HawaiiMacAddict

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2006
On one of my Macs of course
Tell me about it, zap2! I made the switch last August, when I purchased my 20" iMac. The ONLY software titles I've purchased since then are:

Parallels Desktop for Mac
Toast 7 (then Toast 8 when it came out)
iWork

Other than that, I've used Version Tracker, Mac Update, and Free MacWare for all my other software needs. In October, I plan on purchasing both Leopard and iWork (Leopard Edition :D), but I'm really set other than that.

In other words, the Mac programs I've used all just work, so there's no need to get every other version of the same program, as some people do, including myself to some degree (at least up until last August) in the Windows world. What detractors can't seem to grasp is that the available Mac titles WORK, and work WELL. There's no need to have 15 different desktop publishing titles, when iWork (specifically Pages) works well enough for some, and the Adobe product line contains another that works for the rest (I am satisfied with Pages, so I'm not wasting my time looking for an alternative).

On the flip side of the coin, where is the Windows version of such stellar programs as Butler (free), Quicksilver (free), Backlight (free) - which allows the user to use a screen saver as the desktop background, Boot Camp (free) - which offers live partitioning of the primary hard drive and installation of a completely different OS, Handbrake (free) - which allows the user to rip a DVD to the format used by an iPod among others, iStumbler (free) - a nice utility that displays wireless APs, MacTheRipper (free) - a DVD ripper, PodTube (free) - which allows the user to save YouTube video to the format used by an iPod, and PullTab and Witch (both free) - both combined act as an alternative to Alt-Tab.

There are many more free programs than that, but those are some of the ones I use on a daily basis. The major difference is the paradigm shift between using a Mac versus using a PC. My most immediate reaction to using a Mac was, and still is, "the shackles are off!" In other words, one uses a PC the way Microsoft has prescribed, but one uses a Mac however one wishes. There's no activation, no UAC (see Vista documentation for a description), no registry, no DLLs, no VIRII, no SYWARE, and little to no driver issues - including running Windows via Boot Camp. Apple created Boot Camp Assistant, which creates a Windows driver disc with Windows drivers for all of the Apple hardware in your Mac. While not everything works in Windows as it does in Mac OS, it still works.

Here's the best question to ask: if you can purchase a computer that has the capability to run ANY modern OS, either concurrently or individually (hint - it's a Mac), why buy a PC? The software is optimized for the hardware, and vice versa (to a large degree, although the CPUs are not made with Mac OS in mind), so you get a much, much more seamless experience.

:apple:HawaiiMacAddict

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.