PDA

View Full Version : Overheating due to folding?

Witty lama
Apr 26, 2007, 12:56 PM
hey all,
I just recently installed the F@H client (non graphical) on my MacBook Core Duo. However, as soon as it starts to run, the computer fan kicks-in and continues at top speed for as long as F@H is running. The fan stops again about a minute after I disable F@H.

Does this mean that my computer is overheating due to F@H? If I leave the programme running overnight will my computer melt!? Is there a way to make F@H not make my macbook work so hard?

Cheers.

livingfortoday
Apr 26, 2007, 01:54 PM
Well, it just means it's using your CPU at 100%, not necessarily that it's overheating. I recommend downloading a program like Temperature Monitor to see what temps you're hitting. I run SETI on my MacBook for hours at a time, and it gets noisy and hot, but hasn't failed me yet!

i know with SETI and BOINC, you can set it to use only a certain percentage of your CPU, so it won't get as hot. I don't know if there's a similar option with F@H.

mc68k
Apr 26, 2007, 04:15 PM
i know with SETI and BOINC, you can set it to use only a certain percentage of your CPU, so it won't get as hot. I don't know if there's a similar option with F@H.

seems to be on the PC client. under -config -> advanced options -> CPU usage requested

doesnt seem to be the option on the mac client. i bet theres some unix way to do it

Witty lama
Apr 27, 2007, 10:34 AM
So it is normal to have the fan running full-tilt?
Is this what every other MacBook with F@H is doing?

And, is there a way to limit the processing usage of F@H to stop it from getting that hot?

livingfortoday
Apr 27, 2007, 02:56 PM
So it is normal to have the fan running full-tilt?
Is this what every other MacBook with F@H is doing?

Yeah, at 100% CPU usage, it's going to get hot, and the fans will be on full tilt. That's just how it is, sadly.