Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smueboy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 30, 2006
Oz
Now, i love Wikipedia and use it all the time, but the idea of buying it on DVD seems to go against the whole point behind Wiki (or maybe that's my net-centric view on life :) ). I'm not sure that anyone will actually buy this.....

From slashdot: "WikipediaOnDVD, with cooperation with the Wikipedia community, has released its first offline test version. The articles were selected by Wikipedians and reviewed for accuracy, vandalism, and importance. Nearly 2,000 core Wikipedia articles will be sold on compact disc to give people without a net connection access to highlights of the popular web resource. The CD can be purchased or downloaded online via their site or the torrent."

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
I intend to buy a copy (instead of downloading the ISO) since it's a pretty cheap way to support Wikimedia foundation and get something useful. A snapshot of the top articles in the encyclopedia.

B

epochblue

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2005
Nashville, TN
I might pick up a copy just in case Wikipedia ever goes down....my broke ass can't afford a full set of Brittanica, but I can definitely spend the time to download a torrent.

miloblithe

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Washington, DC
Now, i love Wikipedia and use it all the time, but the idea of buying it on DVD seems to go against the whole point behind Wiki (or maybe that's my net-centric view on life :) ). I'm not sure that anyone will actually buy this.....

From slashdot: "WikipediaOnDVD, with cooperation with the Wikipedia community, has released its first offline test version. The articles were selected by Wikipedians and reviewed for accuracy, vandalism, and importance. Nearly 2,000 core Wikipedia articles will be sold on compact disc to give people without a net connection access to highlights of the popular web resource. The CD can be purchased or downloaded online via their site or the torrent."

Well, if you live somewhere without Internet access or spend a lot of time in such places, this sounds like something that might be nice to have.

smueboy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 30, 2006
Oz
hmm.. i like the idea of supporting the Wiki foundation. To make it a fully functional encyclopaedia i hope they release a much more extensive version after the test release.

ghall

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2006
Rhode Island
The only problem I see is that it would be out of date by the time you click
"okay". It's a good idea, but I can't really see how it would work. Oh well, I guess that's why it's just being tested.

kitki83

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2004
Los Angeles
The only problem I see is that it would be out of date by the time you click
"okay". It's a good idea, but I can't really see how it would work. Oh well, I guess that's why it's just being tested.

Same as an encyclopedia, it cant be proven or something may debunk some of the information. Anyway this is awesome for anyone doing quick research or know how. I am getting one. Support Wiki its totally awesome

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
as all the great OSS projects, this wikipedia on CD can be downloaded for free.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.