PDA

View Full Version : PowerMacs + Noise..

Falleron
Jun 21, 2003, 06:58 AM
Ok, so it looks like we are getting new PowerMacs on monday. This is great news. However, I am worried that they wont have sorted out the noise problems. I really do want a really quiet computer.

I may even sell my Dual ghz machine + upgrade to a dual 2ghz! :-)

Dont Hurt Me
Jun 21, 2003, 07:02 AM
I think you are wrong since they did a lot of work to make the current wind tunnels less noisey. Remember the wind tunnel was an attempt to squeeze every ounce of speed out of those sorry overclocked motorola chips. This new chip will need cooling but i dont think to the extent of what we had seen in the MDD. The 970 pulls less at the same clock then the g4.

Falleron
Jun 21, 2003, 07:04 AM
Originally posted by Dont Hurt Me
I think you are wrong since they did a lot of work to make the current wind tunnels less noisey. Remember the wind tunnel was an attempt to squeeze every ounce of speed out of those sorry overclocked motorola chips. This new chip will need cooling but i dont think to the extent of what we had seen in the MDD. The 970 pulls less at the same clock then the g4.
I do hope your right. There is no need for the computer to be as noisy as the current computers - even if they have been improved recently. They are still too noisy though.

maradong
Jun 21, 2003, 09:12 AM
i m not sure, but it seems me like if i read somewhere that the ppc 970 would only generate something like 25 W... that s really nothing. just think of a P4 3.0 it generates more than 86 W of of heat....