Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bake151

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 25, 2007
Upstate, NY
I used to play the original and that was pretty good. RTII I didn't like and wondered if anyone plays version III and how it was? Thanks.

MongoTheGeek

macrumors 68040
I used to play the original and that was pretty good. RTII I didn't like and wondered if anyone plays version III and how it was? Thanks.

Yes I play it. Not sure how it compares to the others as I haven't played them. I find it an enjoyable play. There are 20 scenarios each take several hours to play. Some scenarios are harder than others (at least for me, I'm sure I blew through levels that other people struggled with and they blew through the one that I had to replay 30 times before I won it). There are also various difficulty levels. Multiplayer games and a sandbox mode.

miller218

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2006
An Improvement over RRT 2

There's a new economic model and a 3D layout which is nice (no more straight and 45 degree pieces, it's point to point lay out)

The challenges are pretty much the same old thing: 50 Million in personal worth, be only company after 30 years, 30 million in company worth, haul 120 loads of oil, etc.

Bridges and tunnels are a big improvement, but it can be hard to snake around mountain sides like in RRT 2.

All in all a nice evolution, nothing revolutionary (economic model is quite different , as I have already said).

Sid Meier's Railroads has been out for a while for the PC I haven't seen anything on a Mac Port, but then I've been too busy with WOW to notice.

miller218

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2006

What didn't you like about RRT2? That might give me some idea if you'd like RRT3. There are so many ways to play RRT series, building lines, economic, stock market.

Bake151

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 25, 2007
Upstate, NY
What didn't you like about RRT2? That might give me some idea if you'd like RRT3. There are so many ways to play RRT series, building lines, economic, stock market.

To be honest I really don't remember what I didn't like. It's been so long since I've played. I have a better computer now and would like to give III a try. I may just get it and play it. Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.