PDA

View Full Version : Noisy Xserve v1.0

CMillerERAU
Jun 21, 2003, 12:01 PM
I've got a vintage first rev Xserve in my journalism office and it sounds like an airplane taking off in there. Unfortunately we can't put it in IT headquarters (for reasons meantioned in my previous posts) and so it sits right with the workstations howling away. Anyone have any good ideas on how to quiet it down? Perhaps I could swap fans like a Windtunnel PowerMac? I really don't want to stash it away in the bathroom or a closet because I might want to hook a monitor up and do maintenence on it.

ibookin'
Jun 21, 2003, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by CMillerERAU
I've got a vintage first rev Xserve in my journalism office and it sounds like an airplane taking off in there. Unfortunately we can't put it in IT headquarters (for reasons meantioned in my previous posts) and so it sits right with the workstations howling away. Anyone have any good ideas on how to quiet it down? Perhaps I could swap fans like a Windtunnel PowerMac? I really don't want to stash it away in the bathroom or a closet because I might want to hook a monitor up and do maintenence on it.

I would suggest putting it in a closet, making sure there is enough airflow to cool the thing (after all, that's why it's making so much noise), then using Apple Remote Desktop (I believe this comes with the XServe?) to remotely administer it.

iJon
Jun 21, 2003, 12:28 PM
ARD doesnt come with it. I hate to break it to you, but its an Xserve, its goin to be loud. its a rack mount server, its not suppose to be near people who cant handle and constant humming for the duration of work time. I have one and it was so damn loud, we moved it into a room by itself where it belonged. there are expensive enclouses that you can put them which silence it.

iJon

ibookin'
Jun 21, 2003, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by iJon
ARD doesnt come with it. I hate to break it to you, but its an Xserve, its goin to be loud. its a rack mount server, its not suppose to be near people who cant handle and constant humming for the duration of work time. I have one and it was so damn loud, we moved it into a room by itself where it belonged. there are expensive enclouses that you can put them which silence it.

iJon

Yeah, as iJon said, it's a server and is meant to be put in a server environment.

CMillerERAU
Jun 21, 2003, 02:24 PM
Yeah I guess I should see the writing on the wall and just move it to the bathroom. Any recommendations as to mounting it on a wall with some L brackets?

saabmp3
Jun 21, 2003, 03:55 PM
If you seriously want to do the L bracket bathroom idea (I wouldn't put it nearmoisture, I've killed computers near big fish tanks actually), then you should look at 3com, they actually make these brackts, but I don't know if they'll be strong enough for you.

BEN

CMillerERAU
Jun 21, 2003, 04:17 PM
Well the bathroom is more of a storage closet really, we've got some vintage PM7100's in there but i don't think moisture will be much of a problem since the only thing we use is the toilet. There is also a hallway that we can use if moisture is such a big deal. also, does anyone know how far a USB and VGA cables can go? I'm a cheapskate, I know, and i'd really much rather just plug a monitor and keyboard up to the Xserve rather than buy Remote Desktop. ;-)