PDA

View Full Version : Schools say iPods becoming tool for cheaters

MacBytes
Apr 29, 2007, 10:08 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Apple Hardware
Link: Schools say iPods becoming tool for cheaters (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20070429230822)
Description:: none

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

katie ta achoo
Apr 29, 2007, 10:10 PM
Becoming?
It has been for a while!

the only reason I passed physics is because of the notes feature... :p

iLoveMyMBP
Apr 29, 2007, 10:12 PM
Becoming?
It has been for a while!

RIGHT ON!!!!

winmacguy
Apr 29, 2007, 10:18 PM
I wish iPods had been around when I was at school, I might have passed School Cert maths and english.

PlaceofDis
Apr 29, 2007, 10:27 PM
well, duh. :p

i mean seriously, what teacher would let a student use an iPod during a test? thats nonsense to me personally. but i guess some teachers/schools are out of the loop in terms of modern technology.

SkyBell
Apr 29, 2007, 10:30 PM
Becoming?
It has been for a while!

yeah...ive never exacly been good at science...:o

nagromme
Apr 29, 2007, 10:36 PM
iPods... any other players... phones... wads of paper....

RichP
Apr 29, 2007, 10:38 PM
iPods... any other players... phones... wads of paper....

yeah, I dont see how this is any different than any other method. Actually, a PDA or phone, with internet, would be much more useful. Or even a PDA with just some basic search feature.

Fearless Leader
Apr 29, 2007, 10:40 PM
thats nothing at our school they banned the use of brains on tests. That darn thing just stores all the answers to well.

zephead
Apr 29, 2007, 11:28 PM
thats nothing at our school they banned the use of brains on tests. That darn thing just stores all the answers to well.

Sucks for you! :p

It doesn't have to just be iPods. The students who really wanna cheat are gonna use anything available to them to be able to cheat.

dukebound85
Apr 29, 2007, 11:51 PM
more like calculators are a bigger problem as they are usually permitted lol

say ti-89's anyone?

Fearless Leader
Apr 29, 2007, 11:57 PM
meh, my ti-89 is my friend.

while its not cheating it does give me unfair advantages but whatever. If the off chance I forget how to do something, I can usually compute everything it could be until i get the right answer.

example I needed to remember 4 common Pythagorean triples for right triangles. I remembered a number off each of them and through some advance equation solving and searching through all possible answer i found all 4. something that would not have been, timewise, possible on the 84. also i can store notes in it but i could that with the 84.

zapp
Apr 30, 2007, 05:25 AM

Way back when I was in High School I had a ti programable. I don't remember the model. I had it programmed to do physics problems by inputting the knowns. Some kid ratted me out, but the teacher told him that if I was smart enough to program the calculator to do the problem I knew enough to use it on the test.

SPUY767
Apr 30, 2007, 06:59 AM
Inkpen writing on back of hand, the new cheating tool? Find out at 6.

Khryz
Apr 30, 2007, 10:58 AM
That takes too much work. I just ask my neighbors during a test what the answers are, especially for multiple-choice tests. In college, the desks are so closely packed together in a small room (much smaller than high school) that it's too easy. Have to sit in the middle of the class though.

Swarmlord
Apr 30, 2007, 11:05 AM
That takes too much work. I just ask my neighbors during a test what the answers are, especially for multiple-choice tests. In college, the desks are so closely packed together in a small room (much smaller than high school) that it's too easy. Have to sit in the middle of the class though.

That's why when I proctor a test, I sit behind all the students. Our computers randomize the questions and present them only one question at a time though, so it doesn't take students long to realize they are wasting their time looking around.

Echoes
Apr 30, 2007, 07:30 PM
Back when I was in high school, I was kicked out of math class for 3 days because I brought a calculator.

Now the calculator is mandatory... :rolleyes:

SkyBell
Apr 30, 2007, 07:50 PM
Inkpen writing on back of hand, the new cheating tool? Find out at 6.

"Good evening. And now our top news story:

School officals across the nation are taking note of a new kind of cheating device: a ballpoint pen. Researchers say it's a phenomenon sweeping the nation..."

b0tt094
Apr 30, 2007, 08:27 PM
Becoming?
It has been for a while!

Sounds like my spanish class:cool:

dukebound85
Apr 30, 2007, 09:00 PM

while its not cheating it does give me unfair advantages but whatever. If the off chance I forget how to do something, I can usually compute everything it could be until i get the right answer.

example I needed to remember 4 common Pythagorean triples for right triangles. I remembered a number off each of them and through some advance equation solving and searching through all possible answer i found all 4. something that would not have been, timewise, possible on the 84. also i can store notes in it but i could that with the 84.

oh i know people that will type a crap load of equations as text files on their 89's and pretty much have notes on thier calc during tests. doesnt affect me much since most of my exams are open book which is uber dumb in my opinion. makes it soooo much harder

majordude
Apr 30, 2007, 09:38 PM
I wish iPods had been around when I was at school, I might have passed School Cert maths and english.

I tried cheating with an iPod once. I put down "Jagged Little Pill" for the capitol of Greece, "Iron Butterfly" for the sixth planet and "Purple Rain" for the period where dinosaurs ruled the earth. :rolleyes:

thesnowman16
May 1, 2007, 02:40 AM

amen to that!

koobcamuk
May 1, 2007, 07:13 AM
Most schools in the UK will only allow a calculator to be taken with you to the desk of your exam.

Father Jack
May 1, 2007, 07:18 AM
Back when I was in high school, I was kicked out of math class for 3 days because I brought a calculator.

Now the calculator is mandatory... :rolleyes:

This is why many of today's teenagers are fecked if their battery goes flat :eek:

In my young days there weren't any iPods or calculators ....... come to think about it there weren't any batteries either!!!!
FJ

dukebound85
May 2, 2007, 01:04 AM
This is why many of today's teenagers are fecked if their battery goes flat :eek:

In my young days there weren't any iPods or calculators ....... come to think about it there weren't any batteries either!!!!
FJ

makes you wonder how people got degrees in engineering without computers/calculators and whatnot. i cant even imagine it ahhhhhh!

engineering is hard enough with calcs and computers lol

KurtangleTN
May 2, 2007, 07:26 AM
Maybe I'm a little messed up in the head, but I don't see the problem with people recording formulas. Probably after recording it and hearing it during the test, they'll remember it and learn it now.. which is the reason why you go to school.

YOU GO TO SCHOOL TO LEARN!
HELLO?
YOU GO TO SCHOOL TO LEARN!

I understand like a final or something, but for the most part most other quizzes and test allow notes anyway, at least in my school anyway.

Father Jack
May 2, 2007, 10:16 AM
makes you wonder how people got degrees in engineering without computers/calculators and whatnot. i cant even imagine it ahhhhhh!

engineering is hard enough with calcs and computers lol
We had to use a pieces of primitive equipment like slide rules and Log Tables :eek: :eek: :eek:

No batteries required.

FJ

skoker
May 2, 2007, 11:32 AM
"Good evening. And now our top news story:

School officals across the nation are taking note of a new kind of cheating device: a ballpoint pen. Researchers say it's a phenomenon sweeping the nation..."

Anchor Tad Whogivesadamn has more in this story you'll see first on Channel 9...

HustlaBaby
Aug 11, 2007, 05:35 PM
my Teacher Knows That I Let A Friend Cheat Off My Paper From A Test, Im Afraid Of Getting In Trouble!!! Please Tell Me What To Say!!

Heres The Situation, We Had A Test Of All The Capitals And States, And We Had To Go In To The Library And Sit At Different Tables, Well My Friend Asked For Some Of The Answers So I Said Come With Me So We Got A Pass Back To Class And I Let Him Copy My Paper On The Way Back, I Told Him Not To Copy All Of Them Or Id Be Too Obvious, But He Only Changed One Answer.

One Of My Other Friends Who Is The Teachers Aide Told Me That He Seen That We Got All Of The Same Answers Wrong And He Wants To Talk To Us On Monday!!!!!

What Do I Say?!?!?!