PDA

View Full Version : OS X vs Vista (Shakespeare style)

MacBytes
Apr 29, 2007, 10:42 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Reviews
Link: OS X vs Vista (Shakespeare style) (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20070429234247)
Description:: none

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

Mudbug
Apr 29, 2007, 10:44 PM
Methinks t'was a slow newsday at C|Net...

zephead
Apr 29, 2007, 11:22 PM
Well, that just goes to show you can't effectively decide an OS based on an Elizabethian duel. :p

angelneo
Apr 29, 2007, 11:25 PM
I like looking at the pictures than reading what they have to say.... :D

MrSmith
Apr 29, 2007, 11:27 PM
The piece could have been condensed to a paragraph and still wasted too much of my time.

justflie
Apr 29, 2007, 11:49 PM
Wow. And not the windows wow. And I thought the British were more cultured and sophisticated than us uncouth Yanks! Lol, uncouth is a fun word to use. My mind hurts a little from reading that article (and it's not even due to the absurd yellow background!). :eek:

DMann
Apr 29, 2007, 11:50 PM
Funny that Vista is compared to Tiger on such trivial levels........ Do window resize and close buttons really need to "not look identical" before hovering over them, to be effectively useful and obvious? Why would one ever want to delete files with the (accidental) push of a single delete button? Is it so terribly limiting that windows are resized on the lower right side only? How about we mention Vista's need to continually grant multiple permissions to complete a task, the staggering BLOAT of the OS, the comparatively primitive interface, and the poor use of screen real estate? It'll be more entertaining to watch C-Net compare Vista to Leopard in October.....

mrkramer
Apr 29, 2007, 11:58 PM
well that was a waste of time I stopped when they claimed that Vista was faster than OS X.

Silencio
Apr 29, 2007, 11:59 PM
Oh, CNet has to always be on the lookout to find new ways to please their overloads in Redmond. This is one of their sadder attempts, for sure.

Maedus
Apr 30, 2007, 12:16 AM
I feel more stupid for having read that, but nowhere as near as stupid as those who wrote it.
For Usability, they might as well have asked, "Why does Apple make things logical and efficient when there are people like us out there that are too stupid to understand it."
It was obvious the review was going downhill when Mac OS X's positives were being considered negatives.
That and when the reviewers were unable to realize they were comparing Macintosh computers to personal computers instead of being an actual, true, Mac OS X versus Windows Vista comparison, because last time I seen, Microsoft hasn't received any Core Duo or Core 2 Duos from Intel for personal computers that they manufacture and sell.

bluebomberman
Apr 30, 2007, 12:49 AM
I haven't felt this awful since the day I was subjected to the first 2 minutes of the 1996 version of Romeo + Juliet (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0117509/).

"But Leonardo's so hot!" my friend said repeatedly. :Urkk:

ppnkg
Apr 30, 2007, 03:56 AM
any nonsense can make news these days..

Nym
Apr 30, 2007, 04:24 AM
Why oh why have I read this.......?

Predictable outcome....

He says that Vista is the "new found love", however, people are more and more seeking alternatives like Macs or Linux, interesting contradiction.

noaccess
Apr 30, 2007, 05:14 AM
I totally object. Reasons:

OS X is better, and they shouldn't have dismissed using other OS'es in Parallels as an option.
They should have cast the other, cuter guy as OS X, which looks better and has the better interface (no underlying message).

bigandy
Apr 30, 2007, 05:30 AM
I didn't even read it.

C|net choosing Windows is a forgone conclusion.

the know nothing eejits.

Eraserhead
Apr 30, 2007, 05:47 AM
OS X is better

Given Apples sales this quarter, that's what the general public think :rolleyes:.

SPUY767
Apr 30, 2007, 07:17 AM
OS X would never court such an ugly broad.

Things that Vista won:

Performance: Why is it that the only thing that can run SETI @ Home any faster than my Mac running Tiger is My Mac running a CLI linux distro? Vista is about 15-20% slower running this number crunching behemoth.

Usability: A more subjective thing has never been considered. There is only ONE feature of Windows that I could see myself liking on my Mac, and that is the ability to go to the run menu and type in the name of the Application that I want to run. And that's only because in windows I have to navigate through a nine layer deep start menu whereas in Tiger I need only to right-click the Applications forlder on my Dock.

What exactly was the final test? O yeah, there wasn't one, just some points arbitrarily thrown at Vista to give it the win while pretending to be fair about it.

Granted, it is C|Net and I don't know why I should expect more than that.

For a more objective perspective, El Reg can always be counted on for a humorous, yet accurate perspective. El Reg (http://www.regdeveloper.co.uk/2007/04/29/vista_end_dream/)

mainstreetmark
Apr 30, 2007, 08:20 AM
Things that Vista won:
Usability: A more subjective thing has never been considered. There is only ONE feature of Windows that I could see myself liking on my Mac, and that is the ability to go to the run menu and type in the name of the Application that I want to run. And that's only because in windows I have to navigate through a nine layer deep start menu whereas in Tiger I need only to right-click the Applications forlder on my Dock.

Might I suggest Spotlight for this. It might take a bit more keyboarding to get down to "Top Hit", but it does it.

Or, as a nifty alternative, might i suggest Quicksilver, which lets you do that to any app (or file or URL, and also has other features like iTunes controls, etc..)

mkrishnan
Apr 30, 2007, 09:05 AM
Methinks t'was a slow newsday at C|Net...

Makes C|Net USA look like a fine journalistic organization! :eek:

edi
Apr 30, 2007, 09:14 AM
Might I suggest Spotlight for this. It might take a bit more keyboarding to get down to "Top Hit", but it does it.

Or, as a nifty alternative, might i suggest Quicksilver, which lets you do that to any app (or file or URL, and also has other features like iTunes controls, etc..)

I also love Namely for doing this. It's free and you can download it here:

http://amarsagoo.info/namely/index.shtml

mkrishnan
Apr 30, 2007, 09:21 AM
I also love Namely for doing this. It's free and you can download it here:

http://amarsagoo.info/namely/index.shtml

It would be de-loverly if Leopard could make it so that Spotlight had maybe some extra hotkeys to pre-trigger it to only search for certain kinds of things... I find myself using Spotlight to open apps not too infrequently, and it works fine, but if I could use a different hotkey and only get apps, that might be nice.

macFanDave
Apr 30, 2007, 10:08 AM
They could have written much better prose than that. It would have been easy and funny to adapt well-known Shakespearean references to this story.

I may have cut them some slack if they got the right answer in the end.

Master Atrus
Apr 30, 2007, 10:51 AM
First of all, I hope CNet has better things to do than write this, but apparently not. After losing IQ points for reading it, I couldn't help but laugh at this one line.

"If this was a real sword fight and Baron Vista's sword temporarily stopped responding, it's doubtful Count OS X would stop to let him press ctrl-alt-del."

If that isn't Windows Vista to a 't' then I don't know what is.

starflyer
Apr 30, 2007, 12:04 PM
So Microsoft's 5 years in the making Vista beats Apple's 2 year old Tiger just barely acording to c-net. Way to go M$. :rolleyes:

nagromme
Apr 30, 2007, 12:39 PM
Spotlight tip:

PRess Command-Space, type part of an app name, then press Command-Return.

You'll get the Top Hit, which will be the app.

Snowy_River
Apr 30, 2007, 12:42 PM
Might I suggest Spotlight for this. It might take a bit more keyboarding to get down to "Top Hit", but it does it...

Holding down the command key will automatically select the Top Hit, so you can then just hit return. Not that much more keyboarding...

As for the article, I was hoping for something much better, and was gravely disappointed. I've actually found the posts here much more entertaining than the article itself. The point that the last test wasn't anything at all, just points thrown to Vista, was well made. Considering the last test, it mentioned ISPs not supporting Macs (I haven't seen that issue in 10 years), and it commented that the Mac's outfit (read "fancy industrial design") cost too much (but have they done an honest price comparison?). All in all, poorly done.

And, of course, the final blow to this article would be to compare the number of new Mac users this year to the number of new Vista users this year. Sure, there may well be more new Vista users, but I doubt the difference is that staggering. Almost everyone I know is steering well clear of Vista for the time being...

Qunchuy
Apr 30, 2007, 12:44 PM

The "bit more keyboarding" necessary is simply to hold the Command key. Zap! the highlight moves to the Top Hit, where a tap on the Return key launches the app.

Command-space [type name of app, wait briefly for it to be found] Command-Return. It's fast. It's easy. It works for me every time (because I don't name documents the same as applications I want to use).

killmoms
Apr 30, 2007, 12:44 PM
It would be de-loverly if Leopard could make it so that Spotlight had maybe some extra hotkeys to pre-trigger it to only search for certain kinds of things... I find myself using Spotlight to open apps not too infrequently, and it works fine, but if I could use a different hotkey and only get apps, that might be nice.

That actually has a name! It's called Quicksilver. ;)

mattscott306
Apr 30, 2007, 12:45 PM
Hehe- while rather un-proffesional I enjoyed it!

mkrishnan
Apr 30, 2007, 12:50 PM
That actually has a name! It's called Quicksilver. ;)

But does the new quicksilver actually do it inside the existing spotlight menubar item? That's all I meant.

pilotError
Apr 30, 2007, 01:35 PM
What does the Hardware have to do with an OS comparison?

The geniuses bring up Greenpeace and Hardware when comparing software.

b0tt094
Apr 30, 2007, 02:47 PM
That has got to be the biggest BS I heard today... exspecialy the part aout the minimize cloe and maximize buttons and how they all look the same, Its not like they change, theyre always int he same space, after using two windows u know eactly which are which and you will never forget

BornAgainMac
Apr 30, 2007, 06:10 PM
well that was a waste of time I stopped when they claimed that Vista was faster than OS X.

Yes, it believe it is faster at making you switch back to XP. It also was a huge disappointment for gamers.