PDA

View Full Version : The angelfire site is back (the scanned powermac image)

TMA
Jun 21, 2003, 02:06 PM
Hey all,

Sorry if this is posted else where or buried in a forum somewhere - It's too busy recently to check these things.

The guy who originally 'leaked' the supposed scanned image of the Power Mac G5 has returned with a new address. He provides some explanations and a little more info. Weather you believe it or not (I'm about 50/50), I think it's an interesting read.

http://www.angelfire.com/cantina/infinite/

Dont Hurt Me
Jun 21, 2003, 02:11 PM
well if that is it all i can say is apple should hire some of the people making the other g5's. of the many we have seen this one and the stubby MDD have to be my last choices. If this is really it i would think they could do better. anyways i guess its what is on the inside that counts. I hope this is not it.

GigaWire
Jun 21, 2003, 02:14 PM
don't know, but i think that may very well be it.

TMA
Jun 21, 2003, 02:21 PM
Yeah it seems that alot of people find this design ugly. I actually like it, the solid feel and minimalistic styling gives me the impression of 'professional' I would estimate maybe a third of folks like them.

Saying that, I hope that folks aren't letting the design influence their desision on weather they think this is 'real' or not. I think it is probably easier to say it's 'fake' if you think the design is ugly because you don't believe Apple would release something looking like that. I find myself wanting to know what this would look like in person, which perhaps is making me want to believe the story. <slaps wrist> ;)

This guy seems to believe what he's writing, I think it's likely he's not lying. But even if that is true it does not mean we will see this on Monday - It could be a rejected design or some kind of xStation (whatever that is btw)

Dont Hurt Me
Jun 21, 2003, 02:26 PM
lets hope apple shoved the 970 into some other style cases for developers or whoever and this is what he saw. Macs inspire and this does not inspire me the least.i like this one but its most likely not it either.

billyboy
Jun 21, 2003, 02:37 PM
Looks like the sort of thing you saw at airports before the threat of terrorist bombings got them banned.

Eniregnat
Jun 21, 2003, 07:51 PM
There are two things I know about Apple.
1.) If you manage to get employee as a contract employee and they ask you to become full time, you get one chance. Say no, and they aren’t going to ask again. If you get the brass ring, take it.
2.) only really stupid employees jeopardize their jobs to inform the Mac community. Despite the regular signing of NDAs, Apple makes it worth the employee’s while not to disclose important information. They don’t give any bonuses, at least non that I have heard of, but employment there seems like a good thing. Though I do know that the dogs codeing seem to feel that they are overworked and underpaid, and that management seems to ride the subornates hard all the way down the path.

If I read it correctly, the person clames to not be an Apple emploiee, but they also alude that they are connected. It just seems strange.

If any of the posted information is true, I would say that the this is one stupid employee. Would you jepordize a minimum 30k a year job to leak information?

I skeptical. Besides, I hate being told the ending of a good story.

utilizer
Jun 21, 2003, 07:58 PM
That box better not be the one; if Steve thinks the Segway is ugly, then using his scale of beauty, this is FUGLY!

I sure hope the guy with the angelfire web site is totally wrong. Only way this design would have been approved would be to tie Steve into a chair, and the CFO and other bean-counters saying "this is the only way we're going to be able to get it under $3,500!"

No way, no how. Design is key and I believe John Ive would have committed suicide by now if he approved this design also!

Captnroger
Jun 21, 2003, 08:24 PM
Just give me something slick and quiet that I can show off on my desktop, that's all I ask. can we all say CUBE?!?!

Rezet
Jun 21, 2003, 11:11 PM
Whats wrong with the G4 cases? I'd just change the color slightly for G5, just like they did when G4 was introduced.
So far, all the speculated designs that I've seen look like crap. From "HP PCs" type of cases to somewhat stylish garbage cans.

I say G4 case is still the best.

iJon
Jun 21, 2003, 11:28 PM
thats not the case, that pic has been floating around spymac for a long time now. dont worry guys, apple doesnt use white backgrounds.

iJon