Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Backtothemac

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 3, 2002
San Destin Florida
OK brothers and sisters I need help here. My family and I went to the Gymnastics tourney here at Alabama tonight, and when we left, I put our Flower Power iMac to sleep. We came back, and when I clicked the mouse to wake it up, the screen was almost totally black except for yellows and whites. Whites were yellow, and yellows were blue, and everything else was black. Restarted, same thing. Reset PRAM, same thing. Move to another outlet, same thing. Put it back, same thing. Restart, and slapped the hell out of the side, and it started working again? Gremlins? Bad connection on the monitor cable inside? Any ideas at all?

Thanks in advance.
Oh, it is an iMac 600 SE Flower Power, with 1GB of Ram. Thanks in advance.

Beej

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2002
...or it might just be that your monitor is on the way out. A lot of CRTs do funky colour things (that's the techincal term) just before they die.

MacAztec

macrumors 68040
Oct 28, 2001
San Luis Obispo, CA
Try...

Taking apart your imac. Just make sure everything is connected, and nothing is broken. It should only take you 20 minutes from when you take it apart to when you are booting it up.

mac15

macrumors 68040
Dec 29, 2001
Bad Idea
Ring your local apple store or apple themselves first
before you take apart your imac

MacAztec

macrumors 68040
Oct 28, 2001
San Luis Obispo, CA
??

Originally posted by mac15
Bad Idea
Ring your local apple store or apple themselves first
before you take apart your imac

I have taken my iMac apart like 4 times. Nothing bad about it. Its actually quite simple. All u do is unscrew the screws in the back, then pop off the bottom thingy. Then unscrew the monitor/power cable and you are set. Nothing confusing or bad about it.

mac15

macrumors 68040
Dec 29, 2001
I just don't want the poor fella to stuff his computer
and how does he know what he's looking for

Onyxx

macrumors regular
May 5, 2001
sounds like you have some funky connections on either your analog board (trouble here if you do) or just something loose between your monitor and the video card. if you want to know what the stuff inside your imac actually is, go on hotline to one of the mac help servers and download the imac service manuals. very very helpful.

oh and by the way i had a little problem like that too. my imac 400 se wouldn't wake up, boot up, or even give me a sad mac. i thought it was the analog board but it turned out to be the motherboard. its now a conversation piece that sits under my desk due to the price of a motherboard replacement. good luck with your machine.

IndyGopher

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2001
Indianapolis, IN
If it's a Flower Power it should still be under warranty.. they were released about a year ago.. make the call quick before your warranty runs out. You aren't describing a color shift, you're describing a gun completely out on the monitor. The fact that smacking it made it work is actually a bad sign... as is the fact it just up and did it while sitting in one spot. Sure, it could be a solder joint that's gone wiggy, but I suspect it's more insidious. We've given last rites to half a dozen of the slot-loading era iMacs in the last 4 months... they now sit decapitated with VGA monitors attached. (I also would not suggest you muck about with the monitor portion of an iMac, or any other all-in-one unless you know what you're doing... a hair dryer will give you a really nasty shock... a toaster will make you a squeal like a wee piggie... but a monitor will just plain kill you. I love my iMacs, but I would hate to see someone die for one.)

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Sounds like one of two things:

1) Poor connection between the monitor and video output, or
2) CRT tube dying

I think the first is more likely, since whacking it a good one brought it back (ain't it funny how often that works?).

Backtothemac

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 3, 2002
San Destin Florida
OMG, Thanks for all of the help! It slept all night last night, and I just woke it up and it is fine. I just bought this iMac in December from smalldog. It was new never used, just an extra one that they had in stock. I was loosing my mind since my wife needs it for AutoCad this summer (believe it or not is runs really well in OS 9 with VPC running Windows NT 4.0), but all seems well. I will call the local repair shop Monday, and get it in for service before it dies all together.

Thanks again for all of the help.
Chuck

MacAztec

macrumors 68040
Oct 28, 2001
San Luis Obispo, CA
Originally posted by Backtothemac
OMG, Thanks for all of the help! It slept all night last night, and I just woke it up and it is fine. I just bought this iMac in December from smalldog. It was new never used, just an extra one that they had in stock. I was loosing my mind since my wife needs it for AutoCad this summer (believe it or not is runs really well in OS 9 with VPC running Windows NT 4.0), but all seems well. I will call the local repair shop Monday, and get it in for service before it dies all together.

Thanks again for all of the help.
Chuck

Glad to see its all working out! ;)

stoid

macrumors 601
Apple Multiscan 15

We used to have an old Apple Multiscan 15 inch screen with built-in speakers. We got it at the same time as a Performa 6320CD. After 3 or 4 years the red started giving out. all the other coors worked perfectly, the red wold just intermittantly go out, and then minutes later switch back on. Then on day, the red was gone R.I.P and never seen again. Aple agreed to fix it, after we gt it back, it worked fine, for about 2 months. Same problem. Apple gave us a refund on repair costs, and we bought a new monitor.

Ensign Paris

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2001
Europe
I had the same problem with a base 350mhz iMac a few months back, it turned out to be an earlier Brown out (Low Voltage) throughout our house.

Ensign

MacAztec

macrumors 68040
Oct 28, 2001
San Luis Obispo, CA
Originally posted by stoid
CRTs have always been a major pain in the ass, thank you Apple for doing away with them!

Yea, now all Apple has to do is lower the 17in screen price to 699! The 15in should be like 449, or 499. 600 and 1000 dollars for 15in and 17in? Get outta hea!

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Originally posted by Mac_User

Yea, now all Apple has to do is lower the 17in screen price to 699! The 15in should be like 449, or 499. 600 and 1000 dollars for 15in and 17in? Get outta hea!

YES! We've mentioned this before, but it bears repeating. I would be tickled pink (kinda like krossfyter's iPod :p ) if Apple lowered their LCD prices.
People love the looks and quality, they just can't get over the sticker shock (myself included).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.