Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mdmt619

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 25, 2006
Hi everyone, I'm looking into gettin an Apple TV sometime soon and I had a few questions that I couldn't find answers to from playing around with one at the apple store:

1) Does the Apple TV have the same ability to group compilations together like iTunes and iPods can?

2) Are TV shows further sorted by season after you select the name of the TV show?

3) Will Apple TV use the speed of the entire wireless network or just the computer it's connecting to? For example, if I have a Mac Book Pro that supports 802.11n, but my home router is 802.11g, will the Apple TV stream at 802.11n speeds or 802.11g speeds?

Thanks!
Matt

neven

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2006
Portland, OR
I can answer the first two only tentatively -

1. I believe that compilations are grouped in the same way as on iPod

2. TV Shows appear to be sorted by season (but not marked with the season # in the list; this shows up in details after you select an episodE)

And I'm pretty sure about 3. - all of AppleTV's network traffic goes through the router. It doesn't connect "directly" to the computers, so yes, your router is your bottleneck.

Scarpad

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2005
Ma
I can answer the first two only tentatively -

1. I believe that compilations are grouped in the same way as on iPod

2. TV Shows appear to be sorted by season (but not marked with the season # in the list; this shows up in details after you select an episodE)

And I'm pretty sure about 3. - all of AppleTV's network traffic goes through the router. It doesn't connect "directly" to the computers, so yes, your router is your bottleneck.

Yeah there's no folder Hierachy, so even if you have your shows broken up to individual Folders for Different Seasons, they will show under the catagory as one big list, it'll sort by Season and episode number, but unfortunately it does so in reverse with the newest episode first. I wish it would do it in Ascending order, but I can live with it

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
Seasons show up in numerical order with the earliest at the bottom. I have 3 seasons of Friends on my ATV. Ep 1 of Season 1 is right at the bottom.

The only gripe I have about ATV is the HD size. Should be at least 100GB. However Streaming is very quick on even my 'g' network so its not too bad a gripe.

pianoman

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
for #3:

Apple's website seems to imply that speed is limited by your existing wireless network:

Apple said:
Your computer is in your office. Your TV is in your living room. Apple TV brings them together using its built-in 802.11 wireless capability and your existing wireless network.
(http://www.apple.com/appletv/sync.html)

i.e., the :apple:TV and the computer don't connect to each other directly - they connect via a router. the router's speed would then determine the speed of the connection.

mdmt619

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 25, 2006
Thanks for all of the responses!

Anyone have the final word on whether Apple TV groups your musics by compilations like the option that iTunes and iPods have?

When I asked if Apple TV sorts by seasons, I was thinking of the way that front row does it where you first select the TV show and then select the season and then the specific episode. Is this not the case with Apple TV?

Thanks!

imlucid

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2007
Thanks for all of the responses!

When I asked if Apple TV sorts by seasons, I was thinking of the way that front row does it where you first select the TV show and then select the season and then the specific episode. Is this not the case with Apple TV?

Thanks!

Correct, Apple TV does not have a separate level for individual seasons, it lists all shows in episode order.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.