Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skrutzen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 3, 2007
Can someone please explain to me how Visual Hub works? I've downloaded the trial and I don't quite get how to convert a dvd.

Obviously, the interface is very straightforward but, am I dragging the dvd itself to the window or am I ripping it using something else like handbrake and then using visual hub? And if that's the case, is there a point if all I'm doing is ripping my dvds to view on my :apple: TV?

neven

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2006
Portland, OR
VisualHub converts digital video files of all formats; it doesn't rip from optical media. Handbrake is, indeed, what you want for that.

You'd use VisualHub if you had previously ripped DVDs in some other format; if you get to that point, I very enthusiastically recommend VisualHub. It's simple and fast.

skrutzen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 3, 2007
Thanks a lot. I figured that's what visual hub was for. I'll continue using handbrake.

Scarpad

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2005
Ma
Thanks a lot. I figured that's what visual hub was for. I'll continue using handbrake.

Handbrake only converts from a DVD, Iso, or Ripped Directory, it won't convert from other formats I've been using Apple TV Converter from the PSP Video 9 guys on the PC, but Visualhub would be good for this on the Mac.

blackbones

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2003
Philadelphia
You can rip first with Mac the Ripper and then convert with VisualHub.

There are a few benefits to this that I've found. Namely, MTR's ability to break newer copy protections that Handbrake cannot handle. Also ripping first and then converting from VOB to MP4 seems to put less stress on your optical drive, in both HandBrake and VisualHub you can create a queue, convert overnight etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.